The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 17, 1999, 02:29 PM   #1
John G

I've been thinking about getting into black powder shooting. I'm experienced with firearms, but not these ones. I like the traditional-looking rifles and muskets. Should I build one from a kit? Buy a new one? What kind- flint or percussion? Thanks in advance for the help.

------------------
-Live free or die
www.acs.brockport.edu/~jg5708/gunclub.htm

Old April 17, 1999, 03:01 PM   #2
El Chimango Pete

Many years ago I got a replica "1851 Colt" - percussion of course - and was hooked right away. Not for the impatient and hasty .
I think its better to ease in with percussion, and the Italian replicas (Uberti, Fratelli Pieta) are reasonably priced and very good quality. I stayed with mid 19th century for now, and have a fair collection (including a 10 gauge shotgun... now thats a gun) but will certainly go on to flintlocks and such as soon as time and opportunity allows.
Building from a kit can be very satisfying too - but not necessarily a budget matter (price differences are not very big). Building from near scratch would be an 'ultimate achievement' - someday.
Old April 17, 1999, 03:10 PM   #3
John G

I understand Dixie has reasonable prices? What about quality?

------------------
-Live free or die
www.acs.brockport.edu/~jg5708/gunclub.htm

Old April 17, 1999, 04:53 PM   #4
Gunslinger

In the interest of brevity (translation: I don't have much time right now ) I'll leave the price & kit questions alone. But I would recommend you start with a percussion and then a flint later if you'd like. For the simple reason that the percussions give you one less thing to have to worry about when just getting started in black powder.