The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 11, 2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Beezer

Fading finish on a wooden stock

I have an old Remington 700 that I inherited and I've been cleaning it up. I noticed that on the wooden stock, there are several sports where the clear coat/varnish is faded. I'm assuming it is just normal wear from use of use then decades of non-use.

What is the best way to restore these faded spots to make a consistent clear coat finish on the stock?
Old October 12, 2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

Strip entire stock and refinish. However, IMHO, stripping and redoing with an oil finish would be much more attractive. And easier.
Old October 12, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3
603Country

I'm also an oil finish fan, and it is easier. For a quicker approach, you could probably just lightly sand the stock and apply an oil based poly varnish if you just want a durable finish. But, if you want a pretty finish, that isn't the way to go.
Old October 12, 2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Before getting to far into this, you need to determine if the finish is the Remington "Bowling Pin" epoxy finish.

That finish was used on most Remington rifles and shotguns for many years and is one TOUGH finish.
It's also one tough finish to get off, usually requiring a special type of paint stripper that will attack the epoxy based coating.

The Bowling Pin finish is a glossy, extremely hard, tough finish that's noticeably different than a varnish type finish.
You can take it to a good gun shop and they'll usually have Remington's with the same finish to compare it to.

Once you know what you're dealing with, then you can decide the course of action.
That may be no more then applying a coat of wood wax, to totally stripping the finish and starting over.
Old October 12, 2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Pahoo

Practicles first, then the particulars. ..

Beezer
Hard for me to relate on how, the finish is faded. Now if it's just surface scuffs, you might be able to polish these out. I have done so, on many occasions. If it goes deeper than that, then you have to weigh the efforts. On lightly scuffed/scratched surfaces I polish these out with a product named Novus-1. and then follow up with shot polish (wax). ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 18, 2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Buzzard Bait

one tough finish

I once tried using regular stripper on a bowling pin finish gun and the only effect it had was to sort of clean and polish the finish it actually made it look new again
bb
Old October 19, 2013, 12:32 PM   #7
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
CRC aerosol Gasket remover , takes that Rem. and Browning finish right off !