The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2010, 07:02 PM   #1
nbrown

picked up a Mossberg 500...

I took advantage of the no sales tax in MA thing today and bought a new Mossberg 500 with an M4 style stock and some 00 buckshot. I can't wait to get it to the range. In the pic is a Spyderco Police 3 which also came in the mail today along with a Spyderco Endura 4 with the wave feature. Anybody else take advantage of the no sales tax? And if someone could PM me and let me know how to put pictures directly into a post i'd appreciate it

[/IMG]

Edit: put picture into post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0107.JPG (105.9 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by nbrown; August 15, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old August 14, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2
the rifleer

Thats a good looking shotgun. I love my 500, its absolutely perfect.

To post pics press the insert image button. ITs the one that looks like two mountains when you are typing a message. You just put the link in when you click it.
Old August 15, 2010, 11:45 AM   #3
nbrown

rifleer- thanks alot, i made a photobucket account and putting the picture in to the post from there worked np.
Old August 15, 2010, 11:53 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

For a fun conversation piece, it is a cool little number... But them shells protruding above the MUCH TOO LOW comb height of the stock may make a good cheek weld with some foam taped to the top of them...

For a true "Duty Gun" for home defense, self defense or survival duties, most end up with a traditional factory stock in wood or synthetic for truly efficient productive performance...

Some folks take longer to get to that point than others do...

Brent
Old August 15, 2010, 12:01 PM   #5
nbrown

hogdogs- yeah i just got it so i haven't had time to shoot it yet and find out what i like and don't like. I already have an 870 with a normal synthetic stock and a winchester 140 with a wood stock so i wanted something different. Im planning on getting a knoxx stock at somepoint because iv'e heard really good things about them
Old August 15, 2010, 12:08 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The Mossberg, and any gun with a tang safety tab, not only loses the versatility of grip and use options but further, makes a once unique feature into a poor location for the safety tab.

You now have to radically move the right hand from the grip to operate the safety.

These guns really were designed to be used with the traditional stock shape.
Just my two lincolns...
Brent
Old August 15, 2010, 12:18 PM   #7
nbrown

the saftey is really hard to use with this set up but it's something i can live with in a range gun. If it was a dedicated HD gun i can see how the saftey being on the top of the receiver would definetly be an issue, but right now its just a range toy
Old August 15, 2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Slamfire

I shot a lot of doves and squirrels with a Mossberg 500. Having a tang safety never slowed me down.