The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 18, 2012, 02:12 PM   #26
skidder

Quote:
Last week, I placed a Security Six in SS 4" barrel on layaway. The selling price was $369.00... Based on what I have read, I may have paid a bit more than it is worth. The cylinder was very tight and the revolver is in like new condition. I will pick it up in a few weeks and will post photos. The pistol looks just like the one on this photo. Any comments about accuracy?
My Security Six last range visit. A 2.25" group at 25 yrds minus the stray . You're gonna love that thing, even more, after you shoot it.

Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder

Last edited by skidder; September 18, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old September 18, 2012, 03:10 PM   #27
YankeeIronSights

Nice grouping Skidder. I can't wait to pick up my Security Six to visit the range. I will post photos of my practice session soon. Thanks for sharing.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:50 PM   #28
windshear

Boring

That's the biggest problem with my 4" Security Six. Boringly accurate; boringly reliable. It even sends wadcutter target loads to the exact same Point of Aim as hot loaded 125gr JHPs...at 25 yards. The gun is totally boring.

I love boring and I LOVE Security Sixes. Owned a GP100 once. Like Strafer Gott said, it was a clunker in comparison. Only way I could like a GP100 is if I'd never shot a Security Six.
Old September 19, 2012, 12:42 AM   #29
mrt949

SECURITY SIX .The gp100 is too heavy for me.
Old September 19, 2012, 03:04 AM   #30
chrisintexas

From where can one purchase security six in .44 magnum? thanks
Old September 19, 2012, 09:10 AM   #31
Strafer Gott

Ask Bill Ruger when you meet him.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:53 PM   #32
FLChinook

Oh no! I was just about to decide between a GP100 and a 686. Now I have to contend with considering yet another option

When did they stop making the Security Six? Is $400 to much to pay for a stainless 4" in pretty good (but obviously not new) condition?

Thanks

PS. I appreciate the average contributor to this forum seldom decides between two gun options; it appears they have at least two of everything A good friend once taught me that "one is none and two is one". I have no problem applying that logic to hammers or drill bits but to guns
Old September 20, 2012, 12:38 AM   #33
LockedBreech

boa2, that is an enviable collection of beautiful guns.
Old September 20, 2012, 01:01 AM   #34
skidder

Quote:
When did they stop making the Security Six? Is $400 to much to pay for a stainless 4" in pretty good (but obviously not new) condition?
They stopped making them in 1988.

That is not a bad price. I paid $350 for my 4" stainless about a year ago, and their prices have been steadily climbing.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old September 20, 2012, 07:12 PM   #35
Scott429

The security six is a good solid revolver but it is not as strong as the gp. both are very nice pieces and own both. the gp has the edge with hot reloads and cast bullets. the security six has taken deer and groundhogs, the later out to beyond 100yds. the gp has not been put through its paces in the field yet but on the range has proven itself to be quite the shooter and handles hot loads like they were nothing.
Old September 20, 2012, 08:38 PM   #36
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisintexas
From where can one purchase security six in .44 magnum? thanks
Unlikely.

There is probably not enough room for a 44 (.429") caliber bullet to line up with the barrel, clear the centerline of the cylinder and leave enough metal for the barrel to screw into the frame and withstand the pounding a 44 Magnum would give the gun.

You might be able to get a gunsmith with a remarkably equipped shop to turn the Security Six into a 5-shot 44 special if there is enough metal for the barrel threads. It would be a really nice gun. Like the Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special, but for a pretty high price and at the removal of an EXCELLENT .357 Magnum from the world's population. So, while I know one reason why you would want to, I have to ask, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO?

Yeah, obviously I have thought about it myself.

Lost Sheep
Old September 22, 2012, 11:30 AM   #37
boa2

LockedBreech:

1)Thanks for the compliment on my guns!

2)The Six Series were the first revolvers that I had a strong desire to collect. Although I eventually started adding both Colt and Smith-Wesson revolvers to my collection, I always tended to snatch up every nice Security/Service/Speed-Six revolvers that I'd come across. There is just something about these fine revolvers that keeps drawing me to them.They are a near perfect medium frame revolver because they are super strong for their size and they are easier to carry than a GP100. Unless you are firing ultra hot loads, the somewhat extra strength of the GP100 is not needed. Make no mistake-the Six Series revolvers are as tough as nails and are not weak by any means! This is not to knock the GP100 because it is a fine revolver but IMO is not as classy as the Six Series and too bulky for my tastes. The only exception is the GP's with the half lug barrel profile-as these look similar to the Security and Service-Six revolvers and weigh just a couple of ounces more. Currently, I only have one 4" stainless(chambered in .38 Spec.), one 6" stainless, and one 6" blue, half lug GP's.

Last edited by boa2; September 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM.