The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 29, 2002, 07:50 PM   #1
priv8ter

Now what do I do with it?

Been wanting to get a shotgun for all the usual reasons. Because I've got a 5 foot nothin' wife, I wanted a 20 ga(Okay, the truth is, I really don't like putting dozens of rounds through 12's.) So, I was looking at a Mossberg 500 Youth Model...figure, if I have to suck it up a bit, okay. A hunting buddy of mine that I was talking to told me he had a 20 Auto he hadn't used in forever, and I could try it out if I wanted to before buying it.

Well, my idea of trying it out was buying a box of 100 shells at Wally-World, and taking the wife to the local gravel pit to try it out. Worked great, ate all 100 rounds no problem. The gun price guide my buddy had said a Ted Williams Model 300 in good condition should go for 230. That's what my buddy wanted. To me, it felt steep, nowing I could get a brand new Mossberg for slightly more. That, and it only holds 2 3/4 inch shells.

Went back to my buddy, who asked if I had tried it out. Sure did I said, put 100 rounds through it. Wow, he said, that's more than I've put through it in the last 10 years. Gulp...guess I'll buy it. I just would have felt bad giving it back to him after that.

Now, I'm sure it will work great as a H/D gun...Mr. BG ain't going to stop to argue 12 vs 20 as the Bucks heading at him...bit long, but oh well. My question is, what kind of birds can I use a 20 with 2 3/4 inch shells on?
Old March 29, 2002, 08:00 PM   #2
Edward429451

Ducks and clays.

2 3/4" will do what needs doin. I had my doubts about the 20 until first skeet shoot trip with it. I was pretty impressed with it and you will be too.

Congrats on the new piece! Fun guns.
Old March 29, 2002, 10:37 PM   #3
Kingcreek

In my youth I slew a great many pheasants, quail, and a few ducks with a 20g mod37 Ithica. Bunch of rabbit, squirrel, and a couple fox, coyote, and groundhog. I was in my later 20 years when I bought my first 12g and except for geese and ducks with steel shot I could still do just fine with that little 20. 2.3/4" only BTW
Old March 29, 2002, 11:43 PM   #4
Fred Hansen

Anything that you can hit, but you might want to choke down a little for geese, turkeys and Kalifornia Condor. (seriously, anything smaller than a goose.)
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old March 30, 2002, 02:40 AM   #5
C.R.Sam

Put a deer in the freezer with a twenty and birdshot. range bout six feet helped. Was gonna harvest some grouse for dinner and Bambi darn near ran over me.

Seriously, 20 will do the job if you do your part.

Sam
Old March 30, 2002, 04:41 AM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I have a Winchester youth 20 pump (1200?) out as a loaner gun to my best friend's 12 yo son.

Score this last season was one doe with a slug at 30 yards or so, numerous pheasant and some doves.

Whe stationed in Germany I killed a bunch of hares (think jack rabbits) with my 20.

FWIW - the 20 is not the limiting factor some think it is........

Giz
Old March 30, 2002, 06:55 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Anything an oz or 7/8 oz of pellets will handle. I've used a 20 for deer with slugs, and seen deer taken with them. They do the job.

7/8 oz loads are great in the field. Pop killed lots of pheasants and quail with a 20.
Old March 30, 2002, 11:41 PM   #8
huntsman

depending on who made your gun you might have got a better deal than you think.

I think if you or the misses is recoil sensitive 2-3/4" only is no problem a 3" 20 cartridge can be a real bear in most guns.