The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old September 14, 2009, 01:26 PM   #1
azredhawk44

Appleseed in AZ Sept 26-27

Hey, folks:

We've got an Appleseed Shoot scheduled for Payson, AZ for the weekend of September 26th and 27th!

If you're from Rim Country or from the Valley, join us at Tonto Rim Sports Club at the Jim Jones shooting range, saturday at 8AM. Walk-on fee is $80 for the course + a small range fee, or preregistration is $70 + the range fee.

Pre-register here:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule.htm

For more info, go here:

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5125.0

This will be a 2-day course covering shooting from field positions (standing, seated/kneeling, prone), proper sling use, six steps to firing the shot, and the tradition of the Rifleman in context of the events of April 19th, 1775.

Whether you're an old salt or a new shooter, it's for certain that you'll pick up something that improves your shooting. And regardless, you'll meet some great folks from Arizona! I always meet the best folks at Appleseeds.

So, come on out and join us in the high country up in Payson.
Old October 9, 2009, 09:10 AM   #2
gearchecker

Appleseed --Best thing for shooters since sliced raisen bread

My wife went to an Appleseed shoot up here about a month ago and had the time of her life. She's already signed up for the next one and is telling all of her girlfriends about signing up. She said that they fired around 350 rounds of ammo and there are awards for shooting excellence.
It's a living history lesson on the skills of rifleman and the Revloutionary war.

Up here women get in free just for signing up, not sure if that's the policy at all of them or not.

I'm signed up for the next one too. It's not just for beginners. It will help all shooters improve on their shooting skills

A STRONG RECOMMENDATION . . DO NOT TAKE CHEAP, poor quality AMMO.
Many of the range cycles are timed. Don't waste it working on clearing yor rifle.

Take a .22 or similar that is affordable to shoot off 300 rounds or so.
Take the best ammo your gun shoots. It's only a few hundred rounds and it is a real pain trying to keep up with the instructors if your wasting time clearing your weapon often.

My wife took ammo she normally shoots and had nothing but trouble with her rifle on the Saturday shoot. I heard her complaining when she got home that her rifle was constantly having feed issues and she couldn't keep up with the others or the timed shooting evolutions.
I sent her back out on Sunday morning with 200 rounds of CCI mini mags. When she got back I asked her how many problems she had with her rifle, and she answers with a big smile . . NONE!
Good quality ammo is really important here. Find out what your rifle likes and stick with it.

Tell all your friends and if you have the chance join in.

Gregory
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old October 9, 2009, 12:58 PM   #3
CortJestir

Quote:
Up here women get in free just for signing up, not sure if that's the policy at all of them or not.
Thanks for the After Action Report, gearchecker. That is indeed Appleseed's policy. Women, those under 21 years of age, active military and elected officials attend for free.

Quote:
Find out what your rifle likes and stick with it.
As for any high round-count shooting clinic, truer words have never been spoken. Spend less time troubleshooting and more time shooting without trouble.