The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 31, 2006, 03:33 PM   #1
Glockamolie

One for the good guys (and gals!)...

This woman police officer apparently knows what she's doing...

From The Houston Chronicle:
An off-duty Richmond police officer shot two men, killing one and wounding another, as they attempted to carjack her in a northwest Harris County apartment complex parking lot this morning, police said.

The incident happened about 6:30 a.m. at 11011 Pleasant Colony in the Trails of Steeplechase apartments, Jersey Village Police Chief Charles N. Wedemeyer said in a prepared statement.

Two armed men entered the officer's personal vehicle as she was putting her keys in the ignition. As one man pointed a pistol at her head and instructed her to move over, she pulled out her weapon and fired, striking two of the suspects.

One man was pronounced dead at the scene while another was flown by LifeFlight to Memorial Hermann Hospital. His condition is unknown.

The Richmond officer was not in uniform, and her name has not been released. The shooting is being investigated by Jersey Village police, Texas Rangers and the Harris County District Attorney's Office.

Good for her!
Old January 31, 2006, 03:38 PM   #2
pax

Sounds like a good shoot from where I'm sitting.

And obviously the tactic worked in that situation, which is the acid test.

Gotta wonder though, whatever happened to "Don't draw on a drawn gun"? Suppose BG was actually waving the gun around, rather than pointing it directly at her? Or do you suppose she used some method to distrat the BGs before she drew & fired?

Good work in any case.

pax
Old January 31, 2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Chris Phelps

Quote:
otta wonder though, whatever happened to "Don't draw on a drawn gun"?

It all went out the window with the "move over" command. I look at it this way... If I am being ordered out of the car by gunpoint, take the car. It will be in my best interest to not protest. However, the 'move over' indicates that they have every intent to kidnap her and harm/murder her. Therefor, drawing, IMO, was the best move.
Bushmaster Superlight AR-15 5.56mm / Custom 24" Heavy BBL Varmint AR-15 5.56mm / Ruger M77 .257 Roberts / Ruger MKI 22LR Pistol / EAA Witness 9mm Pistol / Daisy 2202 22LR / Remington Viper 522 22LR / Stevens 200 .223 / Savage 10FP 24" .308 / Mauser 98 Sporter 30-06
Old January 31, 2006, 04:12 PM   #4
SMITH910

You'd be dead in Wisconsin

To bad if that happened in Wisconsin we would be carjacked and dead. That could have been different 30 minutes ago when the override veto fell through by 2 votes. To bad most of the Democrats here in office think too little of our lives and freedoms that we can defend ourselves. Glad she was able to do what we all should have the right to do if this type of crap happens.
Old January 31, 2006, 04:15 PM   #5
NBT

Very nice, wish it were caught on surveillance tape so we can see it on ogrish.com.

It's very tough and risky drawing on drawn when you are that close and in a vulnerable situation such as sitting down in your car unbuckling your seat belt with 2 bad guys on both sides of you.
Old January 31, 2006, 04:19 PM   #6
pax

Quote:
It all went out the window with the "move over" command. I look at it this way... If I am being ordered out of the car by gunpoint, take the car. It will be in my best interest to not protest. However, the 'move over' indicates that they have every intent to kidnap her and harm/murder her. Therefor, drawing, IMO, was the best move.
Bingo.

I missed that part. Guess I assumed they'd commanded her to move over as in out of the car rather than over as in over one seat.

Good catch.

pax
Old January 31, 2006, 04:20 PM   #7
Mikeyboy

+1 Chris P...If it was get out of the car, I would not have taken that risk. Move over...she could have acted like she was shimming over to the passenger seat when she drew her weapon. Scary stuff...good for her.
Old January 31, 2006, 04:20 PM   #8
stephen426

Quote:
One man was pronounced dead at the scene while another was flown by LifeFlight to Memorial Hermann Hospital. His condition is unknown.
Why are they wasting money sending out a helicopter for this scumbag? I would have called him a cab or lent him a bike to drag his own butt to the hospital. Who do you think is going to get the bill for that flight? I'm willing to bet it is not going to be the scumbag who tried to carjack the officer. Besides, if he lives, he will probably try to sue the police agency for his injuries.
Old January 31, 2006, 04:25 PM   #9
SMITH910

Let's pay for this guys hospital!

He will be treated like a good citizen and all his hospital fees will be paid by you and I, cause he ain't paying them! One reason the rates are so high for everyone else.
Old January 31, 2006, 04:34 PM   #10
Pointer

PAX

Quote:
Sounds like a good shoot from where I'm sitting.
+1

Any shoot where the good guy walks away...

And the BG's get the worst of it...

30-06 FOREVER
Old January 31, 2006, 04:55 PM   #11
rapier144

At least she didn't drop her gun! ( Reference to another thread )
Old January 31, 2006, 06:29 PM   #12
Glockamolie

Yeah, I figured that women with guns, and women police officers both get plenty of negative press, so the fact that this woman police officer got the best of TWO thugs warranted a hearty HELL YEAH!
Old January 31, 2006, 06:59 PM   #13
Optical Serenity

Awesome shoot. Hope it gets good press, tells the bozos out there what happens when they come across an armed person.
Old January 31, 2006, 07:59 PM   #14
epr105

Sounds like she needed one more follow up shot
Old January 31, 2006, 10:18 PM   #15
springmom

She did a great job

I hope that if I ever get into that kind of hot water, God forbid, that I could do as well.

She had to have oxygen afterward to catch her breath. But SHE was able to breathe. Good shoot.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old January 31, 2006, 10:18 PM   #16
springmom

She did a great job

I hope that if I ever get into that kind of hot water, God forbid, that I could do as well.

She had to have oxygen afterward to catch her breath. But SHE was able to breathe. Good shoot.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old January 31, 2006, 10:28 PM   #17
Glockamolie

A little more about her...22 years old with 6 months on the force. BOTH men were armed, with a 3rd as a getaway driver!

Holly Mong, 22, was not in uniform but was on her way to work when she was attacked in the parking lot on Pleasant Colony near Steepleway at about 6:30 a.m.

"She started the ignition and a (man) with a mask and gloves approached her, put a gun to her head and pushed her over into the passenger side of her car," said Chief Charles Wedemeyer, with the Jersey Village Police Department.

A second man jumped into the back seat. Wong fought back with her own weapon.

"I think this happened, like, in a few seconds. I believe it was a life-and-death struggle in the car and she managed to get her weapon out. Both of them were armed with handguns. And there were several shots fired. We know that she fired shots. We're not sure about the other," Wedemeyer said.

One of the men died on the scene. The other was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital. He had been shot at least five times in the head and chest, officials said.

A third suspected attacker was found nearby hiding in what was believed to be a getaway car.
Old February 1, 2006, 01:26 AM   #18
pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by epr105
Sounds like she needed one more follow up shot
I think she might have been in need of a reload ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by news article
The other was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital. He had been shot at least five times in the head and chest, officials said.
... and in any case, the rule is that you've gotta stop shooting when the other guy quits being a threat. I would say that after five rounds to both head and chest, the chances are that the guy wasn't fighting back so good anymore.

pax
Old February 1, 2006, 08:51 AM   #19
texdawg

good for her!!!! i agree with the comments on life flighting the bad guy. to hell with him, buzzards gotta eat too.
Old February 1, 2006, 09:27 AM   #20
garryc

Several issues here. I'd draw even in the face of a weapon if I was a woman in this situation. When they told her to move over they are taking the car for money and her for sicko fun. Better to get killed now than after being gang raped and brutalized. What do you think would have happened after they discovered she was a cop? If I was a woman, I think I would not have submitted even if I wasn't armed, let him shoot me now, when there might be witnesses, then later after his "recreation" at his leisure.
As far as the life flight. The supream court has ruled that when someone is in the custody of the state they are entitled to state of the art medical care. The last life flight I remember at my institution was a 78 yr old scum bag who had been convicted of molesting his grand children and then cutting off their fingers when they told their mother. Worth every penny of the $17,000 flight to a state of the art facility I'd say. ( would have been better to fly north and give him the heave hoo over Lake Erie.)
Mabe the new supream court will un-do some of the liberal crap of the last 40 years
Old February 1, 2006, 09:48 AM   #21
k9lwt

That's awesome-great job to her. It's nice to see people get what they deserve every now and then.

As far as calling/not calling for the helo-I am sure if they didn't and he died the scumbag's family would already be on the phone with an attorney filing a wrongful death lawsuit (just like the family of the LA bank robber that died from defensive fire from LAPD).

Last edited by k9lwt; February 1, 2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old February 1, 2006, 10:45 AM   #22
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9lwt
As far as callingnot calling for the helo-I am sure if they didn't and he died the scumbag's family would already be on the phone with an attorney filing a wrongful death lawsuit (just like the family of the LA bank robber that died from defensive fire from LAPD).
As far as I'm concerned, he was "dead on arrival" and an ambulance could have been sent... after making a donut run! We are dealing with a freaking car jacker who could have also been a kidnapper, rapist, and murderer had the officer not changed their plans. If the family sues for wrongful death, I'd say shoot them too. They are probably cut from the same cloth.
Old February 1, 2006, 10:50 AM   #23
k9lwt

I am sure that would work too.
Old February 1, 2006, 12:17 PM   #24
Optical Serenity

Well, you all know everything has to be done including sending a chopper because of course her the perp's families are gonna sue the officer and of course her dept, even though it wasn't an "on-duty" shooting.

And of course, hundreds of thousands will agree that the perps should not have been shot, that she should have complied or used a taser or something. That their lives were taken in vain..

Don't believe me? Wait and see...
Old February 1, 2006, 04:43 PM   #25
Glockamolie

This is Texas, and even better, it's Harris County. Harris County is VERY anti-criminal, with a conservative populace for the most part (moreso than Dallas, or God forbid, Austin, our own little slice of Hollywood idiocy). A civil suit won't make it. Sure, you can sue anyone for anything, but I'll bet at least a few of my own dollars that neither the dead guy's family nor the injured one gets a judgement.