The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 5, 2000, 02:23 AM   #1
burrhead

I just posted this question in "Gear and Accessories" then realized this should be here. Anyway, I bought a set of Eagle Secret Service rosewood grips for my S&W 638 and I can't get use to the finger grooves. I'm going to reshape the front strap but I'm unsure what to use to refinish the newly bare wood. Any ideas?

------------------
Join the NRA.

[This message has been edited by burrhead (edited February 05, 2000).]
Old February 5, 2000, 07:49 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Burrhead, it really depends on how the grips were finished to begin with. I'm not familiar with these but Tru-Oil will work fine for most applications especially touch-up which is basically what you will be doing. George
Old February 5, 2000, 09:59 PM   #3
Dakotan

I agree with George (big surprise . Birchwood Casey makes some "questionable" cold bluing compounds, but Tru-Oil is their saving grace; you can apply the stuff with your finger. Let the first coat dry overnight, and the successive applications will fill the grain of the wood faster. After the grain is filled, use 0000 steel wool (or the finest grade of Scotchbrite)for a satin tone, or just let a relatively thick ("wet") coat air dry for a gloss finish. Good Luck!- Dakotan
Old February 5, 2000, 10:13 PM   #4
burrhead

Thanks for the reply guys. I reshaped the grips today and discovered all I had to do was polish them on a dry buffing wheel to bring out the luster. Apparently Eagle Grips doesn't put anything on their rosewood grips. They have a nice satin look to them and I think I'll leave them as they are.
Thanks again for the imput.

------------------
Join the NRA.
Old February 6, 2000, 08:38 AM   #5
Ken in Iowa

Rosewood has a natural oil that will not take an oil finish. If you put it one it will never dry. Leave it natural or finish with water based polyurethane.

------------------