The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 30, 2000, 05:40 PM   #1
Hueco

Well, after going again this weekend trap shooting, I can say that I am a consistent 80% shooter. I've had one really good round (a 92%), but all the others hover at 80%. Any tips on getting over the hump? Been there for a while, and am ready to start improving again. Beginning to get a tad frustrating.

Hueco
Old April 30, 2000, 05:50 PM   #2
G50AE

Make sure you miss less than 20% of the time. That way you will hit at least 80% of the clays.
Old May 1, 2000, 07:01 AM   #3
K80Geoff

Forget Trap, take up Sporting Clays. There, if you hit 80% consistently you are doing great.

The other alternative is to shoot more often, the more you shoot the better you get.

Geoff Ross

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited May 02, 2000).]
Old May 1, 2000, 09:31 AM   #4
Hueco

I shoot at least two rounds every week, sometimes 4 or 5. I've never tried sporting clays, but it does look like a ball. Hopefully my 80% is only a plateau and not a permanent peak. We'll see....

Hueco
Old May 1, 2000, 11:26 AM   #5
mcshot

Hueco, a few pointers. Think back about your misses, i.e., straightaways on station 3 indicate lifting your head or having "holes" in your patterns (really). I'm sure you will discover behaviors that may be correctable such as by adjusting your starting position relative to the trap house and your lead and follow-thrus.
I found trap to be a real mental game and did best when I was aggressive. I have a friend that actually has to get mad before he can shoot well. Also try to develop a mantra to correct any mistakes or weaknesses you discover. For example, I use "head down/shoot through" to keep me on top. AND by all means spend some time with pattern paper to find out where you gun and loads are shooting.
Shoot On

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000
Old May 1, 2000, 11:58 AM   #6
Hueco

Well, generally I miss mostly straights on 3. Rarely do I miss one on 1 or 5 -- especially if they are breaking hard left/right. I'll repattern again to see if I have developed holes with any of the loads that I use. But I am sure that it is 100% my fault. I switched to a full choke two weeks ago. My score didn't go down at all, stayed the same. But I will pattern with the full and see where I'm at.

Hueco
Old May 1, 2000, 04:17 PM   #7
house

I shoot ATA and shooting more makes a better shot. after work every day i shoot about 500 rounds. Thats alot of shooting. Also the stations you are doing well try and ask the trap master to see if you can shoot all your 25 on thethe stages you are haveing trouble that helps alot!!

good luck
house
Old May 1, 2000, 09:27 PM   #8
Hueco

Doing a round on one station is no problem, the spot where I shoot is really informal about things like that. I'll certainly take that advice! Thanks, have a good one!!

Hueco