The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 24, 2012, 05:34 PM   #151
thedudeabides

What is considered reliable? People always say that they ran a few hundred rounds through a gun and it's never misfed or FTE.

Has anyone actually put these through a few thousand rounds to see how the cheaper components put up with long-term abuse, or are these guns not meant to last that long?
Old September 24, 2012, 06:38 PM   #152
tahunua001

when this thread was started I had yet to graduate high school.
when this thread was started 6 of my 7 neices and nephews had not been born yet.
when this thread was started, the only gun in my collection was a glenfield 60
when this thread was started I had yet to bag my first deer.
when this thread was started I had yet to use an internet connection faster than dialup.
when this thread was started, nobody had even heard of the Obamanation, no less worried about another gun ban.

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

WHY WON'T IT DIE!!!!!!
Old September 25, 2012, 03:44 AM   #153
mxsailor803

tahunua001,

Don't feel bad lol. I had just got back from a deployment to south america when this thread started lol.

Back on subject, I've got a fullsize 9 that i'm willing to bet that I've put close to 2,000 rounds through it. I'm not particularly accurate with it but my wife is way better with it. After we found that out, she won't let me get rid of it lol. I've also got the 9 carbine. Now I love it!! It feels and looks cheap. It's soooooo much fun to shoot though. And go figures, my wife took that one from me as well lol.
Old September 25, 2012, 04:41 AM   #154
BADMAN400

I've bought and sold two of the 9mm pistols, not because they didn't work, but because a cousin and brother needed something quick, inexpensive and reliable. And they're both still going strong. I also had and sold a .45 JHP pistol, no problems, just another friend in need. The .45 is still running fine as well.

I still have 3 HP carbines; a 995 I bought in '06 and put the ATI stock on, a 4095 with an improvised bar on the old Planet of the Ape stock to hold a bipod and rail for VFG, and the newer style TS 4595. I have fired both the 995 & 4095 thousands of rounds and love them. The 4595 has only had a couple hundred through and sits in the safe along with my whole collection these days. I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I used to.

Bottom line, even though I own/have owned everything from XCR, HK, DSA FAL, Busmaster, XD, Calico, Taurus, Bond Arms, Kel-Tec, AK, Saiga and on and on. The Hi-Points, though ugly and heavy, hold their own for what they are and have been less trouble than some of the ones costing $1500+. They are a great value IMHO and have the BEST CS in the industry! Lifetime, no matter which owner you are, and made in America. My opinion is; Don't knock 'em til you've tried 'em.

Last edited by BADMAN400; September 25, 2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:55 AM   #155
lapetrarca53

Bought a C9 about a month ago. I traded in a bunch of old, mostly non-functional guns and had enough to buy the C9.

I've put 250 rounds through without a single hiccup so far. My dealer tells me it should be broken in by now and any major functional problems would most likely have surfaced by now.

Since they haven't, I can say I'm I happy Hi-Point owner.
Old October 1, 2012, 05:40 PM   #156
gandog56

Quote:
What is considered reliable? People always say that they ran a few hundred rounds through a gun and it's never misfed or FTE.

Has anyone actually put these through a few thousand rounds to see how the cheaper components put up with long-term abuse, or are these guns not meant to last that long?
Didn't need to, when I was getting literally 3-4 misfires a magazine!