The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 31, 2011, 12:16 AM   #26
BigBob3006

Overhill,

I know the answer to one problem. If you keep a sidearm for defence, it's not worth a dime sitting on top of a closet shelf. I can't give you an answer that might fit you states laws. I'm pretty much confined to a power chair or my recliner. As such any child with a wet noodle could get away with any thing they wanted to. The only thing that would prevent it is my young spirit, my poor sleeping hours and my Colt Combat Commander in a .45 ACP. The one in the spout and seven in an eight magazine that reside in the butt of the grip might offer some punctuation as well. Home invasion is becoming a quickly climbing crime statistic. You ignore that fact at your peril.

I have decided on a course of action for myself.

At the first hint of trouble Mr. Colt comes to hand. If I don't hear someone outside yelling police, I shoot at the first thing through the door. If I do hear the word police, I yell back I have a gun. During this time my wife, Kathy, has been calling 911. When they answer we tell them what is happening and ask if the people at the door are police and if not send help, if they are police I notify those outside that they have been vouched for, and to come on in, and place the Colt on the floor. This may not be the best way to handle the problem, but it is the best that I can come up with

As I said this may or may not work by your law. I'm not 100% sure it will work by New Mexico law, but it's the best I can think of where everyone goes home at night.
Old March 31, 2011, 12:31 AM   #27
blakdawg

Quote:
I was always told to make sure the warrant is signed. Because cops will try to bust in your house, and show you a unsigned warrant.
If your residence is the target of a search/arrest warrant, you don't get a chance to inspect the paperwork and decide whether or not it meets your standards and you want to cooperate.

You'll be handcuffed and sitting or lying down while they do what they're going to do and afterwards if you think it wasn't right you can file a complaint/civil rights suit/motion to suppress.
Old March 31, 2011, 04:15 AM   #28
DRBoyle

Wondering if Erik's response is directed at mine? Or was the order the message contribution appeared of no significance. If it isn't, then obviously ignore the following.

In case it was was, simply put better to get a shot off at someone you don't believe to be police than (as others here noted) to find out too late it isn't. The part concerning how police need to be reactive should extend to the system behind them. Namely the courts, which means they should investigate as thoroughly as they can as to whether correct procedure was observed. If the police identified themselves correctly etc.

Few videos out there which even show people with weaponary like sports equipment, getting shot. For a couple of those videos it just appears the police didn't take the due care identifying themselves given the condition of the householder. Certainly under the conditions (drowsy householder at a distance to police) the police over-reacted.

Yes, some innocent people might get shot or even die as the police then return fire on a householder thinking they're armed invaders. That should be everyone's personal decision to return fire or not.

Intersting story regarding the L.A riots, when National Guard soldiers fired on a homeowner who thought it was rioters pretending to police. Suffice to say, when an m-60 fires on your house, you know who it is and surrender.

Last edited by DRBoyle; March 31, 2011 at 04:24 AM.
Old March 31, 2011, 07:04 AM   #29
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Shoot the cops? Great plan of action. Thanks for sharing. Next time be sure to compete the circle by including the expected response to that.

--

As for what to do should the police make a dynamic entry into your home, presumably because they believe they should be doing so, mistaken or not? Remember, we're talking about people that you believe to be the police. There's really no good advice to offer other than to comply at that point.
No, we are not talking about people I believe to be the police. The talk would be about shooting intruders.

Now if you are going up against the folks like TXAZ describes, it might be a losing proposition either way. If you are going against the OP's setup, that is another story.

Police have been shot during mistaken home invasions and homeowners have been cleared of wrong doing as a result, though nobody is happy.

Quote:
I would expect most TFL'ers could shoot better than the average street cop and certainly the average thug, but I expect few could out shoot the SWAT guys in a tactical situation of their choosing. May each of you never have to find out.
SWAT may be good shots, but when they screw up, they often screw up on a very grand scale.

Original incorrect report from right after the event...
http://lubbockonline.com/stories/072...21010012.shtml

Apparently 369 rounds were fired.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...threadid=75603
Good shots? Great shots, usually. Here, less than 1% hit human targets and none of the human targets were intentional hits. The barricaded guy was apparently hit while hiding in a closet, totally unseen. One officer killed, one wounded.

So fighting SWAT could result in fighting heavy intentional fire or heavy confused fire. Both would be bad.
Old March 31, 2011, 03:28 PM   #30
m&p45acp10+1

I have been awakened by my door flying in, and several shotgun barrels in my face literaly. Police task force raided the wrong apartment complex. They were apologetic, and had a city handyman fix my door. It did scare the crap out of me. I had no time to react when they came in. I lived in a small studio apartment of a 4 plex. They did get the suapect they were after in the 4 plex across the street. I was not too happy. My apartment number was on the door.

Yes it does happen. Cops make mistakes about adresses. The thing is they are trying to use speed to keep the element of surprise, and usualy the officer, or informant that the info came from are not with the inital entry team so it is not that difficult in the heat of the moment to force entry into the wrong house, especialy if it is an aparment, duplex, or 4plex.
Old March 31, 2011, 03:30 PM   #31
Wildalaska

I'd be better off wearing a lightning rod on my head than worrying about stuff like this.

WilddynamicentryindeedAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old March 31, 2011, 03:43 PM   #32
BikerRN

Quote:
there is no reason for cops to be coming into my home
Exactly.

I have no reasonable expectation of such happening to me in my home.

Therefore I will respond as if it's a lethal threat, which if it is an actual law enforcement entry in to my home, it will get very bad for me in very short order. In short, I will probably be dead.

As they say, that's life. My family may be able to pick up the pieces and move on, with a nice compensation check, but I will be dead and buried. I only hope that, law enforcement or not, if you attack my home through error, I take a few illegal entrants, or what I presume to be illegal entrants in to my home, with me to the gates of Hell.

Biker

Last edited by BikerRN; April 1, 2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old March 31, 2011, 06:28 PM   #33
AK103K

Quote:
I'd be better off wearing a lightning rod on my head than worrying about stuff like this.
Oh, I dont know..... Ive been watching that Alska State Trooper show on National Geo, and they way they show it, all yall up there in Alaska are just a bunch of drunks wandering around in the wilderness in their unides.

Put your beer down and get some trousers on, your hair is looking like the static electricity is powering up!
Old April 1, 2011, 02:00 AM   #34
Wildalaska

Quote:
all yall up there in Alaska are just a bunch of drunks wandering around in the wilderness in their unides.
Real men wear thongs in bear country...look at the rest of ya, what do you have, enraged chipmunks and groundhogs

WildsirgruntsalotAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old April 1, 2011, 07:31 AM   #35
AK103K

Hey! Those chipmunks are pretty scary when in a pack! Scarier yet, is being between a woodchuck and his hole when he wants back home.

A thong in bear country? Is that a purple "USDA Choice" tattoo on your butt cheek, or is it a real stamp?
Old April 1, 2011, 08:26 AM   #36
45Gunner

About 12 or 15 years ago, my condo was broken into while I was in my home office. I heard some noise and started towards the front door. At first I thought it was maintenance coming to do some work until I saw two guys with guns. Because of circumstances that would take too long to explain here, they probably thought I was not at home and they were surprised as I was. The results of their surprise was a volley of bullets, some of which hit me while I was running down the hallway heading back for my home office. To make a long story short, I played dead while they quickly grabbed valuable art work and some electronics. I was bleeding profusely and struggling to maintain consciousness. When I heard them leave, I found the telephone and called 911. I had the telephone in my hand, made my way to the front door and locked it, hoping the police would arrive before the crooks came back for any more stuff. The dispatcher told me the police were at my front door so I opened it only to be looking down the barrels of six Glocks pointed at me. Not a good night but I'm here to tell the tale. What lessons did I learn. All the doors and windows stay locked with deadbolts engaged at all times. I have a super-duper alarm system installed in my house...I moved out of the condo. I have a four-legged early warning system. I have a gun on me 24/7 except when in the shower and when I sleep, its on the nightstand next to the bed. There is a gun hidden in every room of the house. I was not married at the time of the shooting but I am now. My wife knows never to open the door until we are 100% satisfied that we know who/what is on the other side.
NRA Life Member
Old April 1, 2011, 09:40 AM   #37
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Given that Alaska has about the least number of lightning strikes of any state in the US despite its grand size, I think I would be comfortable wearing a lighting rod on my head there too instead of worrying about SWAT coming in my door.

Then again, I worry more about chickweed infesting my lawn more than I do about SWAT infesting my house.