The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 18, 2013, 08:59 AM   #1
boxjeff

XD SA 40 - Anyone have experience with it?

Considering an XD SA 40 purchase. The gun store salesman raved about this weapon...said it's been time-tested, incredibly reliable and one of the high end manufactures. I aware that gun stores are price gouging now and the gun is priced at $500. Is the price resealable an is the gun what the salesman say?
Old January 18, 2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Vireye

a SA XD-40?

Which size?

I had a bi-tone XD-40 with the 4" "Service Size" barrel.

It was a good weapon, and my first pistol. I ended up NOT being a fan of the .40 cal and sold it, but not because of any particular weapon deficiency.

It's similar-ish to a glock, with the added grip safety. If you prefer that extra reassurance, I say go for it! Even if you don't, $500 is a fair price for a new XD (at least around here in CT) and I'd still go for it...
Old January 18, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Rmart30

The XD/XDM lineup have been awesome for me.... Thousands of rounds thru my various ones and not a single problem. I too am not a 40 fan and stick with 9mm or 45.
For pricing, ck the price against what they are going for here on gunbroker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Springfield...ingfield+XD+40
Old January 18, 2013, 09:40 AM   #4
SonOtheSouth

Springfield Armory is a great company... the XD line are awesome guns. I have an XD .40 Sub Compact that I paid 500.00 for. The dealer is being straight up with you... You can't go wrong with a Springfield XD.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:04 AM   #5
EdInk

The XD platform is a great one. I prefer it over the Glock (and M&P). IMO it is equally reliable and has both a better trigger and ergonomics. The price of $500 is a good price. I would not hesitate to recommend buying one to someone looking for a polymer duty style pistol.
Old January 18, 2013, 10:58 PM   #6
KenW.

I have four; three XD and one XDM. Really, really like them.
Old January 19, 2013, 03:26 AM   #7
wstein

My XD40 has been balls out reliable for me. I think will enjoy it, but like others have said do a little research on the price to make sure your LGS is in the ball park. You can look on gunbroker and a few of the online shops (buds, impact, jetguns) to see what shooting iron is going for these days.

I don't have a good signature.....
Old January 19, 2013, 07:51 AM   #8
foxytwo

I have a XD40sc with over 3000 rounds through it with no problems, good carry pistol.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:47 PM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Considering an XD SA 40 purchase. The gun store salesman raved about this weapon...said it's been time-tested, incredibly reliable and one of the high end manufactures. I aware that gun stores are price gouging now and the gun is priced at $500. Is the price resealable an is the gun what the salesman say?
Let's cover the points one by one.

Quote:
the gun store salesman
Probably gets a commission. You are right to research this purchase.

Quote:
time tested
Been around in 9mm since the late 1990s. The first iteration was imported by a different company as the HS2000. The "Gen 2" is the Springfield XD, with some very minor changes.

Some issues have come up over the years, and been dealt with by Springfield. The early finish was prone to rust. They now use the same finish as Glock does. Early locking blocks would sometimes crack. Fixed by an engineering change.

Quote:
incredibly reliable
I have found it so. You do run into folks on gun boards/blogs/podcasts with an incredible animus against the XD.

Quote:
high end manufactures.
Springfield is the importer. The manufacturer is someone you've probably never heard of, in Croatia. It is a quality product.

Quote:
$500
Sounds OK to me. They used to be quite a bit cheaper than Glock, but prices have been creeping up over the years.

I've got the XD40 Service. I've had it for about 5 years. It's a good, reliable, very shootable piece.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; January 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:26 PM   #10
CADILLAC HOOSIER

I bought an XD40 service model a few years ago. I am primarily a revolver guy, but these things are all over my local gun club. I've fired it probably 5000 times and only nhad one FTE, I think maybe the fault of ammo in first couple of hundred rounds. I reload, and have tried several different loads and powders, as well as every kind of factory ammo I could get my hands on and that thing is flawless clean or dirty. I'm still a revolver guy, but I shoot that XD40 on a regular basis..I also have a tremendous amount of confidence in it!! Load safe, shoot safe, HOOSIER
Old January 21, 2013, 06:24 AM   #11
pspc271

I carry and XD on a daily basis. Great gun!