The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 3, 2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Birdville2011

new to reloading

I have never reloaded before but have heard it can be money saving. is this true, and if so, how can i reload my 30-30 cartridges for a whitetail load? also, about how much time does this take?
Springfield 20ga (old)
Old August 3, 2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

Starting reloading

Birdville 2011--How I envy you--starting in to reloading in this day & age when so much info is available!!

First thing you want is knowledge--The Standard Textbook on reloading is The ABC's of Reloading put out by Krause Publishing www.krause.com

Get it @ yr local sptg gds sto, gun sho, the I'net, or order from the publisher. They must be doing something right; the current edition is the 6th, and my spy @ Krause tells me that they're working on the 7th edition (due out this fall or winter.)

Anyhow, the ABC's will answer all of your questions about how to go about loading a .30-30 for whitetails, and what gear you need to do that--and what gear you DON'T need!

Many reloaders start because of the possible savings (so did I) and they are there, but most stay in the game because of the versatility it gives you--you're not tied to only factory loads, and you can tailor your ammo to suit your individual rifle.

Check the sticky @ the top of this department for a list of needed equipment--no need to re-list that.

As to time consumed making ammo: Well, it IS time-consuming, especially @ first, before you're sure of yourself. And your should NEVER proceed faster than you can with complete regard for safety. Exactly how long it takes to produce X number of rounds will vary with what equipment you're using, your familiarity with that equipment, whether you have an established load from which to work, etc, etc. Suffice it to say that there are many variables, and that speed is not a major consideration in home ammo production.

But the feeling that you'll get when you take that first box of home-brew ammo to the range and shoot it, and they all went bang and I made 'em all myself--now that, my friend, is really something!

So--welcome to The Magnificent Obsession--Reloading! Get ye the ABC's and start studying!

--Smokey Joe
Old August 3, 2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Daniel BOON

well since u asked

to me its about tuning the firearm to the particular need; one load for deer, say 150 grain. and one load for elk, say 180gr. now u have to find a good powder that will squeeze the max out of the load. have you looked at a powder shelf at the local gun store? theres no end. then the primer, then the brass. bored with 30-30? get an '06 its the same drill.......endless.
we'll skip the pistol/revolver because that is endless also
the fact is, if your going to shoot your 30-30 once a yr, buy a box of ammo for 12 bucks, sight it in, then put it away, don't bother reloading. but should you decide to take the plunge, put 300 bucks or more together and have a blast. everything u need to know about reloading is in the front pages of almost any reload manual, or you can get good info right here on this forum. old guys love the newbies, so don't be afraid to ask.
one more thing to remember, you get what you pay for.
Old August 3, 2007, 05:01 PM   #4
Bullet94

Quote:
Birdville2011
I have never reloaded before but have heard it can be money saving. is this true
I have found that I can load my own for less money than buying factory ammo, but I don’t save any money doing this. I just get more ammo, more shooting and more fun.

Smokey Joe excellent post.
Old August 5, 2007, 11:50 PM   #5
FM12

At my age, reloading is the most fun I have without laughing! It's a wonderful hobby. You'll like it...but do start with the ABCs of Reloading and at least one good manual, like the new Speer # 14. Enjoy!!