The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 25, 2001, 11:42 AM   #1
45Colt

I have several 1911s that all work fairly well. Except one. It throws the empty cases all different directions. Forward, back, STRAIGHT BACK, sideways, etc. Coincidentally, it is the only 1911 I have that doesn't leave a shiny extractor mark on the recessed area of the cases. What is the answer for this problem? More tension? New extractor? Other? TIA
Walt
Old April 25, 2001, 01:25 PM   #2
Wallew

There are a lot of factors that could be causing this problem. Unless you are familiar with the way the extractor vs. sticky chamber vs. using reloads, etc, etc, etc, react to cause problems it will be difficult to diagnose this one without some more specifics.

A new extractor MIGHT solve your problem, if the problem is that your extractor is not grabbing the cases properly. What does the chamber look like? Are you using reloads? Are there any other symptons like short cycling, or stove pipes or other feeding problems? An extractor CAN be tuned, but unless you know how, trying to describe it without visual aids does present a problem. It was shown to me by a smith that it shown to by a smith... you get the idea.

Anyway, the short answer is a new extractor MIGHT solve your problem. Probably WILL solve your problem. IF THE EXTRACTOR is what is malfunctioning.

So, take it to your local smith, or have a knowledgable gun person watch you fire the weapon at the range and help diagnose the problem. After all, two heads are always better than one.

Another idea is, you say you have several 1911's. Find one whose extractor DOES work and swap it out and see if that solves your problem. You will need a similar model of 1911 to the one you are experiencing the problem with. So, if it's a Series 80 Officer size model that has the problem, a Series 70 Government model extractor probably won't be the answer, if you know what I mean. IF the swapped extractor solves the problem, THEN go out and purchase a new extractor.

Hope that helps.