The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 7, 2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Shaky

Frequent AK47 Jam

What's the deal? Every 3rd world rebel, thug & terrorist can simply hold his gun in the air and shoot round after round with absolutey no jams: I go to shoot more than 4 rounds and get a jam every time. The weird part is that a 240lb friend can shoot it perfectly and it fires perfectly as fast as he can pull the trigger. At 155lbs (or so) I pull the trigger and within about 4 rounds (number varies) I get a hard jam in which the brass is trapped by the bolt. In both cases same magazine and same ammunition. It's a Romanian style (Tantal I believe) folding "crutch" style metal stock. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old September 7, 2011, 11:57 AM   #2
jrinne0430

Could be a bad magazine...did you try another mag?
Old September 7, 2011, 12:00 PM   #3
Shaky

AK47 Jam

...same magazine used in all cases.
Old September 7, 2011, 12:11 PM   #4
jrinne0430

Could be a bad mag...try another to see if the problem persits. Are you keeping the stock snug to the shoulder when firing?
Old September 7, 2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Scorch

Keep it in snug to your shoulder and follow through.
Old September 7, 2011, 05:35 PM   #6
TATER

Are you shooting Hollow Points?
Can you describe what trapped buy bolt looks like? Better yet, can you post a Pic? I'm think'en
You may be lacking feed ramps. If it is, its a simple fix. OR, just shoot FMJ's.
HTH
Old September 7, 2011, 09:17 PM   #7
M4BGRINGO

You're saying that your big buddy can shoot your gun with the same ammo and same mags without issues?

Sound like my wife with the semi auto handguns. She limp-wrists them and they don't cycle correctly.

My niece was having the same problem with my Saiga-12 and #8 loads. She didn't hold it firm enough.

I bet you are doing the same thing. Plant it in your shoulder and try it again. How broken-in is the gun?

My Saiga-12 did not like #8 at all until I ran 100 shells of #00 through it. Now it eats anything I give it. Just have to remember to set the gas port selector correctly when switching ammo. Does the AK have the same type of selector? I never looked at either of mine since they never gave me a problem. I am 265, sorta like your buddy. That AK-47 has no kick, the Mosin Nagant has a medium kick. I am looking for something bigger and badder....
Old September 8, 2011, 06:11 PM   #8
tobnpr

Got $12,000.00?

http://www.anzioironworks.com/MAG-FED-20MM-RIFLE.htm
Old September 15, 2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Shaky

Frequent AK47 Jam

Appreciate the inputs. I have been using Wolfe FMJ ammo. Jams vary: returning bolt pinches cartridge case a midpoint of case; some brass stays in the breech, etc

I too thought it was just the difference in size & weight but remember that every terrorist and freedom fighter we see on TV can simply hold the AK47 up in the air (by the grip only) and fire off many rounds with no jam whatsoever! So that eliminates the weight of the shooter and "limp shoulder" IMHO.

This AK has about 125 rounds fired to date.

Could the barrel be pressed in too far affecting breech configuration?
Old September 15, 2011, 01:31 PM   #10
NWPilgrim

That type of malfunction is usually caused by either the bolt not going all the way back, or the mag not feeding with enough force.

1) Try another mag of proven reliability. If you are using TAPCO, ProMag or other non-military issue then switch to s a known mag like a east European steel mag or Bulgarian polymer mag in good condition. The mag could also be damaged or have a weak spring.

2) The mag may not be seated completely. Perhaps your friend is slamming it home and you are gently sliding it it in and not fully latching. Any mag, whether pistol or rifle, should be rapped good from the bottom to ensure proper seating and latching in place. then tug on it to see if you can pull it out.

3) The action may not be cycling completely due to lack of lubrication, crud (including old solidified grease), or incorrectly assembled parts. Did you disassemble it before the malfunctions started? Did you field strip and clean and lube it before using it?

4) Another reason the action may not be cycling completely is under powered ammunition. Try a box of some other brand of ammo. While Wolf is generally reliable, every manufacturer has mistakes now and then. You may have a bad batch.

Try those things and see if the problem persists.

BTW, you only see videos of the rebels with working AKs. The ones who had jams are probably some of the ones laying on the ground dead.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old September 20, 2011, 02:53 AM   #11
bamaranger

jam free...........nope

I've looked at a ggod bit of recent middle east AK footage and have seen quite a few AK jams. I also read an article about the absolutley poor condition of many insurgent arms and ammo.

Hope you get yours running.