The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 1, 2001, 03:08 PM   #1
La Migra

Rem. 870 Express Mag. rusting!

Purchased my Rem. 870 Express Magnum about a month and 1/2 ago. Took it out to the range and ran 125 shells through it, wiped it off with Tuff-Cloth and put it away for two weeks(busy). Took it out last weekend and it had rust on the top of the barrel and the receiver closest to the buttstock. Took a toothbrush w/ Hoppes on it, brushed the rust off then put a bunch of oil on it & let soak(also feild stripped and cleaned it at that time). Took it out again to check on it yesterday and the rust is back in the same spots! What can I do to get rid of the rust w/o damaging the finish?
Thanks.
Old September 1, 2001, 04:01 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Not a whole bunch retroactively, I'm afraid. Corrosion is forever.

Take some 4/0 steel wool and saturate with oil. Lightly rub the area and see if it cleans up. If not, Brownell's has various methods of cold bluing and materials to do it with.

For the future, wipe the metal down with a silicone cloth before leaving the range and back ip up with oil ASAP.
Old September 2, 2001, 12:17 AM   #3
JAMES L.SMITH

Have the same problem with my expreses,when they get brown enough I will not have to camouflage them!
Old September 2, 2001, 07:24 AM   #4
old hawk

get some silicone grease,forget the oil,i discovered mine immersed in rust the other day after a rain and forgetting to close the windows.i just wipoed it off with oil on a patch.rust never sleeps and steel wool will revome the matte compound.alternative is paint it camo.
Old September 2, 2001, 02:30 PM   #5
Clayton

www.corrosionx.com
www.break-free.com
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com
Old September 2, 2001, 05:11 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Somebody brought up alternative finishes, and that's a good choice. The receiver on my parts 870 was given a phosphate "Parkerized" finish to hide what was probably bad corrosion. It's a good option.

The simplest redo takes an hour, a coupla cans of bow paint, flat auto primer, and some imagination.

Just paint the thing. If it looks bad, paint over it.

Downside, it's hard to take off satisfactorily.

The various firms that offer refinishes and camo jobs vary widely in price, and I hear little in the way of complaints about them.

I think I'd just keep the thing lubed up and live with it.