The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 25, 2008, 10:03 PM   #1
littlmak

A&D Books

Where do I get this book? Local gunshop? online BATF? ( tried searching, only found regs. explaining use etc..)
Old August 26, 2008, 09:16 AM   #2
noelf2

I had the same problem. After reading part 478 of ATF P 5300.4 (478.125(f) specifically), I finally made my own book for my C&R log. I downloaded a sample A&D form and printed about 20 pages, putting page numbers on each before printing. I used front and back of each piece of paper, stacked them together, and stapled the hell out of the left edge (consider this binding it so it is a "bound" book). Then I put it in a 3 punch hole folder.

The ATF is not specific in what a "bound book" is; they just say you need to use a bound book. Nothing in the rules says you can't make your own bound book. I figure the ATF wants to be able to check that pages haven't been removed, so I made it relatively impossible for me to remove a page without it being obvious.

You can also just buy a bound book with blank pages (like the ones at WalMart and Target) and hand write everything like this guy did:
http://beasurvivor.blogspot.com/2008...ent-and-c.html
Old August 26, 2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Technosavant

It only needs to be an orderly collection of pages that contain the needed info.

I downloaded a .pdf example of a page and made a few copies. Then I numbered them and put them in sheet protectors in a 3 ring binder. This is perfectly acceptable so long as the pages are numbered.
Old August 26, 2008, 11:29 AM   #4
Shiner Bock

Brownells sells them for 3 bucks.
Old August 26, 2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Shiner Bock

Here's a direct link.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...RECORD%20BOOKS
Old August 26, 2008, 01:09 PM   #6
noelf2

Yeah but Brownells wants $10.50 for shipping. Non-starter for me! Make your own and save $$ for AMMO. There's a .jpg image on the site I posted above if you choose to make your own bound book.
Old August 26, 2008, 09:25 PM   #7
littlmak

NOELF2 that looks like a winner to me! Will go to office supply in the morning and find an accountants ledger w/removable pages so I can type info and replace. (my handwriting is the worst) Will search online tonight to see if they make such as beast. Thanks all for the ideas/responses.
Yeah! I too am cheap. After checking prices, looks like it's going to be a spiral notebook, straightedge, and a sharpie for making the borderlines.

Last edited by littlmak; August 26, 2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: addition
Old August 27, 2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Shiner Bock

Yeah, you wouldn't want to just order the book and nothing else. But if you order from there occasionally, you can toss it into your order without it affecting your shipping charge.
Old August 27, 2008, 03:38 PM   #9
Hkmp5sd

Here is a PDF file you can print out. Just get a 3-ring binder and fill it up.

http://www.obscure-reference.com/guns/BOUNDBOOK.pdf
Old August 29, 2008, 09:51 PM   #10
littlmak

That's what I ended up doing. Put pages in a photo album with the peel back clear plastic sheets. Less chance of them ripping or smudging over time
Old October 29, 2008, 10:15 AM   #11
johnwilliamson062

Somewhere along the line I heard this had to be kept at your home. I have all of my important information at my office. Will keeping it at my office be a problem?
Old October 29, 2008, 01:26 PM   #12
carguychris

Quote:
Somewhere along the line I heard this had to be kept at your home. I have all of my important information at my office. Will keeping it at my office be a problem?
Theoretically yes. If you interpret the regulations strictly, the record book and the C&R firearms are supposed to be stored at the address printed on the license.* If they will be stored elsewhere, you're supposed to get a separate license for that locale.

*Firearms can be stored in a "separate warehouse" (CFR's wording) so long as that place is used for nothing but firearms and ammo storage. This topic was discussed in another recent thread. However, AFAIK this provision does not apply to the record book.