The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 31, 2013, 08:51 AM   #1
Gary Slider

New Mexico Honors Alaska . . PA Only Honors Maine Resident Permit

New Mexico has added Alaska to the list of states it will honor. New Mexico is moving in the right direction after a year ago dropping all the states it honored but 5 and then reposting most of them after political pressure was put on those in charge of the Firearms Unit. AK has Constitutional Carry and anyone 21 or older who can legally own a firearm can carry one concealed. With Constitutional Carry AK doesn’t need to make a statement that they will honor all other states permit/licenses but they do. http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-c...ty-agreements/

Pennsylvania announced it had signed a new agreement with Florida and no longer honors the FL Non-Resident. Rereading the Agreements Pennsylvania’s Agreement with Maine states the same thing. PA will only Honor the Maine Resident Permit. I have contacted the PA AG asking them to note these issues for FL and ME on their website. http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

North Dakota is reporting they are in the process of signing an agreement with Mississippi and they will not honor a MS Permit/License at this time. I can’t understand why they are waiting for an agreement. North Dakota will honor anyone who honors them and they honor Iowa which by law can not sign agreements. Iowa just honors all other states Permit/Licenses. Since 7/1/12 Mississippi has honored all other states permit/licenses. So this agreement will be signed sometime in the future but not sure why ND is waiting for a signed agreement.
http://www.ag.state.nd.us/BCI/CW/reciprocity.htm

As I have stated previous in posts many things are changing concerning firearms in many states. www.handgunlaw.us would appreciate a heads up on bills that have cleared both houses or signed by the governor. A link to the bill would be appreciated but a bill number is all I need to find the information. I want to thank those who have sent me information over the years. You assistance is very much appreciated.

These changes will be added to www.handgunlaw.us late this evening or early tomorrow.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old March 31, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2
RedBowTies88

Thanks for the info, I really hope PA doesn't decide to drop UT non-resident
Old March 31, 2013, 09:20 AM   #3
DMacLeod

I just got my renewal notice for PA and it seems renewal must be done in person. (stated in RED lettering)

Looks like I won't be renewing that one...
Old March 31, 2013, 09:56 AM   #4
press1280

FL and ME don't accept non-resident reciprocal permits, so PA is just returning the favor.
Old March 31, 2013, 10:21 AM   #5
rwilson452

PA as I understand it, the new License requires you to be photographed by their system. Therefore you must be present to win. PA has gone to a plastic card similar in size to a credit card. More durable and easier to keep in your wallet. Cost by law is $20
Old March 31, 2013, 10:26 AM   #6
Gary Slider

RedBowTies88,

The New PA AG ran on closing the FL loophole in issuing permits. One guy in PA got a FL non resident and was carrying with it and caused problems. He was denied a PA Permit. I am hearing that she is trying to get the other Agreements to state Resident only. I hope this gossip is incorrect. The Maine Agreement was written before she was in office and she had nothing to do with that one. I just missed that previously.
Old March 31, 2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Gary, in Idaho, we've had several laws related to firearms that have been proposed.

Most notable (from your perspective) would be House Bill 192. This bill enacts a new section to the Idaho concealed firearms weapons permitting sections (18-3302K). It provides for an "enhanced" permit to allow for more states to recognize our CWP. The bill has passed both houses and was submitted to the Governor last Wednesday. We expect him to sign it.

Of possible significance is House Bill 223, which amends 18-3302(n)(7) to exempt any knife (as defined) that has a blade 4 inches or less, and exempts any taser, stun gun or pepper spray, from the definition of a concealed weapon. This also was sent to the Governor at the same time as H0192.

Both bills were passed without any opposition (unanimous=veto proof) whatsoever.
Old March 31, 2013, 12:55 PM   #8
2ndsojourn

^^^ Gary, I'm going from memory and don't feel up to researching right now, but I think PA no longer accepts FL non-resident permits. I believe FL resident permits are still good. And it was more than one guy causing problems. It was mostly shady people in Philly (who would normally not get approved for a carry permit) getting FL non-resident permits and committing crimes. There were a few write-ups in the newspaper last year detailing it.
Old March 31, 2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Gary Slider

PA Only honors the FL Resident Permit. The AG signed a new FL agreement stating that. Handgunlaw.us states that also. The AG also released a letter saying for PA residents they would no longer be able to carry in PA with a FL non resident after 6/8/13. Giving them a little time to get a PA permit.

I only heard of one person causing problems doing something illegal. Philly did arrest a number of people carrying in Philly that were PA Residents and only had a FL non resident. They paid them all a lot of money after releasing them as Philly found out they were in the wrong and under PA law those carrying with a FL non resident were legal.

The states to watch are NH, TX, UT, ND and VA. PA honors them and they issue to non residents and by the agreements or statements by the AG they still honor these states non resident permits.

Colorado, Michigan, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Maine and Florida put Residents permits only in their law I believe to keep their residents from getting another states permit and carrying in their home state with it. They could have just written the law to state you have to have a Resident permit to carry in your home state but didn't go that direction.

North Carolina has a bill in now that would change their law to only honor permits from residents of the state they have the permit from. NC honors all other state permits. NC Sheriff's were complaining that NC residents were carrying on other states permits in NC.
Old March 31, 2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Gunnut17

New mexico dropped all but 5 states? And I thought this was a more gun-friendly state.
Old March 31, 2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Gary Slider

Gunnut17,

They added most of them back. That happened late March of Last year. It caused a big stink. It was just the director of the Firearms Unit who did it all on his own. NM is gun friendly but they are a liberal leaning state and it seems like they are leaning more that way. I forget if it was Senate or House Bill 77 that barely got defeated that if it had passed would have made NM similar to Colorado. It was packed full of garbage.
Old March 31, 2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Slider
Colorado, Michigan, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Maine and Florida put Residents permits only in their law I believe to keep their residents from getting another states permit and carrying in their home state with it. They could have just written the law to state you have to have a Resident permit to carry in your home state but didn't go that direction.
And part of what caused PA to zap ME was that ME will issue carry permits to 18-year olds, while PA only issues to people 21 and older. So enterprising PA residents were getting ME permits at 18 and using them to carry (legally, at the time) in PA. Needless to say, some PA authorities were not amused.