The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2011, 09:58 PM   #1
danber9546

Best ammo for a p3at

What's the best ammo for a Kel-Tec p3at? I mean for daily concealed carry, what round for self-defense? I just picked one up today.
Old February 16, 2011, 10:45 PM   #2
tomwalshco

I've had one for a few years. Mine will launch anything I've stuck in there. Which includes russian steel stuff up to Buffalo Bore +p+.

Any quality HP I can find in +p does it for me. But I don't shoot more than a mag at a time with the hot stuff. Just enough to make sure it feeds.

I'll get Rem Golden Saber when I can find it. Cabelas around here always has Buffalo Bore +p and that's my #1 choice, but pricey.

Make sure that feed ramp is mirror shiny, then it'll feed anything. Cor Bon, Hornady, whatever.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:42 PM   #3
orionengnr

Well, you really have two questions to answer here.

First, and most importantly, do you want FMJ or JHP ammo? There are probably hundreds of threads with thousands (or tens of thousands) of opinions on which is better. Before you go any further, read enough so that you can make an informed decision between these two.

Now...what will it function with reliably? Because if your chosen ammo will not function reliably in your pistol, all is lost.

Since you just picked it up, it is time to hit the range and find out if it works, or if you too will be chasing your tail.

While you're at it, do a search and determine how much time/effort/monet you are willing to expend on this project, and have an exit strategy if the worst come to be.

In the two P3ATs I owned, I never found anything that worked reliably (despite a lot of time on KTRange, a lot of time F&Bing, new springs and other parts, lots of different ammo and mags, etc.) which is why I no longer own one. I am assuming yours works better that either of mine, or having this discussion is pointless.
Old February 17, 2011, 08:33 AM   #4
skoro

Quote:
what round for self-defense?
What I carry:

Remington Golden Saber
Buffalo Bore 100gr hardcast
Hornady Critical Defense
Old February 17, 2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Jimbo-Indy

Mine just loves Gold Dot's. In fact I've had 3 different P3AT's in the family and they all liked Gold Dot's. Crono just above 900 FPS out of mine.
Old February 17, 2011, 11:29 AM   #6
JCP281

You guys running +P ammo...

Question: On what grounds do you justify using it? (serious question)
I would be curious to see some calculations on pressure vs material strength if anyone has done it.

I just have a hard time trusting the gun if its not recommended for anything over standard pressure. that doesnt speak well for the manufacturers testing if they dont recommend it, IMO. I would be curious to see the Kel-tec test failures with +P(if any).
Old February 17, 2011, 11:45 AM   #7
tomwalshco

SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNINGS
AMMUNITION: The P-3AT Pistol is designed and chambered for the .380 Auto cartridge. Do not use any other ammunition. The P-3AT will accept +P ammunition, however not with continuous use.

Right out of the owners manual. Typical of most manaufacturers covering their asses. I've shot +p+ in KT with no issues - but not often.

More velocity, more ft lbs of energy. Not a 9, but better than standard 380 FMJ range ammo.

Kel-Tec's main business is precision parts for NASA and our space/defense program. They are competent people.
Old February 17, 2011, 11:45 AM   #8
hoytinak

I carry the Fiocchi 90gr XTP in my LCP. It's very consistent, accurate and low recoil plus it's not to expensive (compared to others I've seen) so I can practice with the same rounds that I carry.
Old February 17, 2011, 11:51 AM   #9
JCP281

Quote:
SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNINGS
AMMUNITION: The P-3AT Pistol is designed and chambered for the .380 Auto cartridge. Do not use any other ammunition. The P-3AT will accept +P ammunition, however not with continuous use.

Right out of the owners manual. Typical of most manaufacturers covering their asses. I've shot +p+ in KT with no issues - but not often.

More velocity, more ft lbs of energy. Not a 9, but better than standard 380 FMJ range ammo.

Kel-Tec's main business is precision parts for NASA and our space/defense program. They are competent people.
Woah, I did not realize the P3AT was rated for +P(at least they say you can use it), I must be thinking of the LCP maybe? I know Ruger def doesnt recommend it. I figured since they coppied Kel-Tec that did so in every facet, I get not.

Anyways, it would still be nice to see some calculations on the pressure failures of those barrels.
Old February 17, 2011, 08:24 PM   #10
michael t

Corbon DPX or Corbon 90JHP I tried BB and didn't see any great difference from Corbon I trust Corbon quality control more.

Once more their are no SAAMI standards for +P in 380 . They set the requirements for +P in the Firearm ,Ammo Industry 32 and 380 are not on the list. I make a hot 380 and call +P That doesn't make it +P by the official industry standard . I call BB's +P if I want In other words Its made it up .

Ad hype Yes I have tried it in the 380 90grHP box marked +P 1100 +FPS
We only have his numbers . Golden Loki tested BB 32 +P and found it was mid 900 range in a KelTec 4 FPS difference that his KelTec numbers in fine print No where close to his box numbers. Fell right in with most ball ammo in FPS and Penetration. Gee S&B cheaper and same results

Last edited by michael t; February 17, 2011 at 08:35 PM.

Tags
.380 , ccw , kel tec , pocket pistols , self defense