The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2015, 07:29 PM   #1
riverratt

real quick question on alloys

I see it all the time, 95/5/1 will yield X BHN, or whatever. I have tried finding some basic info but Can't seem find it. Is this measured by volume, or weight? I'm assuming Volume because of the density difference between tin and lead but you know what they say about assuming.
Old February 27, 2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Vance

I always assumed it was by weight. It is based on percentages. 96% lead 2% tin and 2% antimony = 100%. That would be different amount depending on if you go by weight or volume. I'm curious now too.
Old February 27, 2015, 08:32 PM   #3
3kgt2nv

its usually parts. 94 lead 5 tin 1 antimony etc so it doesn't matter what weight of lead your melting its just the ratio your looking at.

1000 pounds is mixed the same as 1 pound.

96 2 2 or 94 4 2 usually.

if your using recovered range lead this is kind of spotty as you cant know the percentages of alloy after it is melted down.

personally I have found recovered range led is usually hard enough for most bullets except for magnum loads
Old February 27, 2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Vance

http://thefiringline.com/forums/arch...?t-456726.html
I found this in the archives. Seems to be by weight like I thought.
Old February 27, 2015, 08:57 PM   #5
Vance

Lyman #2 is 5% tin 5% antimony and 90% lead. I think what riverrat was asking is do you measure by weight or by volume. My research says by weight. So Lyman #2 would be 5 pounds tin, 5 pounds antimony and 90 pounds lead to equal 100 pounds. I used those numbers to keep it simple.
Old February 28, 2015, 12:29 AM   #6
Wreck-n-Crew

Here's a great read on alloys and hardness with charts:
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...Metallurgy.htm
Be sure to read through all the chapters if you have time.

Another chapter here has some mixture formulas using Rotometals Hard to get desired hardness: http://www.lasc.us/SuperHard.htm#recipes

An awesome place for anything casting or swaging to bullet molds and design here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Some notes worth mentioning ( I am far from being an expert):
Different Mixtures will cast better at different temperatures. So if you change the formula, you may need to adjust the temp. Also may need to adjust temp when moving from one bullet caliber to another. Most of that is touched upon in the first read link I posted or in the other chapters there.

You can get most of what you need from clip on wheel weights if casting for standard pistol calibers. You can get a harder BHN by water dropping and super hard by heat treating them. Also pointed out in the chapters from the first link .