The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 2010, 10:03 PM   #1
myshoulderissore

New 870, what more to do?

Title says it all, just got myself a lovely 870 of my own on Friday, and was wondering what suggested modifications I should look into for it. Already I am looking at trying out an 870 with some different stocks, I have a large head and the standard stock isn't working as I would like. Since they're spendy I am going to check them out before buying... I am probably going to get Trak-lock sights, or something similar, because I would like to take a deer and/or elk with it as well. Other than that, I am going to do my standard Militec1 + oil + TLC treatment to it, it is already smoothing right out for me.

It's the 870 Express, 2 shot extension, 18.5" barrel, btw. And she's beautiful!
Old September 14, 2010, 10:18 PM   #2
redstategunnut

You mention hunting with the gun, but if it will double as a defensive weapon then the answer is simple: Surefire Fore End Light. Do this first. You don't need rails or sights or any of that other stuff. You need a light, and there is no better light for a shotgun than this. It isn't even that hard to swap out during hunting season.
Old September 14, 2010, 10:23 PM   #3
myshoulderissore

Only problem with the Surefire is the cost. It would effectively double the cost so far, moreso due to the mail in rebate I caught. It is on my wish-list, though, keeping an eye out for used or similar.
Old September 14, 2010, 10:36 PM   #4
scorpion_tyr

Quote:
New 870, what more to do?
Uh... shoot it?
Old September 14, 2010, 10:40 PM   #5
myshoulderissore

As far as shooting it, I brought it home, cleaned it well, and went ahead and put 150 rds through it, from cheap birdshot, to 00, to slugs.

Ammo is a wonderful accessory! ;-)
Old September 14, 2010, 10:55 PM   #6
43FLcracker

you should probably pick up a barrel to hunt with. 18.5 isnt ideal
Old September 14, 2010, 11:13 PM   #7
scorpion_tyr

Just 150?
Old September 15, 2010, 02:46 AM   #8
Scattergun Bob

myshoulderissore

I always like a new gun in my hands, there is unlimited potential there, Congrads on the new Express, my wish to you is as always with a new shotgun "that it will shoot to where you look every time you choose."

Quote:
suggested modifications I should look into for it
I am going to steal our moderators thunder "WEARMARKS"

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old September 15, 2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Bob.

To the OP. congrats on your fine acquisition. Now go shoot it plenty.
Old September 15, 2010, 08:04 AM   #10
Snakedriver

I've got the same 870 shotgun. I didn't feel the need to do a bunch of stuff to it. It was pretty much ready to go into HD duty as it was from the factory. I put a butt cuff on it to hold 5 spare rounds, a nylon sling and some XS Big Dot nightsights.

Rem 870-12.JPG

Regarding an economy light set-up, I recently was shopping at Costco and saw a 3-pack of some 100-lumen, aluminum body LED flashlights for something like $17.85. These things are amazingly bright are loaded with extra features and give 4-hours of consistent light with 3-AAA batteries. How could I go wrong for that price??? I got a Mako Group Shotgun Barrel Flashlight Mount off of Amazon for $13.95 delivered and was ready to go. The whole thing mounted up solid as a rock and the on/off switch is easily accessed with the index finger when mounted at the 9 o'clock position.

Rem 870-10.jpg

Have fun with your new shotgun, they are sweet shooters.

Last edited by Snakedriver; September 15, 2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old September 15, 2010, 08:34 AM   #11
Fifth Wheel

If you change the stock, make sure the length of pull is no more than 13".

Get some Uncle Mike's mil-spec sling swivels and attach a cheap nylon "silent" sling to it.

If you have a bead front sight, take a dremel and some polishing compound and polish the front bead.

Here's a pic of my 870P. I polished the front bead, had the stock shortened to 13", and attached the sling. I sanded down the tip on the handle so that when I carry it slung African style (muzzle down) it doesn't dig into my back.

Old September 15, 2010, 10:04 AM   #12
myshoulderissore

Good call on the barrel, i am looking at the 20" IC barrel with rifle sights, or if I can eek the money, the 20" rem-choke with rifle sights, for the ability to change the chokes on the fly. I am going to be away this hunting season, so I will have time to figure it out and gather cash for it.

Snake, I like that flashlight mount, and I have just the light for it! Thanks for the idea.

Fifth, why polish the bead? Curious about that. And the suggested 13" or less length of pull has me as well. Beautiful gun you've got there, too. The wood looks good on it. I'm just too lazy/busy to properly care for wood, so I stick to synthetic.

Last edited by myshoulderissore; September 15, 2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: More questions.
Old September 15, 2010, 10:15 AM   #13
oneounceload

Quote:
Why is that? The stock needs to fit properly in order to aid in proper shot placement and to help mitigate recoil - making a stock as short as a youth size may or may not work for someone.
Old September 15, 2010, 10:30 AM   #14
Fifth Wheel

Yea, I know. But erring on the shorter side is better than erring on the longer side. A lot of the current 870s come with a 14" LOP and this is just waaay too long, unless maybe you're well over 6'. And 13" is not the shortest you can go. I think Hogue offers a 12" LOP. There are a lot of big guys who can easily use a short LOP. For example, I read where a lot of guys well over 6' can get used to an AK with a Warsaw length stock, which is under 13" LOP.

If you are going to get a stock custom fitted to your size, that's one thing. But, in general, the shorter LOP allows you to bring the gun up to bear faster, without the possibility of it snagging in your armpit or on clothing when you bring it up. Personally, the most comfortable battle rifles I've ever shouldered are the M1 Garands and M14. These have a 13" LOP. It's a good generic LOP that fits a lot of different-sized people. Again, though, if you get the shotgun custom-fitted to your size, that's a whole different thing. And shooting clays is a lot different than using the gun in the heat of the moment when your life is on the line. Shorter LOP is better.

myshoulderissore: thanks for the compliment. I polished the bead because it catches the light. It just stands out better. Even in slightly dim light, it stands out. I dremeled it with polishing rouge, and then used Flitz cream. It's a cheap way to vastly improve the front sight.

Even though it's hard to see in this pic, I also polished the brass bead on my Ithaca:

Last edited by Fifth Wheel; September 15, 2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old September 15, 2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Jo6pak

Save a little extra $$ and go with a barrel with interchangable chokes. I do most of my scattergun duties with a 21" RC barrel. It's alot cheaper in the future to get a new choke tube, rather than another barrel.

Polishing the bead will make it easier to see, faster on the target.
Old September 15, 2010, 11:04 AM   #16
myshoulderissore

Never really looked into lop before. You mention the M14 has a 13" lop, it happens to be one of favorite guns, up there with the 1911 with it's ability to act as an extension of me, rather than a seperate piece I am holding. I may have to look into that, it would work for my wife most likely, too. Not that she'll ever put more than a dozen rounds through it, but I like options.
Old September 15, 2010, 11:11 AM   #17
oneounceload

Sorry, I'll disagree - battle rifles are not the same as shotguns - rifles are aimed, shotguns are pointed. 14" LOP wasn't too long over a century ago when the average height was well under 6'. There's no need to "get used" to a stock that is incorrectly dimensioned for that particular shooter. How the gun is held, even the style of the grip can dictate a change in one of several dimensions. Using a long offhand hold, coupled with a straight or POW grip-, my LOP can vary over an inch, from a gun with a tight pistol grip and shorter forearm. There are too many variables besides LOP when it comes to proper stock fit.

Shooting clays versus a "heat of the moment" isn't really that much different, especially if you shoot clays like I do with a low gun - I have to react very quickly and the gun has to come to shoulder properly or I miss the bird. the same would hold true using it against an intruder.
Old September 15, 2010, 02:12 PM   #18
cdutton

Ghost ring sights and a weapon light. Just my opinion.
Old September 15, 2010, 03:34 PM   #19
Scattergun Bob

Quote:
As others above have stated, I find this mildly disturbing. The general rant of a shorter pull has been building for a long time, but it is based on a premise that we in the civilian shooting community don't deal with.

The demand for shorter pulls came from Law Enforcement as the access and reasonable price of soft body armor blossomed. Most vests have about a 1/2 to 1 inche of stand off at the shoulder. This made standard 14" lop somtimes too long combined with a short armed body type it made the standard lop WAY TOO LONG a lot of sore jaws in those days. Many law enforcement suppliers developed specific stock and butt plates for this problem as in Speed Feeds fine IV-s SHORTENED TACTICAL STOCK @ 13" and a flat non absorbing butt plate often called a SWAT pad, to further reduce the pull to 12". Since our vests absorbed much of the recoil we could get away with just a flat piece of plastic or rubber on the shoulder hurting end of the gun.

I know I will take some fire for this from some of you but Heck it's been that kind of week. So here goes, the above is the real deal, it is not Internet myth, try not to let folk like me (ex-cop) influence your buying judgment too much (one more door breacher TACTICool choke thread and I will scream)! So unless you NEED a 13 or 12 inch lop because of your body type, or you contemplate being vested up at 2AM in the morning when the predator picks your house be wary of short lop. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

My best advise to you is to have Dave McC, Zippy13 or Bigjim explain to you how to correctly measure LOP for you and be happy what ever those findings are.

Last edited by Scattergun Bob; September 15, 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old September 15, 2010, 06:33 PM   #20
cdutton

I agree with SGB.

Unless you're wearing a Class-III vest or something.
Old September 15, 2010, 06:40 PM   #21
oneounceload

Quote:
The demand for shorter pulls came from Law Enforcement as the access and reasonable price of soft body armor blossomed. Most vests have about a 1/2 to 1 inche of stand off at the shoulder. This made standard 14" lop somtimes too long combined with a short armed body type it made the standard lop WAY TOO LONG
Absolutely correct Bob- and not too many average homeowners are going to be wearing that stuff......maybe they're seeing it on the various video games??? I wouldn't know as I don't play them, but I agree - too many think "scrunching" up on a stock is correct when it isn't
Old September 15, 2010, 06:48 PM   #22
BigJimP

Aw come on Bob .........I can hear your teeth grinding way over here ...

I'd like one with an 18" LOP please ....(and I still laugh every time I see guys playing with those breeching shotguns at the gunshows, after you explained to me what the heck they were for ...).

and how in the world ...can you shoot an 870 enough "to make it pretty" ...( that's like shaving the butt end of an ugly dog to make him look pretty and making him walk backwards ) ...can't be done ....
Old September 15, 2010, 07:00 PM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think my .22 savage has a 14 or longer LOP... I don't know what my mossberg sports... But it is significantly longer than 13...

I am deadly accurate with either. I wear MANY layers in winter and never "hung the shot" on clothing...

But what do i know... I am a dumb ol un edge u ma kated redneck...

Brent
Old September 15, 2010, 07:22 PM   #24
rantingredneck

Quote:
But what do i know... I am a dumb ol un edge u ma kated redneck...
Hey, I resemble that remark..........

Count me as one who believes in proper fit. Luckily for me the factory standard 14" works perfectly for my build. I have helped a couple of folks who needed shorter shorten their stock up to fit better, but saying 13" or under for everyone is a bit of a stretch. 14" works fine for me. Much under 13" and I've got to watch my thumbknuckle .

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 15, 2010, 08:25 PM   #25
myshoulderissore

So, having read all of this, and playing with my 870 a bit more, I think what I need is more drop? I think the LOP is fine, but I have to cram my head into position to be inline with the barrel. Does that even make sense?

This is my first shotgun, other than that it has always been ARs, M14s, and pistols. So changing from an assault rifle to a shotgun is odd... But I love her!