The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 31, 2013, 12:50 PM   #1
toolmaan

Winchester 9422 Annie Oakley XTR

I recently acquired a Winchester 9422 Annie Oakley XTR rifle never been fired and I have the original box. I am searching for real value on this gun. At this time it is a safe queen and I cannot bring myself to shoot it. Looking at gunbroker and they want a lot for these guns, so much I am thinking I should get it insured. I am also trying to figure out how old the gun is. Anyone know anything about these? Thanks!
Old August 31, 2013, 06:44 PM   #2
PetahW

Winchester made some 6,000 Annie Oakley commemorative 9422 rifles in 1982.

Like any other commemorative, they're decorator's, and carry their best value NIB w/papers, hang tag, etc. (The boxes were SN'd to the rifle).

In any other condition, they're worth only a bit more than another 9422 in the same condition (used, no box, whatever).

FWIW, any "unsold", "unbid", "opening bid", or "Buy It Now"(BIN) dollar amounts are NOT a value - they are only a seller's best hope.

The value is exactly how much John Q.Public's been actually willing to pay for one in like condition, recently, not whenever - why it's best practice to surf only sold/closed gun auctions to find out.

Old August 31, 2013, 07:41 PM   #3
toolmaan

How do you surf a closed gun auction? The only gun auction site I have ever used is gunbroker but I have searched everywhere and cannot find a way to search ended auctions.
Old September 1, 2013, 05:04 AM   #4
NWCP

Get yourself a Blue Book of Gun Values. Not expensive and a handy tool if you're a collector.
Old September 1, 2013, 06:37 AM   #5
Slamfire

The problem with commemorative is that there are so many Commemoratives. I looked at my 1990 Blue Book and most Commemoratives were worth less than the original purchase price.

If they are fired then they fall into the used gun category and are worth what someone would pay for nice wood and a nice finish.
Old September 1, 2013, 07:06 AM   #6
az_imuth

Quote:
How do you surf a closed gun auction? The only gun auction site I have ever used is gunbroker but I have searched everywhere and cannot find a way to search ended auctions.
Hit the ADVANCED search button and then choose the Completed tab on the next screen. That should get you where you need to be.

I love the 9422's, but I would only buy one if I could shoot the devil out of it.
Old September 1, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Txhillbilly

I had an unfired Marlin 1897 Annie Oakley 22lr without the box or paper work. It sold on an online auction for $1k a couple years ago.
Value all depends on what someone is willing to pay for a gun.

I also sold another unique lever action 22lr,a first year,steel receiver Marlin 56 Levermatic LNIB-Unfired,and it sold for $800. I thought it would sell for more than the Annie Oakley,but the market wasn't there when I put it on the auction.

I'd think your Winchester 9422 Annie Oakley would go for at least $750,not many every come up for sale.
Old September 1, 2013, 10:45 AM   #8
toolmaan

I figured out how to search completed listing on Gunbroker thanks! From what I see there is is likely worth between $800 - $1300. I am going to hang onto it for awhile I acquired it in a trade deal. One of these days I will figure out what I plan to do with it. Thanks for the information!