The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 1, 2011, 02:18 PM   #26
Slugo

you're right Dave...

they would never stand up to a season of sporting clays, in some ways. I doubt they would break, but who would want to take the physical beating over firing thousands of rounds!!
Old August 1, 2011, 02:27 PM   #27
oneounceload

My gunsmith had to remachine some internals on my BSE - a nice 20 that had had MAYBE 3000 rounds through it in the 30 years I have owned it since I bought it new - he showed me some of the parts, very thin springs, rough machining, etc.

IF your idea of use is 4 boxes a year in the dove field, and you don't mind swinging that 4X4 wood, it should do very well. I have almost as many rounds through my S&W Elite I just bought last year and there are no signs of trouble - no popping open when firing, no gritty triggers, and (thank God) no beaver tail forearm and auto safety

To those who think the 311 is the ultimate in SxS guns from a handling and quality perspective, please do yourself a favor and find a way to try some of the brands I mentioned - you will then understand what I have been saying about comparing a pig on a shovel with a lithe-handling, well balanced gun...
Old August 1, 2011, 03:14 PM   #28
Murrdock

Quote:
If you only have a $250 budget, there are lots of pumps in that price range that will actually work.
I really dislike pump actions personally. They work just fine and I've shot them a bunch, but the type of hunting I do a SxS would do much better. Quicker follow up shots, the ability to carry buckshot in one chamber, bird shot in the other and I could go on.

There's just something about a double barrel that gets my heart racing when I handle and shoot one. O/U are a little to expensive for my taste and most look far to pretty to take through the bog.

Quote:
they would never stand up to a season of sporting clays, in some ways. I doubt they would break, but who would want to take the physical beating over firing thousands of rounds!!
Trust me, the "swinging the pig on the shovel" and the "physical beating" does not worry me. I'm about 6' 4", 240 lbs., and I do concrete work for my summer job when not at college. If I had a shotgun that was literally a 4 x 4 beam I could still whip that thing around like nobody's business.

I'm actually planning on skeet shooting with it if the guy goes through with the sale. I know it's not the best gun for the job, but I'll get that 2nd clay a helluva lot quicker with that double than trying to reload one of my single shots.
Old August 1, 2011, 04:44 PM   #29
OkieCruffler

Well the only other SXS's I 've had any extensive experience with would be my grandfather's Greeners. I don't know where the experts on the board would rank those. Do I think my 311's are in the same class, not by half. However I will say that I shoot a hell of lot more than 4 boxes a year, usually shoot more than that each time I hit the range. Granted, after about 15 years of that I did have to replace the springs and pins. I have a rather nice vintage wingmaster that I use for trap, but where as I shoot 20-23 on the skeet field with my 311, those scores drop to the mid teens with the pumpgun. If I ever run across a AyA when I'm in buying mode I may give it a try, but I ain't hurting with my old utility guns.
Old August 1, 2011, 11:16 PM   #30
Hawg

Quote:
The internal parts are poorly made and with cheap metal. Like I said earlier they are good for a lifetime of shooting, as long as you are one of those guys who only shoot a box or 2 a year.
Bullspit. They're not as smooth or as graceful as my L.C.Smith but they're not junk either. Mine have untold numbers of rounds thru them. I never had any trouble. CAS shooters shoot the Hell out of them and lemme tell ya them boys put some lead down range.
Old August 2, 2011, 12:03 AM   #31
TxGun

Personally, I consider the Savage-Stevens doubles great utility guns. No, they are obviously not refined guns, but my dad had a Savage Fox for probably 30 years, a gun I still have today. At least a couple or three thousand shells through it. Never one problem...nothing ever broke... still locks up tight and solid.
Old August 2, 2011, 06:10 AM   #32
LSnSC

The 311's are what they are, a good utlity SXS. They are not junk, nor are they Parkers. You dont need a $2500 dollar shotgun to be successful in the field. Ive seen alot of ducks and doves and deer fall in front of 311's and Fox B models. They were a very common working mans shotgun at one time.
Too much time at the skeet and trap range will skew you view of reality. Alot of those guys are more worried about impressing there squadmates and rarely if ever venture out into the field. Their ideas of what is necessary get a little out of touch.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:27 AM   #33
oneounceload

Quote:
Too much time at the skeet and trap range will skew you view of reality. Alot of those guys are more worried about impressing there squadmates and rarely if ever venture out into the field. Their ideas of what is necessary get a little out of touch.
Not hardly - impressions come from results, not bling. Around here most hunt all fall and winter.

What is necessary depends on your usage - on the target field, necessary is a gun that can handle the volume of rounds and has the handling of a high performance sports car. The 311 can do neither of those.

In the field, a lightweight, well-balanced and handling gun is more responsive to a sudden covey or grouse taking off. The 311 is neither light nor well-balanced.

That seems to be more in touch - using the best tool for the job.....
Old August 2, 2011, 11:51 AM   #34
Slugo

1ozLoad...

you sure you ain't the incomparable BarryD incognito!! Ease up dude, be cool...
Old August 2, 2011, 05:48 PM   #35
LSnSC

The best tool for the job is often the tool at hand. The tool at hand is often the one the user can afford. Specialized tools are nice but not necessary for success. And they dont make more utilitarian tools junk. My family made its living for a long while in the woods and on the waters. The best hunters were hardly ever the Orvis/LL Bean gun club crowd. Those were the ones to watch and make sure they didnt get excited and hurt you or themselves when it was time to shoot. They talked an impressive game in the clubhouse and on the range, but more often than not were a dissappointment in the field.

I coach a youth shotgun team, and more times than I can count Ive had a kid come up showing some real potential, until some know it all jackass begins to pontificate on how they need better equipment. Usually the kid doesnt come back. If he does, he now believes his equipment is second rate, has a built in excuse for missing and his confidence is shattered.

Expensive specialized shotguns are nice, but not at all necessary for success on the range or in the field. I have a well used 870 thats taken numerous limits of doves and ducks with as many shells. Its run numerous 25's in trap and skeet. Its a safe queen now, because I have "better" shotguns, but if I ever need to I would not hesitate to use it anywhere any time.
Old August 2, 2011, 07:21 PM   #36
Slugo

LSnSC...

great response!!
Old August 2, 2011, 09:04 PM   #37
oneounceload

Quote:
Expensive specialized shotguns are nice, but not at all necessary for success on the range or in the field. I have a well used 870 thats taken numerous limits of doves and ducks with as many shells. Its run numerous 25's in trap and skeet. Its a safe queen now, because I have "better" shotguns, but if I ever need to I would not hesitate to use it anywhere any time.
Are you comparing an 870 to the OP's 311? - like comparing a pickup to a Pinto.

No one is talking about expensive guns, not unless your idea of expensive is anything over $200. Sorry, nice story about the kids though, glad to see you're helping them get off to a good start