The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 6, 2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Saltydog235

Cynergy????

Looking at a new do all type O/U.

I've shot a Browning Citori Lightening 12ga or 20ga Superlight for 25+ years on dove and upland birds and will continue to do so. However, I recently traded my SBE1 that I used for deer and waterfowl and am in the market for a new waterfowl/do all type shotgun. Don't ask why but for some strange reason I'm drawn to the Cynergy Synthetics, probably because they are ugly as sin and I don't have to get my feelings hurt if they get bumped around some.

I'm looking for one in the MO Infinity pattern with 30" barrels. I know it's not a traditional clays gun but I've started shooting more clays as of late. My FIL owns a preserve in GA with 2 courses plus there are a number of courses within a short drive of my home. Would this ugly gun be at home on the clays course after a morning of shooting ducks on the river or is it wishful thinking.

I'm sort of torn between a nice gun with a wood stock and one of these Tupperware guns.

Other considerations besides the Ugly are the Citori 725, Berretta Silver Pigeon and Ceasar Guerini Tiempio. Not as concerned about price as I am the best fit for my overall needs, sort of why I lean towards the Ugly right now.
Old January 6, 2014, 12:11 PM   #2
BigJimP

I think this model of the Browning Cynergy - in synthetic - is the only one with an option for 30" barrels, so I'm presuming this is the model you're looking at....

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=013&tid=296

In my area they're selling new for about $ 300 under list... so its around $ 3,600.

Its a gun that weighs right around 7 and 3/4 lbs....and in 30"...it should give you good swing characteristics / and it has a 3" chamber, so its a little more versatile than a gun with a 2 3/4" chamber for waterfowl. Last I knew, all of the synthetic adj combs ...were not infinitely adjustable ...they moved up and down in small preset increments..and did not adjust for cast either on or off ...so they only moved up and down ( vs the more traditional adj combs found on most wood stocked guns ).

As long as it fits you - then it should be fine.

To me the Cynergy fits more like a Beretta ...a little more narrow in the grip area, a little lighter ...than the more traditional Citori line of the Browning O/U's...and of course the forends are styled differently .... ( I favor a gun like the Citori XS Skeet model - with an adj comb and the semi Beavertail forend with finger grooves) ...but then I'm old and set in my ways...
Old January 6, 2014, 12:58 PM   #3
Saltydog235

No sir, this is the Ugly I'm looking for:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411540431

It's a good bit less than the Syn Sporting, unported and doesn't have the Diana tubes. I can get most aftermarket higher end tubes for the Cynergy at cost so I'm not real concerned with that.
Old January 6, 2014, 02:08 PM   #4
BigJimP

My word,,,,,, that is ugly ........no wonder its not in the Browning catalog anymore ....

But seriously, mechanically all of the Cynergy models are the same ....there is nothing wrong with them...( and a little sand paper / and some spray paint would fix that one ...???) ...geez....
Old January 6, 2014, 03:01 PM   #5
Saltydog235

Told you so. I got pretty guns too. I just tend to use Ugly guns more where I am. My field conditions are usually nasty as it gets. I cringe every time one of my nice guns subjected to the muck, mud and swamp time I put them through.

I imagine on a clays course I'll get some looks, probably make a lady faint and not be invited to socialize with the gentlemen set.
Old January 6, 2014, 03:13 PM   #6
BigJimP

Now that's probably not true.... / you should buy it if you like it....
---------
Like I said before, my general purpose gun is a Citori XS Skeet model, 30" barrels...in a 12ga ( but I have them in a 20ga, 28ga and .410 also )...but its my primary field gun for upland birds, and I've duck hunted with it as well...and for Skeet, Sporting Clays and 5 Stand...
---------
But my "travel gun" -- where I don't want to take more than one gun, or take an expensive wood stocked gun on an airplane...is the Benelli Super sport model, 12ga, with the synthetic comfort tech stock.....its fairly ugly as well.../ and I've camo taped it up for waterfowl as well....its a good all weather - rain gun or whatever....

http://www.benelliusa.com/supersport-shotgun

its look, is not spectacular either..../ but it does everything pretty well...so I get why you want one gun to do more than one thing....
Old January 6, 2014, 05:36 PM   #7
RoscoeC

Quote:
To me the Cynergy fits more like a Beretta ...a little more narrow in the grip area, a little lighter ...than the more traditional Citori line of the Browning O/U's...and of course the forends are styled differently .... ( I favor a gun like the Citori XS Skeet model - with an adj comb and the semi Beavertail forend with finger grooves) ...but then I'm old and set in my ways...
This is right on. I have a Cynergy Classic with adjustable comb and walnut stock. I absolutely love it. It's locking mechanism is much like that of the Beretta's, so the barrels sit lower in the receiver than the Citori. It is a very solid shotgun.
NRA Life Member