The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 18, 2005, 02:14 AM   #51
RCPractitioner

Quote:
Please don't shoot jack rabbits w/ incendiaries in dry pastures. (In W. Texas that's always).
Lesson Learned!
Old March 19, 2005, 07:27 AM   #52
Rojoe67

Sicily - wild game (so to speak)

While on a field training exercise near Vizzini, Sicily a buddy and myself were conducting a little mini recon of an area. Sort of a hunting trip for a good defensive position type thing..... while we were on this so called hunt out of the blue a white wild horse came charging at us. I bet it was one heck of a sight to see. Well, the horse circled twice as to show us he was bigger and faster and apparently much smarter than the two of us. He kept us pinned down for 20 minutes. He trotted off and could be heard laughing all the way back to Comiso (our base). When we got back we reported to our commander. He looked at us and fell on the floor laughing. He later admitted that same damn horse had stopped him in his Hummer and blocked the trail he was trying to drive down. This wild white horse sorta became our mascot although we never saw it again.....

Sorry this is a bit off track just thought it would be worth a laugh for everyone.....
Old March 19, 2005, 08:11 AM   #53
Dogjaw

I deer hunt in the western Michigan U.P. I personally don't think wolves are cool. Deer in the area I hunt have been decimated by wolves in the area. Anyway.......
I was sitting on the ground against a tree watching a deer run at last shooting light. I always stay put till it's dark. I was about to get up and call it a day when I heard leaves crunching and saw movement. A wolf was doing a slow trot down the deer trail. He moved off to my right about 20 yards and stopped just out of my sight. It took me about 20 seconds to think to myself... "self, it's now dark, a wolf has stopped 20 yards away, you can't see him, you sitting on your ass on the ground, you have deer scent on ." .......... Well my pistol came out of the holster and I got up! That 30 minute walk though the pitch black woods to the truck seemed to take forever.
3) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves..........
Old March 21, 2005, 01:42 PM   #54
deerhunter17

The coolest thing I have ever seen while hunting was 3 bobcats. I was siting in the Wisconsin Rifle seasone, I had 3 bobcats walk about 15 yards from my stand. I could not belive it. They crossed the logging road, and went in some tall grass. I never heard or saw them after that. I will probaly never seen that again while hunting in a life time.
Old April 11, 2005, 10:22 AM   #55
FirstFreedom

hee

Saturday morning...put 2 turkey decoys down....got in blind....5 minutes later, I see movement, but it's not turkeys. A bobcat is stalking my decoys. He sneaks up behind them slowly, then stops just 3-4 feet behind them, tail twitching. He never pounces though - he could tell something wasn't right. He turned and left.
Old April 11, 2005, 12:21 PM   #56
willsjeep

Several years ago I saw two bucks that had been fighting. They had locked horns and evidently had been that way for a while. One was down and the other one was barely standing.
I watched the one standing try to drag the other one around for a while. At that time our limit was one buck, so I shot the one standing (I thought the other one was dead, had not seen it move any at all). When he fell the other "dead deer" jerked around and came loose, stood up, shook and left for better places.
When I got to the deer, I found that he had broken part of his rack when he got loose.
I was only 13 at the time, so it seemed pretty special at the time. I often wonder what happened to that other buck, Hope he made it.
Old April 12, 2005, 11:50 AM   #57
VirgilCaine

I was bow hunting in early october last year and was getting bugged by a very persistent Deer Fly (oh the irony). I had a ham sandwhich with me and decided to eat half of it. When i put the uneaten half back in the plastic bag the Deer fly buzzed into it. I thought "ha, gotcha sucker" and put the bag back into my pack. A few hours later, i went for the other half of my sandwhich, opened the plastic bag, and out flu the fly with a big match head sized piece of ham in it's mouth and took off with it! I was stunned.
Old April 16, 2005, 01:25 PM   #58
Huntergirl

2 Things that were most interesting while hunting. Once while I was sitting near the convergence of game trails while deer hunting, a cow elk with a calf came right up the trail along with a huge bull elk trying to mount her. They were within 6ft from me before they noticed me.
Another time, while I was sitting at the edge of a hollow, elk hunting, a wounded cow elk came down a heavy pine ridge with a cougar in quick pursuit. The cougar got his meal.
Old April 18, 2005, 09:13 AM   #59
FirstFreedom

Wow, huntress....Where?
Old April 29, 2005, 02:45 AM   #60
Fat White Boy

I was wild boar hunting on Tejon Ranch about 20 miles north of downtown LA. I was walking down a trail when on another trail 20 feet below me, a cow elk trotted out of the bush. I watched her for about a minute. She still didn't know I was there so I whistled. She jumped straight up in the air and hit the ground running...I know, I know. Pigs and elk 20 miles from downtown LA? Google Tejon Ranch hunting...For real...BTW- I got a 175 pound sow that was gray with black spots...
Old May 1, 2005, 04:03 PM   #61
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

This is a great thread! Hope it continues! Last year my cousin, his wife, and I got a cabin on the Clarion River in Cook Forest, PA to do a little canoeing, fishing for smallies, and all around relaxing. They really wanted to see a wild bear, and I told them the chances were good. The first night we sat around the campfire, had a few beers, and told fish stories. They still wanted to see a bear. I got tired (and a little tipsy) and decided to call it a night. I was just about to turn the lights out when cuz and wife came running into the cabin, slammed the door and commenced to close all the windows. I got up to see what was going on, looked out the window and saw a bear wandering around the cabin site. I looked over at cuz and said "I thought you wanted to see a bear". Sheesh. City people.

Several years prior in the same cabin, same cuz, another fishing buddy, and I were sitting around a campfire throwing marshmallows to an unusually bold raccoon. Cuz threw one about 6 feet from us and at the same time the 'coon went for it, a skunk came out of the shadows and went for it too. The two had a bit of a disagreement over ownership and we all thought we were going to get sprayed, but in spite of all the spitting and hissing and posturing, the skunk never did spray (but he did get the marshmallow)

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old May 2, 2005, 10:57 AM   #62
FirstFreedom

Not too exciting, but this weekend I saw 2 crows chasing and harassing an owl, hot on its tail. I'd heard that crows and owls fight, but never witnessed this.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:00 PM   #63
MeekAndMild

I saw a pileated woodpecker last month. It wasn't an ivory bill but it was still pretty big!
Old May 4, 2005, 12:50 PM   #64
MEDDAC19

This is an old thread but still seems to get attention. Saw a brown water snake trying to eat a large toad. The snake had the toad's head in it's mouth but that was all. Looked so much like the posters of the hang in there vein I could not keep from laughing. Finally, after I calmed down I felt sorry for the toad and released it. The toad jumped out of the stream and the snake swam off, no doubt hungry and angry with my intervention.

Ohio Annie. The Texas Parks and Wildlife did a DNA study of the mountain Lion and they said! that the mountain lion does not have the DNA to make a black lion. I think the DNA missing made a pigment called melanin which make animals black.

When an animal has no melanin it is an albino.
Old May 4, 2005, 01:10 PM   #65
BigBoreKindaGuy

Interesting thing she saw.......

Here's one literally involving me...

Got permission from a friend to deer hunt on his sister's farm land. At 5:00 AM in the dead of dark morning I pull my truck up in 2 feet of snow into her farm yard to park. I am in my one-piece hunting jump-suit. All of a sudden I have to take an emergency dump. Can't go in her house because its too early to wake her up.

So I take off my hunting boots and jump-suit and I am stark naked in the freezing cold. I proceed to squat and pooch my as* out while I hang onto the pickup truck bed wall. As I start of do my thing her stupid dog wakes up and decides to start howling up a storm. All of a sudden a flood light goes on and she opens the front door and is looking out to see why the dog is howling up a storm. There I am...stark naked...in her front yard....squat and pooched out with my backside facing her.

I look over my shoulder...she proceeds to start laughing up a storm and closes the door.

I forgot toilet paper so I proceed to use snow and newspaper to clean off. Meanwhile some dumb stupid chickens start running up to see if anything is edible. :barf:

The next day I hear about it at work from my friend about some stupid dumbas* his sister caught naked in her front yard.

Just a terrible way to start a morning of hunting. Terrible.......
Old May 4, 2005, 07:21 PM   #66
MassHunter2190

BigBore-
One time I took a crap right under someone that was in there deerstand without knowing it. I heard a whistling noise and looked up to see a really pissed guy staring at me. woops...
Old May 4, 2005, 07:39 PM   #67
Rojoe67

Thanks.......

Thanks for 65 add ons to original........... This is great fun and hope you keep them coming.......... Regards......Rojoe67

Took the kids to a little lake at the other end of our neighborhood. We put the canoe in and paddled down to the far end. We got under a big Willow tree. My little girl (8) was relaxing leaning back and we were softly talking about the geese we were watching just then a large Carp jumped right out of the water into the canoe........My poor little girl almost died of total heart attack that instant. I ain't going to lie it surprised the heck out of me even though I knew we were in the shallow Carp end of the lake........If I had a camera I was laughing to hard to catch a breath to snap a photo.....
Old May 4, 2005, 08:11 PM   #68
FirstFreedom

BigBore and Mass, I guess that would be filed under "Interesting Things OTHER PEOPLE Have Seen While Were Hunting."
Old May 11, 2005, 02:54 PM   #69
HOKIEHUNTER

I hate squirrels. When I first started hunting, every moving sound i heard in the woods was "a deer." I'd get excited, my heart would race, and after about 20-30 of hearing the noise but not being able to see (i hunt in pretty dense woods) the source, the little bastard would pop out and "burst my bubble." This ticked me off for a while and caused me to miss a quiet deer walking behind me on several occasions b/c i was so tuned into the racket the squirrel was making. I'm sure some of you were in the same situation when you first started hunting.

I say that b/c this past bow season the little jerks got me again. I was sitting in a stand looking down a game trail that I knew the deer walked up at night. This is a great spot and I've seen some big bucks here, but always when scouting and not during the season. Well my stand faced what looked to be a dying / almost dead tree about 30 yards ahead of me. I was facing this dead tree and the light was fading, I saw a squirrel pop out of a hole at the top of the tree, bark for a min., and then jump on to other branches. about 30 seconds later another squirrel jumped out the same hole, barked and ran off down another branch. While I was sitting there I counted 21 squirrels come out of the same hole in the same dead tree. i kinda chuckled around about the 16 squirrel or so and noticed something moving on the ground out of the corner of my eye. I looked down and an eight pointer that had been sneaking up the side of the ridge had a bead on me. I was standing up since it was getting late and had my bow resting on the stand, and as soon as i moved to raise my bow, he bolted on back down the ridge. I've yet to take a decent buck esp with a bow.
Old June 16, 2005, 06:40 AM   #70
big daddy 9mm

I went hunting once

for deer with about 4 friend that were hunting fanatics and I was in a tree house that was designed for deer hunting and I was just looking around from up there about 25 feet up and I here all this rucis right below me and I keep looking and I see nothing andI am geeting freaked out because I am paranoid when I am in the woods, any way this rustleing gets closer and suddenly I see two mice chasing each other, I was like [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]! all this noise out of two mice! I was relieved.
Old June 16, 2005, 10:45 PM   #71
Big Yac

last year during deer gun season here in east central Ohio a friend and I had a wolf (yes a wolf, not a coyote) come within several feet of us. We both had our guns up but when I yelled at it it went running. Nobody believes us yet. I still wonder if I should have shot it just to show everyone. The problem is, then I would have killed off something rare in our area or even state.
Old June 16, 2005, 11:58 PM   #72
CarbineCaleb

FL Critters

I was down in the FL Keys on vacation and decided to see what life I could find - knew that the critters would like to be in cover underwater just as on land, and waded out into a gently sloping grassy stretch about 100 yards and was standing in thigh deep water, not 5 minutes out there when I saw a large black thing tip up out of the water - about 25 feet away... a few seconds later I saw white spots all over a broad black back (maybe 8 feet across) and I knew it was a spotted ray. I just stood still and let him come to me and he fed within about 15 feet! He was beautiful, and just incredibly graceful. Later on saw one of the same size when we rented a boat jump clean out of the water - fantastic!
Old June 17, 2005, 02:31 AM   #73
guntotin_fool

have had nuthatches land on me and one on the bill of my hat and then lean over and look me right in the eye.

was coyote hunting once and was blowing the dying rabbit squeal while lying in a ground blind and had a coyote jump me from the backside we both just screamed and he took off like lightning. he never bit me just yelped and ran.

was hunting with my brother a few years ago when the rage was fully camo'ed up rifles. We had crossed the road from our land to county land and were walking along looking for one his son had shot earlier but had run off. All of a sudden my brother got real still and was looking around like something was off. I had my gun at ready and was ready to ask him what was up when he walked up and picked up a rifle leaning against a tree. He was looking at it and then I smelled a horrible smell and notice a poop pile and some toilet paper at the base of another tree. As we looked around we noticed a whole lot of turmoil had taken place as the hunter had walked from poop pile to tree to tree in a growing circle. While we are not CSI we figured mr hunter had felt the need while walkin and in a hurry had leaned the rifle against the tree and then found a tree to lean on for support while answering natures call. in his haste, and the pile suggested much haste had been needed, he had forgotten which tree he had leaned his gun against. My brother took out one of his business cards and stuck it on a twig above the poop site and off we went in seach of the wounded deer. we never did get a call about the rifle. and we still call it the poopie gun.
Old June 17, 2005, 11:31 AM   #74

poopy gun, that's too funny!

I was hunting deer once with two friends. It was raining. I saw a beat-up old row boat that someone had dragged out into the forest. I decided I would make my way over to it. It was over-turned, with part of it leaning on a tree stump or something. I was slowly creeping through the forest so I wouldn't make any extra noise. I got right up to the boat and...ZOOM!!, out comes a red fox bolting away. It was so close, I could have almost touched it. I almost had poopy pants after that!

Ronald Reagan
Old June 23, 2005, 12:27 PM   #75
Bosshoff

I was bow hunting out of a HUGE oak tree. I was standing on a limb about 18 feet up in the air, with my back to the tree trunk. I was in full camo w/ facemask. Out of the corner of my eye I saw motion and speed. It happened so fast, I did not even react or flinch. A Huge batman-eared Great Horned Owl landed on the same branch about ten feet away from me. He came in like a football, and just slammed on the brakes with both wings. Wow, was that fantastic. He was there about ten minutes, during which he never saw me. I started to make a barely audible click noise, and he would twist his neck all the way around and look right at me. He would then bob his head maybe trying to get me to react. After about four or five "clicks" from me, he took off thinking the tree was haunted. He got up, dropped to ground level, and swooped right accross the bean field I was hunting. Definitely the coolest thing I have encountered in the woods