The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 1, 2005, 09:16 PM   #1
impact

Buddy of mine just killed a big hog!

A buddy of mine who lives and does guid work south of Victoria went out on a hog hunt with dogs. They use pits and catahoulas and run in when the dogs have the hog on the ground and stab it with a knife. He said he run in and jumped on a hog that scared him. He said the hog went 425lbs and one tusk was 6 1/4 inches long. I think the state record is 6 3/8s. Two of the catahoulas took 60 something stiches and one had to have it's guts put back in before they stiched him back up.

A while back he asked me if I wanted to go on one of these hogs hunts. I almost said yes. Now I know I'm going to stay with my guns.
Old July 1, 2005, 09:22 PM   #2
butch50

Your friend must be a serious adrenaline junkie! Good guy to have at your back in a bar fight.

My idea of hog hunting wouldn't involve a knife until it was field dressing time.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old July 1, 2005, 09:59 PM   #3
PSE

i like to rush in while the jacks have em and pop em in the noggin w/ a cue ball in a sock. the while hes out i carve a little Z in his forhead. in memory of lt. caley.
Old July 2, 2005, 04:37 AM   #4
LAK

Pigsticking with knives goes back to the 1800s at least. That and spearing them seems to have been popular with the British in places like India and Africa etc.
Old July 2, 2005, 08:24 AM   #5
PSE

the american feral hog and split hair russian sub breed of wild pigs in ONLY taken properly afoot w/ pike or knife and mounted w/ the lance.
Old July 5, 2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Jseime

ha

thats nuts. who in their right mind does this. if i wanna risk my life ill just get into a bar fight so that an ambulance is close by and no dogs are put at risk.
Old July 5, 2005, 08:14 PM   #7
impact

ha

thats nuts. who in their right mind does this. if i wanna risk my life ill just get into a bar fight so that an ambulance is close by and no dogs are put at risk. unquote

Different strokes for different folks! Thats just the way some people have fun.
Old July 5, 2005, 09:05 PM   #8
siotwo

hog dog

I knew one ol'boy that ran hogs with dogs....yeah, the guys that do this can be as wild as their dogs. He said the "catch-dog" grabs the hog by the ears...and then they jump/tackle the hog to bring home and train the "bay dogs"

Bay em up CUZ!

they make jackets for the dogs to help protect from the tusks.

TOO WILD
Old July 5, 2005, 10:07 PM   #9
Springer45

Are you sure you aren't describing a SEAL initiation? Or perhaps an ancient pagan ritual? But, come to think of it, there are striking similarities to my wife's family reunion two weeks ago...were there prizes involved??

Texas is a different country, with a different language. I barely understood what y'all just said, and I'm pretty fluent in English, being 8th generation American and all.

Rock on, Texas!
Old July 7, 2005, 02:47 AM   #10
LAK

The Selous Scouts (Former Rhodesian unit) as part of training had the following small hurdle. After a considerable period of very meagre ration, a baboon was shot and hung in a tree - for several days. This was cooked (boiled to kill all dangerous bacteria) and was to be the only dinner for another period.

Me, I'd take a knife to a live hog so I could eat it - freshly cooked - as opposed to the baboon aquired and prepared the other way.
Old July 8, 2005, 08:44 AM   #11
PSE

sorry, i draw the line at opposable thumbs. everything else is dinner.