The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old March 4, 2006, 06:50 PM   #1
westphoenix

Issue Mexican Gang, Mafia, Sur13?

I remember reading something somewhere that an issue of SWAT was going to have an article about SUR13 I think it was. I am interested in this and wanted to make sure I didn't miss it or not get that issue.

Thanks,
westphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2006, 07:28 PM   #2
rapier144

August 2005 and march 2006 issues of SWAT have articles on ms-13 in them.
Old March 5, 2006, 03:25 AM   #3
westphoenix

When should I be getting the March 06?
westphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2006, 08:45 AM   #4
rapier144

I couldn't tell you that but i bought the march issue at Books A Million yesterday.
Old March 5, 2006, 09:39 AM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

WestPhoenix-
March is still arriving to some of the western states. You should have it any day.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2006, 11:58 AM   #6
sjstill

Was driving down a back road to work last week, and I saw a mini barn in a fairly new housing edition with "SUR-13" painted on the backside.

I run the shooting range for the local Parks department. We have a staff meeting every week. Couple weeks ago, one person had reported gunfire in the main park (this is a 3000+ acre municipal park!). One of the Rangers had caught the perps - SUR-13 members.

The Hispanic population in Indy is increasing rapidly. I'm sure there are some bad apples in there, too.

The primary target is what we call the thoracic triangle. Shots to this area tend to make people FDGB (“fall down go boom”).
sjstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006, 02:31 AM   #7
IndianaDean

sjstill, was the shooting at EC?
IndianaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006, 06:12 AM   #8
sjstill

Dean,

Yep, the main park. Don't know all the circumstances, will try to find out more.

The primary target is what we call the thoracic triangle. Shots to this area tend to make people FDGB (“fall down go boom”).
Old March 13, 2006, 10:07 AM   #9
rick_reno

Quote:
One of the Rangers had caught the perps - SUR-13 members.
What is SUR-13? I've never heard of this group. How do you identify these SUR-13 members? Do they wear hats or tee shirts with logos on them? tattoos? ID cards?
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006, 10:52 AM   #10
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Rick,
I have not heard of SUR-13 either and so I can't provide any info. We have, however, run two articles on the notorious La Mara Salvatrucha, also known as MS-13 (August 2005 and March 2006 issues).

The gang started in El Salvador with many of them being members of the guerilla group Frente Farabundo Martí Para La Liberación (FMLN). Predominant “colors” are blue and white and members usually have numerous tattoos. I can't begin to distill all the info from two in-depth articles here, but suffice to say that these are very bad folks.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006, 11:36 AM   #11
sjstill

Quote:
What is SUR-13? I've never heard of this group. How do you identify these SUR-13 members? Do they wear hats or tee shirts with logos on them? tattoos? ID cards?
I think they wear plaid skirts & kneesocks.....

A simple Google search, if you took the time, would reveal the following;

http://www.google.com/search?q=sur+1...&start=20&sa=N

Old March 13, 2006, 03:07 PM   #12
coronet1970RTguy

I new to the board and wanted to tell you that SUR-13 and MS-13 are mexican gangs that hate each other. We have both here in my area. I know we hear, see and read more about MS-13 but SUR-13 is just as bad.

I have to tell you all my story on the MS and SUR-13 thing. About two years ago I was watching tv late it was about 2 am and I heard talking outside my window. I got up and looked out side, I started counting and got to 15 before I heard them say you take the front door will take the back door. I know there was atleast 30 that night, I start banging on the window and they look up at me laughing and they are walking torwards my house, IM yelling to wake up my mom and dad and no one answers me. I grab my gun and go to the hall still no answer from my family. The first group got to my front step when he saw my gun and me point it at him and sliped while yelling gun. They all scattered at that time and my family wakes up just in time to see them running. Im told they were doing a jump in type thing were they break into local houses and beat everyone up to join the gang. The gang task force here has looked into the issue and we still have problems in my neighbor hood. I know from what I have read and seen this was MS-13 the most hated and worse of the gangs. In our city you cant even go to the store with out the gangs being around and now there is a turf war starting and my neighbor hood is right in the middle of it. This neighbor hood used to be really nice and still is just for the ass whipes coming in to try and put fear into us, next time they wont run I wont let them.
coronet1970RTguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006, 07:21 PM   #13
Daniel BOON

Las Vegas is an eyesore

I bought the march issue of swat mag; in it was the article of ms-13, I found it to be interesting;
here in lost wages, the gang issue is out of control; one of the march articles talked about Krav Maga force training; because of the gauntlet of transients/gangsters we contend with when going to wal mart, or any place outside our home, I decided to try the Krav Maga.
Daniel BOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2006, 11:34 PM   #14
IndianaDean

Man, that's a shame. I guess it's good we can begin shooting centerfire rifles there now.

You know me by the way, sjstill. I go to Plainfield SS all the time, and we usually converse at the table at the Indy 1500. I'll be there I think Saturday.
I have a bunch of guns I'm going to try to sell.
Old March 14, 2006, 12:19 PM   #15
Chris Phelps

Quote:
MS (Mara Salvatrucha) is not a Mexican gang per se,

Especially considering their roots are El Salvador (Capital of Brasil, South America).

They aren't even from Central America.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Chris Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2006, 12:53 PM   #16
Jeff Randall

uh, last time I checked El Salvador was still in Central America. Right below Guatemala and just above Nicaragua.
Old March 14, 2006, 07:49 PM   #17
sjstill

Hmmm, I'd heard of new math, but not new geography.....

Old March 14, 2006, 11:19 PM   #18
IndianaDean

New Geography. I like that.
Old March 15, 2006, 12:10 AM   #19
garrettwc

Chris is basically right. Just 240 years too late.

Quote:
Salvador was founded in 1549 by Thome de Souza, the Portuguese governor of Brazil, and remained its capital until 1763.
This city in Brazil should not be confused with El Salvador, which as already stated is a country in Central America.
garrettwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2006, 08:09 AM   #20
Jeff Randall

Latin America likes this word and uses it a lot in names of cities, roads, etc. It means "savior" in English.
Old March 20, 2006, 07:59 PM   #21
deputy tom

I think they wear plaid skirts & kneesocks..... DUH,that's MY Gang and those are Kilts Argyle hose tops.tom.

An end will come on the world, but love and music will endure.
Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Old Scottish Gaelic proverb
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2006, 07:32 PM   #22
Vitamin G

I have a client i work with... She's covered in gang tattoo's, and from the Wilmington, DE area, but her little SUR-13 subchapter apparently operates in Kennett Square, PA.
Vitamin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2006, 08:55 PM   #23
Smoke Screen

Just as a Clarification

The tattoo you saw, SUR-13 is as Eric said. Sur in Spanish means "South". 13 indicates affiliation with the MS-13, but there are different cells of the MS-13 all over the states and other countries. SUR-13 is big in California, but just as a point, MS-13 is NOT the most popular hispanic gang in CA, very far from. Groups such as the ESL's (East Side Longos), of Long Beach and LA control more "area" than MS 13 does. (sur toros), (Los rojos, etc00. I think it was discovery that did a special on MS-13. All gangs suck and are out of control, but MS-13 is especially violent in other countries that don't have as much law as we in the States do.

Paz sin asesina se puede lograr.
Old March 24, 2006, 09:35 PM   #24
SD_Chop

The president of El Sal. is kicking them out of the country and they are coming here. Homeland Security is fighting to have them put on the US terrorist list so we can deport them aswell. They are a very violent gang and travel in numbers even if it does not seem so. You would be surprised how many would be in a mall or something as once. They wear dark blue and white. One can whistle or clap and 10 more will come out of nowhere. They wanted to start a chapter here in the fairfax area so the "bosses" said ok but you have to kill a fairfax cop to earn your right. There were 4 attempts all failure but the numbers seem to grow anyways. One guy they jumped and cut his fingers off. If they are not stopped they will be all over, not just cities and subs. They have been seen here in Va in the moutains, rivers, farm land, everywhere.
SD_Chop is offline   Reply With Quote