The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 30, 2000, 07:38 PM   #1
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Fellas,

I'm back from spending 10 days setting up,shooting,and working at Mule Camp 2000. We had 490 folks shoot the match,and an incredible number of spectators due to the most extensive press coverage we've ever had. I worked as Asst. Range Master,covering half of the ten stages being shot. For the first time,we used permanent berm marshalls on each stage,and the stage descriptions were recorded on CDs. This led to each stage being shot consistently from posse to posse,and we had lots of positive comments on that system.

It looks like there was some fat chewin' going on around here while I was gone. Thanks to the regulars for keeping things going in my absence.

Bellicose Bill
Old May 30, 2000, 07:45 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Where's the pics, Bill?

We need input!
Rich
Old May 31, 2000, 07:50 AM   #3
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Rich,

I didn't take any pics,but a couple of my pards did. As soon as they get them developed and scanned,I'm sure some will show up in my mailbox,and I'll post them here.

Bellicose Bill
Old May 31, 2000, 08:00 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Look forward to seeing the pics. Congrats on another great Mule Camp!
Old May 31, 2000, 08:37 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Bill
Can you expound some more on the use of CDs for stage description? Sounds like a good idea!
Old May 31, 2000, 09:44 AM   #6
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy fal308,

The theme for Mule Camp this year was TV Westerns. Each stage CD started with the theme music from the selected Western,then a brief history of the Western. The stage was then set up with a small story. The CD then had the stage description read exactly as it was in the shooter's book. These were very specific descriptions,leaving very little to chance. If you had to start in a certain spot,we had a stepping stone set in the ground that required a shooter to have both feet on it. The berm marshals answered any questions and described any procedures not specifically covered on the CD.

The use of CDs,berm marshals,stepping stones,etc. was to make sure that each posse shot each stage in the same way. This removed any ambiguity caused by differing interpretation of stage descriptions and procedures. I worked as Asst. Range Master and saw each stage shot numerous times by posses of differing skill level. The stages were run very consistently,and the shooters seemed to enjoy the CD descriptions.

I've heard nothing but positive comments on this system,and I'm sure that it will be used again at next year's Mule Camp.

Bellicose Bill
Old June 1, 2000, 08:10 AM   #7
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Thanks Bill. Think I'll print this off and show it to our CAS rangemaster. We're in the finishing stages of building our permanent CAS range at my club and are always looking for ways to improve.

------------------
TFL End of Summer Meet
Old June 1, 2000, 09:09 AM   #8
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

I haven't received any pics from Mule Camp yet,but the official photographer has posted a bunch of pics here- www.wciatl.com/~dtripp/mulecamp2k.html . Be advised,that their are a bunch of photos all on this one page,so it takes awhile to load. I had to hit refresh a few times to get all of the pics. Towards the bottom is a pic of yours truly on my "horse" (four-wheeler).

Bellicose Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Mitchell (edited June 01, 2000).]
Old June 2, 2000, 09:25 AM   #9
Ned Roundtree

Nice photos. Is that Cherokeee Big Dog in the ninth picture? Two cowboys standing together.
Old June 3, 2000, 08:06 AM   #10
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Ned,

I can't tell you if that's him or not. While I can name a lot of the folks in those pics,I don't know 'em all.

Bellicose Bill
Old June 3, 2000, 09:16 AM   #11
terridarri

Nice pics Bill, I would like to attend one of those in person, it looks like alot of fun.

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT
TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old June 3, 2000, 08:14 PM   #12
Ned Roundtree

Understand, Bill. I shoot at so many clubs both in Kentuck and Ohi, I know I recognize the name and face but can't always name the club they are from. Like, one cowboy by the name of Kaintuck is from Ohio. Go figure! On my way to shoot at Knob Creek (West Point, KY) tomorrow. See, even the famous Knob Creek Machine Gun Range goes cowboy once a month! Car is loaded with guns, ammo and gun carts. Just counting the hours!