The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 05:24 PM   #1
bigtoe113

Harrington and Richardson revolver

I have a old Harrington and Richardson revolver. This was passed down to my from my father when he passed away. I have no idea what the caliber, age or value of this pistol. Honestly I know nothing about it. Was wondering if someone could assist me in finding out more about this pistol? I have tried to research it and they mentioned date stamps and what not on the sides, but the only markings are on the top of the barrel, in the chamber and on the grips. nothing to indicate any specifics about it.

For some reason it won't let me upload any pictures of it, but if someone wants to see just let me know where to send them to.

Thanks
Old January 25, 2013, 06:48 PM   #2
357 Python

Is it a breaktop or does the cylinder swing out? On the barrel there should be a caliber designation. It could be something like .22LR, .38 S&W, .38 Special or similar. My father had an old H&R breaktop in .38 S&W with a 4 inch barrel. I believe it was a model 926. Any description like barrel length, break top, swing out cylinder or anything will help.
Old January 26, 2013, 11:41 PM   #3
bigtoe113

break

It is a break top and there is no caliber designation on the side of the barrel or anywhere on the gun. The only marking are on the top of the barrel.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:40 AM   #4
jhvaughan2

H&R top break. Either .32 or .38 S&W (not .32 long or .38 special)
Do you maybe have a 38 special to try it with? A .38 special will fit in a 38 S&W hole, just not all the way in. If it is too small it is a .32 S&W.

Both of these cartridges are getting a bit difficult to find. A .32 acp will fit in the .32 S&W cylinder but in an H&R I would not fire it.

H&Rs do not have the value of Smith and Wessons. Depending on condition I would say $150 - $300 if you could find the right buyer. If they are in good shape the are quality pieces for fun shooting. However without reloading the cost of ammo will be high.