The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 13, 2009, 12:22 PM   #1
XD Gunner

Stoeger Over Unders?

Been debating getting an over-under for a while now. Got to tool around with a Citori a few weeks ago, and it really stuck in my mind. I was looking for a reasonable (ie: cheap) but decent quality over under to get my feet wet with, and stumbled over the Stoeger Condors.

Was looking at this one

http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir..._and_combo.php

Any input? Good quality, fit and finish? No problems? This will serve as a skeet gun, and possibly a bird gun if it performs okay.

Also, any suggestions on a good over-under ~$800 or less?

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old November 13, 2009, 12:38 PM   #2
oletymer

Your experience with the Citori was one of the guns to look at. The Stoegers are not in the same league. They are cheap guns that may work for you but they don't hold up as well. Other inexpensive o/us are Lanbers and Veronas. The best choices in the lower price range are Browning and Berettas. They are more than your price range but the best what I consider low priced o/us.
Old November 13, 2009, 01:43 PM   #3
oneounceload

IF your goal is to shoot a few rounds of skeet and then do a little bird hunting, the Stoeger MAY do OK for you. However, IF your goal is to shoot a LOT of clay targets and/or do some serious high-volume bird shooting, then the Beretta or Browning, along with SKB are going to be your best bet - even used.

Folks have been reporting that CDNN and Buds are running some specials with one of the Citori lines running under $1,000. Those guns are equal in quality and performance, but not in fit. Typically, if the Browning fits, the Beretta will not, and vice-versa. The best thing is to go to a gun club and rent/borrow as many as you can and find the one that fits you the best.

Remember, if your goal is a lot of shooting, the cost of the gun will be the least costly aspect, so buy a good one in the beginning and avoid the time lost due to repairs and breakage, knowing that if you decide to sell it down the road, you'll get most, if not all, of your money back from Beretta or Browning
Old November 13, 2009, 02:00 PM   #4
XD Gunner

Thanks for the input, looks like opinions on the Stoeger are dismal at best.

In response the the use of the gun. This is something that may be used to shoot 200 skeet a year, and possibly see at most 3 bird hunts a year. I have two 870 Wingmasters that do most of the hunting, and this would be more of a hobby purchase than anything.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old November 13, 2009, 03:45 PM   #5
BigJimP

+ 1 on what OneOunce and Oletymer said ....

Too many shooters make the decision that they want an O/U - but not all shotguns are the same in terms of stock dimensions, drop at comb, drop at heel, etc ..... so not very many O/U's fit most of us.

I favor the Browning / but only a couple of models of the Browning Citori will fit me ( so the rest of them are a waste of money to me / and will beat the daylights out of me, because they will recoil into my face - they have too much drop at comb and heel ) ..... There isn't anything wrong with the gun / it just doesn't fit me. And none of the Beretta lineup fit me ... So for me I need a parallel comb - like the Citori XS Skeet model / or XS Special model / or XT Trap model ....

On top of the fit issue / there is the reliability issue with the Stoeger .....but somebody may come along and say they've had one for 5 yrs with no issues too ....

Try some different guns / figure out what fits you and what doesn't before you buy anything .... ( and you can shoot Skeet with the 870 Wingmaster ...) in the meantime ( especially if you're only shooting 8 rounds a year ). When most of us talk about dedicated Skeet guns - we talk about shooting 8 lines of Skeet a week or more .....
Old November 14, 2009, 05:10 PM   #6
perazzimx14

Cheap and decent quality does not apply to SxS or O/U's. Look for a an older used Citori they can be had in the $600 - $800 range. If you buy right you will never lose a dime if you sell and if a couple of years goes by you will make money. With the Stroeger or how ever you spell it, you will lose 50% of its value as soon as you buy it and you will never get your money out of it.

Buy smart the first time and it will save you money in the long run!!!!

An example is I bought my MX14 5 years ago for $4500 shot 70,000 rounds through it and I can still get the same money back out of the gun should I see it.