The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 12, 2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Mountain_Man

Making a Stock

So I am getting into the smithy side of guns and really want to make a custom wood stock for my M91/30. How do I go about doing that? I have the patience and skill to learn the patience and skill of widdling away a piece of wood, but there seems to be a metal rod going through the stock and I suspect its not there for looks. I am most afraid of making a pretty stock, putting the gun in it and shooting a wood grenade.
Old March 12, 2012, 07:32 PM   #2
WarWolf

Hm i don't seem to have a rod running through mine. where do you see it? I've been wanting to make a "modern" mosin for awhile. But i want to have 2 so one can stay stock.
Old March 12, 2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Mountain_Man

Just below the chamber in the wood it looks like a bolt going through it and in the grip there is what seems like a screw going through that part.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Mountain_Man

Can the laminated stocks be sanded down to do something sort of like checkering and then sealed or lin seeded?
Old March 12, 2012, 10:48 PM   #5
Slopemeno

Boyds sells a decent, reasonably priced sporter stock. You could start with one of them and alter it to suit your project.
Old March 13, 2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Mountain_Man

Well I have one mosin thats a gift, postwar, pitted, forced matched POS with a beauty bore. I want to try to use a chisel or a wood burner to inscribe the butt for someone
Old March 13, 2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Mountain_Man

Can laminated stocks be sanded down and checkered?
Old March 13, 2012, 03:49 PM   #8
RickB

There's a good piece in the March 10, Shotgun News about making a stock from a wood blank. PM me your address, and I'll mail it to you.
Old March 13, 2012, 07:45 PM   #9
publius

Take a piece of wood and cut away everything that doesn't look like a stock. I have tried it before for a Ruger M77 and it is difficult. All I can say is take your time, it's going to take a while. The rods shouldn't be hard to put in.
Old March 13, 2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Mountain_Man

What kind of wood? Can I jsut go to lowes and buy a large piece of wood?
Old March 14, 2012, 10:21 AM   #11
WarWolf

try to get something like a 4x4 maybe about 3foot, or so. since it's your first time i wouldent get anything thats toooo much money. I'm not sure on wood prices but maybe try maple i know some stocks are made out of this. and it will look nice.
Old March 14, 2012, 06:34 PM   #12
603Country

Heck, I'm an official woodworker and I don't think I have the patience to make a stock from a chunk of wood. But...if I was gonna do that, some wood choices are:

Walnut (you can buy that from specialty hardwoods stores or off the internet)
Maple (mostly real light colored, but can be stained as desired. Can be had in some fabulous grain patterns)
Pecan/Hickory (tough and pretty)
Mesquite (pricey and you'd have to be really careful to get a good piece of wood with no splits in it. Mesquite is bad about that).
Osage Orange (beautiful, but splits bad when it dries and really tough to work with)
Elm (very tough wood and would work for gunstocks)
Cherry (gorgeous and I think it's tough enough for a stock)
Pine (no)
Sassafras (no)
Cedar (no)
Cypress (no)
Ash (ought to be Ok)
Redwood (I think no)
Then you have a zillion choices on imported woods, some of which are pretty enough to put tears in your eyes (Rosewood, Bocote, and Australian Blackwood). I made a rolling pin for a friend and did it in Blackwood. Prettiest thing I ever made, even if it was just a rolling pin. I guess that work of art is still in use rolling tortillas.

As for how I'd go about it, first I'd check the internet for ideas, but if I had to start today I'd take the old gunstock and measure all the dimensions. I'd take the new piece of wood and cut it to within 1/8 of an inch into a rectangular block of wood (maybe 6 inches tall, 3 inches thick or less, and whatever length is needed. Then sketch out the side image of the stock on the wood block and cut to within 1/8 or 1/4 inch in all directions. Now you have something that looks very roughly like the shape of a gunstock, and now the real detail work begins. The outside has to be shaped to what you want and the interior needs to be cut away as required. You need very sharp chisels and a steady hand for the inside work. A grinder and random orbit sander and belt sander can be used for roughing the outside. And about this point in the project, I'd probably call Boyd's, Stocky's, or Hogue. You gotta really want to do this.
Old March 24, 2012, 06:32 AM   #13
ripjack13

Also to add in some tools you will need....
files at least 10" long will be more user friendly...

1 of each is the basic starter set....

1/2 Round, Bastard
Rasp, 1/2 Round, Bastard Cut
Round, Bastard Cut
File Card And Brush to clean them with...

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2000...-File-Set.aspx

I got mine at Woodcraft, and they can be a little pricey, but..DO NOT get the files at Harbor Freight, or any kind of knock off store. They will not stay sharp for more than a day, and they are made cheaply. Invest a good quality set or individual ones. They will last a long time.

this set is $109.00 but you get a couple extra things that make the life of the file longer, a file pouch and handle, and a file card/brush
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200...-File-Set.aspx

^^^ that's the set I have...

This list is only a suggestion of the kind of files you will need. You do not have to get them at Woodcraft, but Home depot ,Ace Hardware, and Lowes also have good files. All I'm saying is don't skimp on quality, and you will only have to buy them once.

lowes does not sell any quality lumber for a gunstock. neither does Home depot. unless you are going to make it out of oak, and even then it's not really that good of quality....if you would like to practice on a piece of pine stock first, to see if you have the skill and mindset, and of course patience to do so, then please get a some wood there...I would suggest you doing that first, assuming you have limited wood working experience. But if you do have a woody background then here's a place to get good gunstock wood online if you go that route...

http://www.gobywalnut.com/walnut-gunstock-blanks.htm
great material, reasonable prices.

also when you are about to seat the barrel in the stock, this little product will help you immensely.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7...ING-BLACK-GOLD

Last edited by ripjack13; March 24, 2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old March 24, 2012, 04:22 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

That crossways thing through the stock is a recoil lug. The lug on the receiver bears against it to spread out the recoil and keep from battering the wood stock.

A stock recoil lug is usually used only on rifles that will undergo a lot of firing (like military rifles), or that have heavy recoil (like big bore sporters). Most sporter stock don't have them because they won't be fired enough or don't have enough recoil to crack the stock.

You can put one in your new stock if you want, but note that it has to be carefully fitted with the receiver; if there is a gap that allows a recoiling receiver to get a "running start", a cracked stock will become more, not less, likely.

Jim
Old March 25, 2012, 03:37 AM   #15
steveno

before I went into the Air Force I bought a walnut from Herter's (yes this was a long time ago). I never got around to doing anything with it until I got out so it looked like it would be a project to finally finish up. after messing around with it for a couple weeks I got it done. I decided there is a big reason why good stockmakers get the money they do. they have to have a LOT more patience than what I have.