The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 7, 2015, 02:42 PM   #26
buck460XVR

I think what CTD has going for them is their mass marketing system. They buy your name/address from someone and send you a few catalogs with a discount coupon enclosed. Once you order one time they continue to send you catalogs for years with a sticker attached claiming "this will be your last catalog unless you order again!". Similar to "The Sportsman's Guide", you have plenty of time before, in reality, it is really your last catalog. Like The Sportsman's Guide, they have good prices on some things, but specialize in surplus and no-name brand look alikes with little or no reputation. For every good thing they offer, there are 10 "iffy" products beside it in their catalog. When it comes to ammo, I have found that neither give the best price anywhere. Again, this is why they still had it when no one else did. I have not ordered from CTD or TSG for a long time. I rather get things that I know are of good quality, even if I need to pay a tad more. Return shipping generally eats up any savings. But, if others are happy with the prices and quality of their products, good for them. They must be doing something right to stay in business.
Old January 8, 2015, 01:38 PM   #27
FilthyHarry

Thank you for your input.

Yeah, went in there again yesterday. They were not busy, guy was kinda rude.
Old January 8, 2015, 02:40 PM   #28
ThomasT

Its not the price gouging and fact that they pulled guns off the shelf and website so they could reprice them during the AR panic that I won't deal with them ever again, this is why.

I was in the Ft Worth store one day and bought a couple of boxes of ammo. When I was checking I found out the young girl, about 18 or so was the owners daughter. His name is Dewayne and I don't remember the last name. Anyway when I found out she was the daughter I stated how much I liked the store and how well her dad had done for himself.

Well Mr. Dewayne came over, I guess he thought I was flirting with his daughter. I was about 51-52 at that time. So he walks over and says "something smells around here. Did you fart?" as he was looking at his daughter. She looked like she could have crawled in a hole.

I got my sack of stuff and left. Never again will I go in that store or order from them on line. What a #@*&%^$ing JERK. I wonder what he thought when she told what I was saying about him and his store and paying him a compliment?
Old January 8, 2015, 04:15 PM   #29
Mitchum

I purchased an extra mag from my Kahr CM45 along with a mag loader from CTD -- mag was about $5-$6 cheaper than anywhere else on line and loader was also cheaper. I used the standard shipping which was reasonable and received the order in 2 days. I also like having options between the warehouses (or other locations, whatever they are) which may be cheaper by combining when ordering other product.

I've compared other gear to other sites, some cheaper, some not. The mag and loader were the cheapest I've found.
Old January 9, 2015, 07:39 AM   #30
skoro

Quote:
What a #@*&%^$ing JERK.
It's shocking to learn that an organization with jerky policies is headed up by a slob.
Old January 9, 2015, 07:30 PM   #31

Their shipping cost is high and the fact that if the items you want ship from separate warehouses, the shipping costs out weigh any savings
Old January 10, 2015, 01:13 PM   #32
Crankgrinder

Man I hate to hear that about this Dewayne guy. Maybe I keep a short rope on my kids, maybe a bit protective, but no.
Old January 10, 2015, 07:37 PM   #33
ThomasT

Yep, the least he could have done was asked if there was a problem. I would have said "Nope, just telling your daughter how much I like your store". How simple would that have been? And far more professional. This was just before 2008 and the first ammo craziness.

And then the shooting world saw what they were really made from.
Old January 15, 2015, 06:34 PM   #34
godale

use to by utg bipods for my rimfires and low recoil rifles. over the last few years i have been able to catch cauldwells for next to the same price or just a few dollars more from midway. cant say they ever did me wrong when i bought from them though.
Old January 15, 2015, 08:24 PM   #35
orionengnr

I am driving distance from the Fort Worth store. Been several years since I've been there. Probably be several more before I go back. Maybe I'll attend their Going Out Of Business Sale one day.

Cheaper Than (Gold) Dust is what I call them...