The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Dr Killdeer

Plastic 45 LC Bullets?

I just ordered a couple of boxes of the Speer plastic bullets in 45 caliber.*Unfortunately, when I was on the Speer ammo page I missed the asterisk note. It says "45 ACP only." I have three 1911's but that's not what I want the plastic bullets for.
I also have a Pietta 1858 and I just sent for a conversion cylinder from Taylor & Company so I can shoot 45 cal. Cowboy action loads. I had intended to use the plastic bullets in the 45 cal. conversion cylinder to practice in the back yard.

Am I Scrooged, or will they work on top of 45 long colt brass too?*
Old January 12, 2013, 01:32 AM   #2
myshoulderissore

It'll be loose... I can't say whether it'll work, but it'll make it through the barrel if you get it to fire properly...
Old January 12, 2013, 01:37 AM   #3
silvermane_1

depends on the bullet dia. but it could be possible, i would try it in .45 auto-rim brass though.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old January 12, 2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Dr Killdeer

I like that idea!!! Using 45 auto rim brass. I know you have to drill out the flash hole in the brass to be used with the plastic bullets to prevent the primer from backing out.

You always run the risk of a drilled piece getting mixed in with the ones that are going to be loaded for real. I assume that could lead to the use of a prosthetic device.
But since I don't own anything that uses 45 auto rim brass, I'd have a completely different animal just for the practice rounds.

Never would have thought of it on my own. Thanks Silver!
Old January 12, 2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Strafer Gott

The instructions that came with the bullets advise the use of regular brass for .45 cal. .44 cal still supplies those red casings. That's what I run in my British Bulldog exclusively. They seem to work whether the flash hole idrilled out or not. My '58 uberti will launch these with a #11. They are loose fitting, so I put a driving band on them with a little candle wax.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Dr Killdeer

That sounds like another good alternative, but the Pietta uses a number 10 cap. I wonder if it would have enough steam to be any good or even to push the plastic out the end of the barrel.

Thanks to you guys, when I get my bullets from Cabela's, I'll have a lot of options to experiment with.*
Old January 12, 2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

I have been told that the hot glue sticks are the right diameter for 45 Colt. Just cut them in appropriate lengths.

You can also (if you have a bullet mold) cast your own hot glue bullets. Or use wax bullets (do a search on the term, there are several threads here in the recent past).

I cannot figure out why the Speer plastic bullets (without cases) would not work just fine in a modern 45 Colt, as most of them nowadays actually have their barrels sized for .451" bullets.

I would try them out. First dropping one through the chamber, throat and barrel to make sure I have no surprizes. I think the worst that could happen would be poor accuracy because of loose fit in the barrel.

If I found loose fit in the throat and barrel, I might experiment with teflon plumber's tape to shim the diameter for a tighter fit. If it peels off, maybe a little (tiny) dab of superglue to anchor the end. Switch to a smooth finish adhesive tape it that didn't work.

Use your imagination. But be safe, always, all ways.

Lost Sheep
Old January 13, 2013, 06:33 AM   #8
CajunBass

Quote:
You always run the risk of a drilled piece getting mixed in with the ones that are going to be loaded for real.
You can always paint the ends of the drilled cases with model car paint, or fingernail polish so they'll stand out from regular brass.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 13, 2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Two Old Dogs

If you are going to use .45 Auto Rim Cases in place of .45 Colt, you will probably have to reduce the rim thickness. .45 Colt rim thickness is .060" and in .45 Auto Rim the thickness is .090". The reduction should be made from the front of the rim to prevent protruding primers.

Rim diameter may also have to be reduced since the .45 Auto Rim, rim diameter is .516" and the .45 Colt rim diameter is .512".
Old January 13, 2013, 12:28 PM   #10
robhof

robhof

They've been working fine in my ROA for 10 yrs. Bought mine on
Evilbay and have even taken rabbit with them, they have pretty good penetration out to 25'.
Old January 15, 2013, 04:05 AM   #11
Dr Killdeer

I think the easiest and safest way to go would be to shorten regular old 45 long colt brass for the practice rounds.*
If I cut the brass to a bastard length, it couldn't hide among regular 45 LC brass. Even if I had a senior moment while I was loading the real stuff, I'd*still be able to single out the short piece as being a drilled practice piece.
Once the press is set up with the 45 LC dies, *I wouldn't be able to seat or crimp a bullet on the short pieces either. If it ever got that far to begin with.

I'll gladly take the time to cut down 100 pieces of brass to eliminate the goof factor.