The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 13, 2012, 02:40 PM   #1
kelly mt

Gun purchase denied, no reason!

A friend just tried to buy a shot gun at a Idaho gun show and the instant check denied him. It did so at three different vendors. He has NO arrests, convictions nothing in his background. He also has a friend that just had the same thing happen. What's happening? How do you resolve this and be allowed to purchase a gun again? Thanks for any info. PK
Old March 13, 2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

Does your friend have a common last name? Did he give his SSN?
Old March 13, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Carne Frio

Here is what the FBi have to say about an appeal.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nic...sked-questions
Old March 13, 2012, 05:42 PM   #4
kelly mt

No, it's rather an odd name. PK
Old March 13, 2012, 08:47 PM   #5
SamNavy

If I were him, I'd try to find out if there is anything outstanding on him. I've known some very good friends for years who never told me that "back when I was blah blah blah... got arrested for blah blah..." and the final straw... "NOTHING EVER CAME OF IT."

Some random ticket you thought you'd taken care of that and now there's a warrant out you don't even know about? I suppose he could walk into the nearest police office and ask them to run his name? Somebody should probably go with him or maybe contact a lawyer beforehand to cover all his bases. Yup, I'm talking out my butt here, but you never know.
Old March 14, 2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Patriot86

It could be as simple as a ticket, they were almost ready to lock my dad up for an outstanding ticket, "supposedly" given to him on a day when he could prove he was out of town on business. Best to have your friends call the local Sheriff or other LEO agency and see if they have anything hanging over their heads.
Old March 14, 2012, 07:53 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
kelly mt A friend just tried to buy a shot gun at a Idaho gun show and the instant check denied him. It did so at three different vendors. He has NO arrests, convictions nothing in his background. He also has a friend that just had the same thing happen. What's happening? How do you resolve this and be allowed to purchase a gun again? Thanks for any info. PK
At the first denial, the vendor should have explained the FBI NICS appeals procedure and given him a NICS Transaction Number. Your friend is a bit of a dope for continuing to attempt to purcahse....did he think the FBI would somehow forget the NICS denial from minutes earlier?

Your friend needs to contact the FBI NICS to find out why he was denied....the dealer cannot tell him as NICS keeps that info confidential.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 14, 2012, 10:30 PM   #8
kelly mt

You got to go easy on us hicks in the sticks. We don't deal with the government very often. The unreasonable and overbearing nature of it always surprises us.
Old March 15, 2012, 12:08 AM   #9
hermannr

I have never been denied, but I have had a "warrent" for my arrest back many years before there was a GCA1968.

I was drivinng down the road in my 1958 Ford retractible hardop (it was almost new then) and I was stopped for a license plate light being out. I replaced the bulb while the deputy was writing out the equipment ticket. He said take this and your repaired light for the cor to the Sheriff's office and get it checked off. Well, it was Saturday, and it was night time, and I was on my way to Canada and would not be back for 3 months. Didn't matter, I had to have it check at the Sheriff's office within 2 weeks. I continued on my trip...and...when I got back to that county, I was stopped again, except this time I had a warrent out for my arrest...for that license plate light ticket. Instead of being a free inspection, it cost me $50...expensive in 1960.
Old March 15, 2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Lemmon

Turned down often but fixed the problem

Years ago before marriage, kids and had money I bought a number of pistols. At the time in South Carolina you could only buy one pistol ever 30 days. The gun shop called "SLED" (South Carolina Law Enforcement Dept) and either got a go or no go on the purchase. If no go then you had to wait 30 days and SLED would approve you if they had not formally disapproved you. I got tired of that and visited the SLED office in Columbia. They were very nice to me and the excuse given was that there was an individual that had a criminal record with a name very similar to mine. I asked them to add my name to a file that I was not that guy with the criminal record. Never got turned down again. I was very polite and professional when I visited them and thanked them for their time when I left.

Lemmon