The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 21, 2008, 10:22 AM   #1
The Great Mahoo

Looking for tuckable IWB holsters

I am in the market for two new holsters and am hoping you fine members can offer some insight. I am looking for IWB holsters that can be worn with the shirt tucked in overtop of. I'd like one for a Glock 36 and a Taurus 651 revolver.

So far I was considering:

Desantis Tuck This

Crossbreed

Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC

Tucker Gunleather - Cover Up IWB

Of these, only the Tucker seems to work with my revolver. I'd like some more options for the revolver hoslter; most seem geared toward autos.

Any oppinions for holsters would be greatly appreciated. I am not concerned with having extra mag holders on or with the holster, as I don't see a need to carry an extra clip (though I woulnd't rule out an otherwise good holster for having it.)

I typically wear about 3 o'clock position and prefer a straight rig, rather than a forward cant.

Thanks in advance!
Old July 21, 2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Musketeer

http://kdholsters.com/

I have the above, a Dakota Defender, for a 5" 1911 and it is my best holster. A great deal and a great product. It is listed for the 36 but I do not see the Taurus listed.

also nice is the Blade Tech UCH
http://www.blade-tech.com/Blade-Tech...er-pr-821.html

I use it for my Firestar M43 (an older gun which is hard to find holsters fo.) It is stable with the smaller gun. Unlike the Defender above it has one locking point for the belt and is Kydex. It is not as comfortable as the leather against the body but more concealable. I will regularly wear it all day with no problems. It is not uncomfortable, just not like leather.

Both are good holsters.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old July 21, 2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Musketeer

On the others...

I had a first generation Crossbreed. It was a good holster but I found the exposed muzzle design resulted in a hole being worn through two pairs of pants.

The DeSantis is a "Get what you pay for." It is cheap and may see you through but is far from stable and can be uncomfortable.

Old July 21, 2008, 12:35 PM   #4
tacticalmedic

Highnoon Holsters

Check out www.highnoonholsters.com I have the Hidden Ally and the Bare Asset. Both are nice tuckables and are not expensive.
Old July 21, 2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Kreyzhorse

I believe that Galco makes a tuckable as well. I've had great success with their products.

www.usgalco.com
Old July 22, 2008, 09:58 AM   #6
tonerguy

Another Tuckable IWB for Revolvers

You may like the Tucker Texas Heritage for anything larger than a J-Frame.
We sell a lot of them for K-Frame, L-Frame and even N-Frames.
The Cover Up does best for J-Frames and SP-101's.

Thinner belt clips and velcro clips are available for these as well. Lot's of options.

We also make the Kydex "Easy Reach" for a growing number of revolvers.
If you don't immediately see what you want, just call us. We love hearing from you guys.
Rob

Last edited by tonerguy; July 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Clarify.
Old July 22, 2008, 10:08 AM   #7
tplumeri

Quote:
I believe that Galco makes a tuckable as well. I've had great success with their products.
I have a Galco USA (ultimate second ammendment!) thats tuckable and conceals very well.
Old July 22, 2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Musketeer

One very important point. Any holster is worthless when placed on a cheap K-Mart belt.

http://www.donhume.com/Products/Prod...?ProductID=478

I have worn this belt for 2 years. It is 1 1/4" meaning it works with everything from suits to jeans. It still is worn by me 95% of the time and is great. At less than $50 it is a steal since I would have gone through 4 cheaper belts by now.

A serious belt is needed to hold a gun properly and not deform. The belt goes with the holster.

Old July 22, 2008, 12:42 PM   #9
jwig

IWB

I am a LEO. I have had many duty and CC pistols and their respective holsters. I carry everyday and have used holsters from Desantis, Galco, Safariland, Don Hume, Tucker, Crossbreed, Bianchi, Blackhawk, Uncle Mike's, Fobus and Springfield. By far the best IWB in terms of ergonomics, construction, ease of holster and reholster (one handed) and cost is the Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. I have taken it through tactical concealed carry classes and can reholster as smooth and nearly as fast as an outside the waistband holster. Once it molds to your body, you can not go wrong.
Old July 22, 2008, 01:14 PM   #10
Musketeer

While I no longer use my Crossbreed (which is almost a direct clone of the Tucker who did it first) I can attest it was easy to reholster and very comfortable.

The only thing I did not like was the exposed muzzle. My 1911 just wore holes into my pants too easily due to it.

Old July 30, 2008, 10:24 AM   #11
The Great Mahoo

Thanks for all the help! I will be looking them all over and likely placing an order for one or more by the end of the week.
Old July 30, 2008, 04:58 PM   #12
cash2006

just got a pro undercover (non tuckable) for my g27 from the comtac folks and am happier with it as I am my blackhawk serpa paddle/loop setup.

They even included candy in my order!
Old July 30, 2008, 04:59 PM   #13
cash2006

as happy excuse me.
Old July 30, 2008, 06:02 PM   #14
tplumeri

Quote:
and likely placing an order for one or more

good idea, try a few and sell what you dont like.
Old July 30, 2008, 06:55 PM   #15
DWARREN123

Check out WWW.GUNNERSALLEY.COM for inexpensive holsters and gear.
Old August 8, 2008, 01:12 PM   #16
The Great Mahoo

Well, I am having a hard time deciding right now. I purchased a Hidden Ally for my revolver (which should be arriving today!) but I haven't yet ordered a holster for my Glock. I am torn between the CompTac MTAC and the KD Dakota Defender.

I like the looks of the KD much better, but I am not sure I want to wait 4 months to get one, when I can get the MTAC in less than 1. Also, I think the J hooks of the MTAC may be less conspicuous than the clips on the Defender. Personally, I think I may like the leather holster of the Defender better, but the clips and wait time have me stumped.

I considered ordering both, using the MTAC until the Defender arrives, then sell whichever I dislike more, but I don't want to spend twice as much as I need to now.

Can anyone offer any insight on it? I hope to order one next week, or else i may never get either of them.

---------
Edit:

I just was rebrowsing and I see that Tucker has the different clips. How adjustable are they in terms of depth and cant? I see the wait on them is still 3-4 months though.

I guess a quality product is worth the wait though.
Old August 8, 2008, 01:18 PM   #17
Musketeer

Quote:
I like the looks of the KD much better, but I am not sure I want to wait 4 months to get one, when I can get the MTAC in less than 1. Also, I think the J hooks of the MTAC may be less conspicuous than the clips on the Defender. Personally, I think I may like the leather holster of the Defender better, but the clips and wait time have me stumped.
There are alternate clips for the Defender available. I use the C clips. I like them more than J clips because they also cover the top of the belt but not its face. They are not as obtrusive as a full clip but unlike a J hook help keep the rig from sliding down.

THE BELT IS CRITICAL WITH ANY HOLSTER. DO NOT SKIMP ON THE BELT.

As far as the wait... How long do you plan on owning the gun? See where I am going?

I love my Dakota, it is my favorite holster out of all the ones I own for all my guns. Waiting sucks but it is better than getting something a couple months early and being locked into it for years when it is not what you really wanted.

Old August 8, 2008, 02:00 PM   #18
Musketeer

Dakota Clips:

http://kdholsters.com/kydex-clips.php

Old August 8, 2008, 06:15 PM   #19
K-Man

We utilize the same clips as Comp-Tac. The j-hook style of clip is no longer available, as they stopped making them.

As to the wait time - it's certainly understandable for the dilemma. We feel very fortunate to be as busy as we are, and we work 7 days a week on getting the orders out. We'd welcome the opportunity to make a holster for you, but again, we understand the wait time is a deterrent.

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.
Old August 20, 2008, 02:08 PM   #20
The Great Mahoo

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the help.

I ordered the Hidden Ally for my 651 and received it about a week ago. For only $40 and no wait time, it has proven to be a great holster. It's very comfortable, and I easily forget that its there. Far nicer than the Uncle Mikes that the local shops carry, though more expensive. The holster easily accomodates tucking a shirt in over it, making it ideal for carrying while dressed for work or an evening out when I need to look a bit more than casual.
My only complaint is that the black clip stands out like a sore thumb on a lot of clothes. I have had to replace my favored brown belts with black ones to help disguise the clip, but it is still a bit noticible (atleast since i know to look for it). It does hide very well on darker pants, which I typically where when I would be worried about it standing out (work, etc). All in all, I am very happy with it.

I finally settled on the K&D Dakota, after much praise from Musketeer and my own like of it. I must say though, the new Thunderbird that has since been released has me thinking about ording one as well. A holster that doubles as IWB and OWB seems very handy. I spoke with the salesman though, and he says it doesn't tuck as easily as the Dakota, which is essential for most of my carrying attire. It may still find its way into my collection for another gun down the line though. I sure will be anxious for Thanksgiving this year, since that oughta be the time my new Dakota comes in. I'll have to post a review of it once I've had ample time to test it out. Its going to be a long 15 weeks!