The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2013, 09:46 PM   #1
triplebike

My new CZ Kadet 22 conversion kit

Picked up the above for my 75B SA this past weekend. Got it home , cleaned it , lubed it & installed it. I did not have to make any modifications at all. Simply removed the 9mm slide & slid on the 22.

On to the range;

I had a 375 rd bulk box of CCI's to break it in with. Mags were a little stiff at first , but loosened up quite nicely by the end of the day.

It took less than a dozen rds to sight it in. I fired all 375 rds before I left the range.

The 22 kit was absolutely flawless, not one hiccup of any kind & all 375 rds of the CCI fired perfectly. You can imagine how light the recoil is. It's a joy to shoot.

Accuracy is typical CZ quality, simply outstanding. Sights are excellent, bright, adjustable & very easy to acquire the target. Firing 10 rapid shots while staying on target is incredibility easy.

The conversion kits quality of design , ease of installation & absolutely flawless operation put it well above my expectations.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:11 AM   #2
armoredman

Outstanding! I love the Kadet Kit, use mine on my P-01. Welcome to the addiction.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Pilot

My Kadet Kit practically lives on my 75B, and I also use it on occasion on my compact 75D PCR. They are reliable, accurate, and fun .22's. I like how CZ kept the unit steel, and skeletonized the part of the slide that moves to make it lighter instead of making the entire thing out of Zamak or aluminum. It is an old world style conversion unit that works great. As with anything you usually get what you pay for as they are not inexpensive anymore.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:22 AM   #4
aarondhgraham

I hear they discontinued the Kadet pistol,,,

I hear they discontinued the Kadet pistol,,,
Now all they sell is the Kadet conversion kit.

Two years ago I had a small windfall of cash,,,
I bought the CZ-75B in 9mm,,,
And a Kadet pistol as well.

It is absolutely my favorite .22 semi-auto to shoot,,,
I'm a reasonably god shot with the 9mm pistol,,,
I attribute that to lots of cheap 22 practice.

Mine runs Federal Bulk Pack ammo very nicely,,,
It's the only semi-auto pistol I have that runs mil-surp Remington LRN ammo.

Congrats on your conversion kit,,,
You'll surely enjoy it.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 21, 2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

We had a long discussion/debate about the CZ Kit here, recently.

One of the features of the CZ Kadet Kit that helps it's accuracy is that the barrel and slide assembly (which looks like a slide, but isn't) AND the sights are a single unit. That means there are no lockup issues, as they all stay in synch (don't move!). If the barrel is true, and the sights are lined up properly, it's going to be a pretty accurate weapon.

Mine, mounted on a CZ-85 Combat, was/is so darned accurate that I traded away my stainless Ruger MKII Government Slabside with the long barrel. (It was a beautiful gun, and accurate, but became sort of redundant after getting the Kadet Kit -- and I got a great .45 in trade for it, from someone with arthritis problems in their hands.)

By the way: the Kadet Pistol is simply the frame from a 9mm CZ-75B with the Kadet Kit installed at the factory. There are, as best I can tell, no other differences. One advantage of the Kadet Kit is that I can justify getting trigger work done on the 9mm (or .40) CZ, knowing that it'll translate into a better-shooting .22, as well.

You could have done a lot worse -- especially if you can find a used one. The price is NOT what I consider reasonable on new ones.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; March 21, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old March 21, 2013, 07:21 PM   #6
tekarra

Another satisifed Kadet Kit owner. I think every cZ owner should have one.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:55 PM   #7
triplebike

I also have a CZ 75 SA Target by The CZ Custom Shop. I spoke to one of the smiths there & I was told that the Kadet will work fine but, I would have to replace the mainspring due to light strikes. Kadet upper & CZ Custom shop lower , that weould have to be one fine shooting 22. I'm going to order the correct mainspring. I have to try it out.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Bigdave2424

17 lb mainspring works well with the kadet kit.
Old March 22, 2013, 05:15 AM   #9
Pilot

As Walt said, the prices on new Kadet Kits are pretty outrageous. I paid $219 for mine in 2001 I believe, and I thought that was a lot of money then as my Ruger 22/45 (MK II era) was the same price new. They are now over $350, which is also the price for some of the new Rugers, so I guess that's inflation for you. While I do believe the Kadet Kits are worth it in the long run due to the satisfaction you get from shooting a full size service pistol in .22, (and less cost of ammo) I do think one has to think long and hard between the Kit and a dedicated .22 for the same money.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Mr_Jumper

Price tag

That's one thing holding me back... I just can't justify a brand new gun price for a .22 conversion kit, although I hear so many good things about it that it's tempting. I already have SW M&P22 which is a great gun in itself, so that's also not helping.

If I find used one with good price I might bite, but I doubt I'll find one at current crazy market.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:24 AM   #11
Sheriff Gotcha

For my first gun purchase last July I got a CZ-85B and as well a Kadet kit to boot... Very very very happy with the purchase, but looking back I would of preferred to buy a different 22 to have a second gun. Though changing the slide off takes 30 seconds and it is very nice to keep the same trigger pull from 9mm to 22.

One thing I am curious abut though... does your slide lock back? I cannot use the slide lock that came with my Kadet kit, I have to use the one that came with the CZ-85B and it doesn't lock the slide back on the last round. Not that big a problem, but it's just something that'd be nice to have it lock back.

Last edited by Sheriff Gotcha; March 22, 2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Microgunner

Congratulaions on the score.
As you can tell they are very popular.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:42 AM   #13
Pilot

Yes, the Kadet Kit slide locks back on the last round. You need to change out the slide stop for one designed for the Kadet Kit. I was also told by CZ USA that the PCR's slide stop will work best with the Kadet. FWIW, my 75B's slide stop works fine with the Kadet Kit as well.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Walt Sherrill

Just CALL CZ (or email them) and tell them which model CZ you're using the Kadet Kit with.

The various models have slightly different slide stops, depending on the width of the frame and the caliber. The .40 frame's width is is different than the 9mm frame in the same full-size model, and the various 9mm models come in different frame widths. And, a .40 slide stop doesn't extend as far into the mag well as a 9mm slide stop... so it's less likely to catch the follower.

They should send you a new one, free.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:41 PM   #15
jreXD9

Hmmm....can you get this for a Rami?
Old March 22, 2013, 09:11 PM   #16
Walt Sherrill

Someone else will have to answer about the RAMI, but... You can probbly email CZ-USA and get a quick answer.

I can say that the Kadet Kit does not work on the CZ-40P (which is a p-01 frame/40B slide hybrid) or CZ-40B. It will not work with the 97B.

(I've heard tales of one being made to work with the 40B, but don't know that such was correct.)

I've heard that it won't work with the new P-07 or P-09 (just saw article about the P-09 in a new gun magazine.)
Old March 23, 2013, 04:51 PM   #17
ponchsox

Glad you like yours. I am having a ton of FTF with mine That is after installing a 17lb mainspring.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Walt Sherrill

If you have an OLDER Kadet Kit (or Kadet) it could be the firing pin. They've changed the design.

I had intermittent problems with failures to fire until I got a new firing pin from CZ. I'm running a 15 or 16 lb. hammer spring (don't remember which, as I changed it out a long time ago.)

Also, cleaning the firing pin channel might be in order.

Talk with CZ-USA about it. Email SOMETIMES gets answered, phone calls generally do.

CZ-USA
P.O. Box 171073
Kansas City, KS 66117-0073
Toll-free: 1-800-955-4486
Phone: (913) 321-1811
Fax: (913) 321-2251
E-mail: [email protected]
Old March 24, 2013, 06:16 AM   #19
Pilot

I have an early generation Kadet Kit and was getting some light strikes. I called CZ and they sent me the new firing pin, firing pin spring, and retaining plate. No charge. It works flawlessly now.
Old March 24, 2013, 01:40 PM   #20
armoredman

http://youtu.be/I113YlYGavI