The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 15, 2010, 08:20 PM   #26
MJN77

Here's another pic of an authentic type holster. See how it covers the pistol.

Also another pic of ol Bill. Note the holsters. Note how high he wore them. Also note that the holster on his left (your right) that it is a "straight hang" not angled like a modern "cross draw".

Hope it's clear enough.
William (Buffalo Bill) Brooks, horse theif and outlaw. High ridin' belt.

Last edited by MJN77; June 15, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old June 15, 2010, 09:18 PM   #27
MJN77

Here are two Texas Rangers The first is William Callicot, he is wearing his gun cross draw fashion.

The second is Sgt. Ira Aten, he also has his gun cross draw but notice he apparently slid his strong side holster around to his left side with his knife.

This is a cowboy, Joe Ming in 1888.

Notice how high his belt is.
Old June 16, 2010, 04:16 AM   #28
Hawg

Cool pics MJN, nice holster and pistol too. Is that an original Richard's?
Old June 16, 2010, 06:41 AM   #29
MJN77

Nope. It's a Cimarron/Uberti 1851 conversion .38 spl/colt. Started out with "original" finish but it didn't look right so I added a little perma-blu. I like it now. Accurate too.
Old June 16, 2010, 04:33 PM   #30
Hawg

It looks really good.
Old June 16, 2010, 05:05 PM   #31
MJN77

Thank you very much Hawg.
Old June 17, 2010, 12:05 PM   #32
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
authentic type holster
Those are or were called Bucket Holsters...

Real nice coversion you have there too...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old June 17, 2010, 05:20 PM   #33
bedbugbilly

Damn Hog . . . . the photos you post are better 'n the centerfold of the latest issue of Playboy magazine . . . . well . .. almost . . . it'd probably be a tie!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 17, 2010, 05:55 PM   #34
MJN77

It's also called a "slim jim" holster. In this case a California round top.
Thanks SG.

Last edited by MJN77; June 17, 2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old June 17, 2010, 06:20 PM   #35
Hawg

Quote:
Damn Hog . . . . the photos you post are better 'n the centerfold of the latest issue of Playboy magazine . . . . well . .. almost . . . it'd probably be a tie!
Me? Surely not. MJN's pics are better than mine.
Old June 17, 2010, 06:35 PM   #36
MJN77

Dammit Hawg......im blushin.
Old June 17, 2010, 06:46 PM   #37
Hawg

Good.
Old June 17, 2010, 11:47 PM   #38
Model-P

When carried high as they were in the day, cross draw was advantageous for long barreled guns.

Quote:
Stag grips weren't seen either.
Maybe not stag in the 1800s, but IIRC jigged bone was a common cowboy "fixer-upper" replacement stock material, and there are plenty of very old stag grips out there that suggest they may have been used by the end of the cowboy era.....maybe??? Interesting. I never thought about stag not being used in the late 1800s. Not to sidetrack this thread, I'll start another to learn more about the history of stag grips.

Last edited by Model-P; June 18, 2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old June 18, 2010, 06:45 AM   #39
Jim March

I'm of the opinion that Bill did do a double crossdraw. A lot of the photos we have available were definitely staged as hell - this one is a classic example:

There ain't no way he carried with either a big bare blade like that or with his guns "fluffed out" - all of which is clearly for visual effect. Remember, getting your picture taken was a really big deal, a "high tech and new thing" that people dressed up for. You also had to stand there for a while for the slow as hell exposures.

I carry an SA daily in a crossdraw setup of my own design that allows major adjustments to both ride height and tilt angle. This is my favorite setting, which is pretty similar to how Bill carried (but only one gun of course):

This setup is very "high and tight", more or less similar to how Bill carried.

Because of the adjustments available I've tried (briefly) a more "conventional" lower-and-more-horizontal setup:

I can also change the tilt angle around completely and set it up for lower strongside carry:

If you're curious about how this holster works, go here:

http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?t=418769

Back on topic: there's a way to draw from the same side as the gun with butt-forward carry, but it ALWAYS leads to sweeping your own body. It's called the "Prairie Twist Draw". A good pic is available at:

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/Ad...CrossDraw.html

This will get you tossed out of any match and most ranges. I *do* practice it some, with an unloaded gun ONLY, because if my right hand is tied up, shot up or broke I may have to get to it off-handed.

But it's not my standard draw at all and I don't think it was Bill's.
Old June 18, 2010, 08:54 AM   #40
MJN77

Jim-
You may be of that opinion, but eye witness accounts, known friends and researchers of Bill Hickok disagree with you. Read about him. It was a common way to carry AND draw back then. The reverse cavalry draw or "praire twist" is not dangerous. With an unloaded single action revolver, try this. As you draw the gun you are cocking the hammer, twisting the gun around and bringing it up on target. While doing this try to "fire" the gun while drawing. It isn't as easy as you may think. The way your thumb twists on the hammer makes it ptetty tough to let go of it. Hell, the cavalry troopers did it that way( reverse CAVALRY draw). And "gunfighters" didn't worry about matches or range officers tossing them out when someone tried to kill them.
As far as "cross" draw, time yourself and see how long it takes to reach all the way across your body, get hold of your gun THEN pull it. Then time yourself with a strong side draw. Like I said earlier, I carry SA revolvers in a cross draw fashion so this is not about my preference. Cross draw is better when mounted (seated) but that's really the only benefit.

Again, look at 1800 period photos and see how many "cross draw" holsters you come up with.

Last edited by MJN77; June 18, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old June 18, 2010, 12:48 PM   #41
Model-P

Quote:
The reverse cavalry draw or "praire twist" is not dangerous.
I tried to convince a group of this, and the semi-auto guys nearly castrated me! Well, yeah......I guess with a semi-auto it wouldn't be a good way to carry, but with a revolver it is just fine.

Quote:
Again, look at 1800 period photos and see how many "cross draw" holsters you come up with.
A century is a long time, and the 19th century covers a huge part of revolver and holster development. I have found that cross draw and twist draw seemed to predominate until some time after the Civil War. Period photos from the 1880s on seem to favor the standard draw. It's all evolutionary, and shorter barrels became more popular with time.
Old June 18, 2010, 10:06 PM   #42
MJN77

"A century is a long time"

You're right. But revolvers were only around for the second half of that century.

"cross draw and twist draw seemed to predominate until some time after the Civil War"

The Civil War was only about 10 years after revolvers started becoming common and the war lasted 4 years. Look at CW era pics of CIVILIANS during the war, in the mining camps of California or the western frontier towns. I bet you see more strong side holsters. Heck, I have even seen pics of confederate guerrillas (bushwhackers) in Missouri wearing their guns butts to the rear.(guerrillas most often wore their guns butt foreward) Most of the pics I have seen in the last 20+ years show strong side carry more often than not 1860s to 1900s. I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I'm just presenting the facts as I have found them through research for a very long time. I am by no means an expert nor do I claim to be. I hope I don't come across the wrong way.
Old June 18, 2010, 11:50 PM   #43
the Black Spot

if i did concealed carry it would be standard strong side, too easy for someone if they go in close to grab your gun in a crossdraw carry.
Old June 19, 2010, 12:40 AM   #44
Jimmy10mm

As Black Spot said, in a close quarter altercation the possibility of someone having the butt of your gun within easy reach is a possibility that I wouldn't want. In his excellent book."No Second Place Winner," Bill Jordan, shooter extradonaire, pointed out that exact scenario as one good reason not to carry cross draw fashion. He also pointed out that in a strong side draw the muzzle is brought up in line with the target. In a cross draw the muzzle is moving across the target and it is easier to get a hit from the strong side draw. If you've never read the book get a copy. It is really informative.
Old June 19, 2010, 01:12 AM   #45
davem

well....I'm sort of surprised no one has yet mentioned this so I guess I will. I think one advantage of a cross draw has to do with the barrel length on the handgun. Let's say you have a 4" barrel, if you wear a normal holster you only have to lift the gun about 5-6" to clear the holster BUT if you have a real hog leg with a 7 1/2" or longer barrel, then you are really raising your elbow pulling that gun out of a normal holster, but if that same holster is worn cross draw, it is a lot easier to pull a long barreled handgun out- or at least it is for me.
Old June 19, 2010, 01:19 AM   #46
Model-P

Quote:
well....I'm sort of surprised no one has yet mentioned this so I guess I will. I think one advantage of a cross draw has to do with the barrel length on the handgun.
I mentioned it! I mentioned it! (Toot! Toot!)

Quote:
When carried high as they were in the day, cross draw was advantageous for long barreled guns.

And I think you are spot on Anyone with an 8" barreled 1858 or 1860 should experiment and find out how true it is.
Old June 19, 2010, 01:26 AM   #47
davem

Sorry, missed it.
Old June 19, 2010, 08:15 AM   #48
MJN77

Actually, I mentioned it in my very first post in this thread.
Old August 12, 2010, 02:12 AM   #49
Mose Jefferson

Sorry to dig up a dead thread, but...

Carryin your pistol backwards is also a good way to keep the grips from printing while concealed. For a bean pole like me, it's quite helpful. Hell, on a windy day, that big ol' hunk of steel on my belt is just about the only thing holdin me down.

Lately, when I don't feel like giving up my front pocket to my 642, I've been slappin my right-hand Simply Rugged Silver Dollar on my left side. The next holster I have those folks make me is gonna be a left-hander for my right side, for the 3" sp101, which was always too big for my britches.

Until I started carryin backwards, that is.
Old August 12, 2010, 03:18 AM   #50
Slowhand

Glad You Brought It Up

Interesting thread. I carry concealed. The Primary Weapon a Sig P-239 is at 4 O'Clock IWB, the BUG a Ruger LCP .380 is usually IWB or OWB depending on how I'm dressed at !0 O'Clock. The .380 is carried at a cross draw position.

In the Winter, depending on where I'm going, with a coat or vest, it's a Shoulder Holster, left side of course Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 44 Mag. With either the Sig or the Ruger LCP .380 as a BUG, at the 10 'Clock position.