The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2012, 06:02 PM   #1
charliechevy

40 Cal Taper crimp doesn't work on 135 gr Nosler HP??

So I was reloading my M&P 40 Pro with some 135 gr Nosler HP and noticed even after the taper crimp, the bullets would still recess? I checked my measurements again and was dead on at 1.085, as called for in the reloading manual. My question is, has anyone else had this issue? I don't typically shoot 135's out of the 40, but was looking for a lighter load for some comps and got a good deal on these. Typically I shoot 165's, so if this can't be fixed I'll cut my losses and press on. Thanks all.

Charlie
Old August 10, 2012, 06:16 PM   #2
drail

Bullet dia. and expanded case dia. are the problem. The case is either overexpanded or the bullet is under dia. No type of crimp will hold the bullet in the case. The case's neck tension is what holds it. Measure the expander button from your die and measure the bullet. If the expander button is not at least 4 or 5 thous. smaller than the bullet it is not going to allow enough case neck tension. The crimp serves ONLY to remove the flare from the case, that's all it does. I would almost bet that your previous loadings with those dies were allowing some bullet movement as well. But check the dia. of the new bullets first. Every set of pistol dies I have ever owned had an expander button that was oversized. I have turned them down to slightly less than bullet dia. in a drill press. They won't pull or setback now. Variations in case wall thickness can result in insufficient neck tension also. Some brands of brass are thinner than normal.

Last edited by drail; August 10, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old August 10, 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
charliechevy

I think it may be the bullet diameter. I'm going to measure to see if it's .401 in a sec. I ran the cases through the resizing/priming tool already and never had any issues with the 165's. I'll report what I find in a few.
Old August 10, 2012, 06:21 PM   #4
drail

How's your weather up there in Alaska?
Old August 10, 2012, 06:23 PM   #5
charliechevy

Weather is beautiful today, mid 60's and no wind. Bullet diameter is .385, I'm wondering if when I used the neck expander I set it wrong. Relatively new to the handgun loads. My last 400 rounds with 165 gr were flawless though.
Old August 10, 2012, 06:30 PM   #6
charliechevy

Holy crap, I think you're right with the brass comment. A buddy of mine was shooting some PR brass or some crap, and I've been using Winchester and Federal. I'll let you know in a minute.
Old August 10, 2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

.385?!

Can't be! They fall right into the case!
Old August 10, 2012, 06:38 PM   #8
charliechevy

Sorry, micrometer read .398. And it was the brass. RP from I believe remington UMC loads. He got the box of 250 for $87. I loaded the same .398 HP in a Winchester piece of brass with the same settings...measurement before crimp, 1.086. After crimp, 1.086. After chambering, 1.086. Perfect. I didn't think of the brass as this is the first time I've ever strayed away from Winchester or Federal. Thanks guys. Just saved me a lot of anger and material.

Charlie