The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 28, 2012, 11:11 AM   #26
chuckee

I would really would have to think long and hard to buy that brand today.
Old July 29, 2012, 04:49 PM   #27
artoo

Have an older 85CH that is 30 years old and still going strong. it is not +P rated. Got around that by using Nyclad 125gr. round nosed lead hollowpoint. It has a real excellent world track record.

Buffalo Bore makes several effective standard pressure rounds that have +P velocity but not the +P pressures. Stay away from the hard cast rounds.
Old July 30, 2012, 09:58 AM   #28
bikerbill

I've had a blue steel 85 for about 20 or so years, it was my first handgun purchase ... still works perfectly, rides in my glovebox when I'm not carrying for whatever reason ... think I paid a little over $300 for it, your price sounds good if it's in good shape ...
Old July 30, 2012, 12:51 PM   #29
Budda

I have an 85 .38 taurus for ccw on my hip right now.....it looks good and goes bang when I pull the trigger. I trust my life on it.....now for taurus Semi autos?? Other than the berrretta clone 92/99 DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME!!!
Old July 30, 2012, 01:47 PM   #30
SamNavy

Academy has Taurus 85UL's for their everyday price of $279 in just about every store I've ever been in... you're OTD for a pinch over $300. I own one and it's been flawless through 300rds of white-box FMJ and JHP.

I see them for sale regularly in the classifieds of every forum I frequent... seller is usually trading "up" for pistol or merely thinning their herd. I bought mine for the wife and she decided she hates guns after all, so I carried it for a few months, and now mine is for sale also. It's 5 months old and comes with 200rds of ammo and an Uncle Mikes, I've had multiple offers of $280 cash... just waiting for somebody here in town who will meet me FTF. I'm just mentioning this for info, not to advertise it.

I personally don't find the aesthetic beauty in blue'd revolvers, but for $200, you're getting a good value assuming the gun is in very good shape.
Old August 2, 2012, 09:36 AM   #31
microman

Quote:
Academy has Taurus 85UL's for their everyday price of $279 in just about every store I've ever been in...
Someone already beat me too it. Think I would just pony up and get a new
one for the extra $79 dollars. In fact you can get the .357 version for just a
wee bit more. It will hold 6 rounds. Look up Rossi model 461
Old August 2, 2012, 09:53 PM   #32
pete2

I would want to run 100 rounds thru it before buying it. They work about 50% of the time. If you get a good on it's good, if not it's still yours. I sold guns for about 4 yrs. We had a lot of them brought back due to problems. Taurus will repair them under warranty but who likes new guns that don't work? I have a Rossi that's never missed a lick, shoots good as a Smith but I don't shoot it very much, I've seen too many Rossi's that are loosey goosey after a few miles. I wouldn't expect it to hold up under a lot of shooting. Stay with Ruger or S&W.
Old August 2, 2012, 10:28 PM   #33
warningshot

Some people may trust their lives to Taurus

Not a single United States Police or Sheriff's Department or any U.S. LE agency I know of trusts, or has ever trusted Taurus, enough to protect the lives of their officers or citizens.

In my day we called that a, 'Clue'.
Old August 3, 2012, 12:20 AM   #34
artoo

The 85 is a fine revolver.

It's THE bread and butter gun for decades with Taurus.

Massad Ayoob,Chuck Karwan, and another author for decades of Gun Digest Completer Book of Combat Handgunnery, recommended the 85 for those on a budget.

In Marshall and Sanow's books,Massad Ayoob books,and other police journals and tactical magazines the 85 is either documented as being carried as a back up gun and used to save lives. Several ex-police now gun writers, for American Hangunner,carry the 85 or have.

The idea is to use the checklist from here.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=57816

Then use it to look at whatever model gun you will by and you cannot go wrong. Actually go to different stores and actually rent or try out what it is you want to buy. If they pass the user test and fill your needs then go for it.

If you go with something else,fine.

The Taurus 856 has the sixth shot and is built on the 85 frame. Gander Mountain has Specials on it.

The Rossi 462 is also the 6 shooter as already stated.

Even Charter Arms or EAA Windicator can work.

If not:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=403035
Old August 3, 2012, 02:53 AM   #35
warningshot

I have taken two MA classes

Not once did he mention carrying a tarus or recommend one. Maybe I missed that one. None of the other students was using a tarus in the class, no one ever mentioned packing a tarus. The only time I see a tarus is in the gunwriter's hand is in an advertisement.

I don't recall MA using a tarus at the Bianchi Cup? Of the thousands of shooting competitors...who...shoots...tarus?
Old August 3, 2012, 06:42 AM   #36
fdreano

Well as I mentioned in another thread...my nearly new Ruger LCR went back for repairs after locking up during a dry fire session, my $1,200 Kimber .45 auto was sent back due to stovepipe/extraction issues and my little Taurus 851 just keeps on truckin'. It's lock up is as good as most S&Ws and the trigger is fine for me....
Old August 3, 2012, 03:19 PM   #37
Dave Chuppa

Take it to a Range. Put 200 rounds through it. If it works good for you, make him an offer.
Old August 4, 2012, 02:23 AM   #38
warningshot

Sorry to hear that, freado.

I neither recommended a LCR nor anything made by Kimber. I hope your taurus holds-up a long time.
Old August 4, 2012, 05:55 AM   #39
fdreano

The LCR is fine now but I'm more careful with my technique. I replaced the extractor, slide stop and magazines on the Kimber with Wilson "bulletproof" parts and it's a nail driving, non-stop shooter now with any ammo.

The point is ALL these manufacturers have warranty repair facilities so they all have problems with some percentage of new weapons. I'm hardly a Taurus zealot but it's amazing on these boards how there is so much Taurus bashing and then people lining up to buy the Taurus Judge models just because they are a novelty.
Old August 5, 2012, 12:19 AM   #40
warningshot

Some percentages are greater than others. Good luck.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:27 PM   #41
Ruby1268

Taurus 85

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI8WyiAIROM&feature=plcp

Check out this guy's review... he did a good job, very informative ...

I bought this gun on July 4th for exactly $200 just like the poster.

Taurus revolvers are made in Brazil, and the company is in Miami.

The feel of the gun is excellent. The gun I bought it off of is ex-navy.

He told me that his father had this gun for years and never used it.

He told me, and I believe him that he took the gun to the range and shot

a box of Remington 130 grain through it and said the gun was dead on.

He cleaned it well, but I wanted to clean it and check it out a bit more.

So I took it apart and the gun on the inside was like new. On the outside

there was not one scratch anywhere, and this is an old gun.

Left him a couple of notes on his video....

I called Susy at the tech department at Taurus she said she carries the

exact same gun, however she really did not provide me the "informed info"

you would expect from a tech.

Best bet is customer service, which I found to be

excellent. As I posted ...

"Took face plate off, oiled the parts with Break-free, touch of Mobil One synthetic oil on trigger action using toothpick to smooth out action. Cylinder Stop Plunger with Spring appeared defective (lost it ha ha) Called Taurus they sent the plunger and included 5-20880 short rubber grip as courtesy. Walnut wood grip now on E-bay for $40. Great customer service.

I ordered ONE box of Magtech GUARDIAN GOLD 38 +P self defense rounds from Palmetto State Armory I received TWO boxes only charged for one $12 INCLUDING SHIPPING, must be Karma .. Magtech manufactures quality bullets in Brazil. Now I have a Brazilian gun with matching Brazilian bullets.

The original grip is real walnut ... very nice and on E-bay in great condition they go for $40, new one would probably be over $60.

The two inch rubber grip .. provided FREE by Taurus customer service, with the shipment of the stop plunger, was the icing on the cake. The gun is small black and beefy .. nothing like a Ultra-Lite. It just looks so black and evil
and the 2 inch short grip rubber grip adds a lot to the look of the gun makes it easy to conceal.

This is a short range weapon, however I believe that with time and
some practice the guy in the Video would have hit the target at 25 feet
with no problem.

The prices of used guns are really out of control. If you check around people are selling used nasty .. rusty revolvers for $280 to $400, especially Smith and Wessons.

The Taurus I have and the poster has is a Brazilian Smith and Wesson. I have searched the Net and I have found very little negative information regarding Taurus revolvers, most of the comments here are positive and I
owned a four inch .22 magnum 8 shot Taurus revolver before (also paid $200 for it) and that gun could hit targets more than a block away with dead on accuracy.

There are Taurus haters out there, but they just say they don't like Taurus and usually provide no explanation as to why they feel that way? Probably because they paid over double for a Smith and Wesson and have the need to put down Taurus to justify their waste of money.

Personally I would shy away from a Taurus automatics, because I don't like automatics and if I needed one ... well I would get a Glock, but revolvers are different.

As someone aptly said ... "revolvers are like forks, they work the first time and they work the same way each time."
Old August 8, 2012, 12:42 PM   #42
dahermit

Quote:
Not a single United States Police or Sheriff's Department or any U.S. LE agency I know of trusts, or has ever trusted Taurus, enough to protect the lives of their officers or citizens.
In my day we called that a, 'Clue'.
In my day, we called that a, "fallacy of appeal to authority".
I have had problems with S&W's, and Colt's. However, my Stainless Model 85 has been without any mechanical problems. No matter what brand name of gun you buy, you's pays your dollar and you takes your chances.
Old August 9, 2012, 05:09 PM   #43
Ruby1268

Taurus 85

Just a note of interest ...

The average price for a used Taurus 5 shot in good condition appears to be

to be $280. I think I got my money's worth for $200 (plus I believe I can

sell the Walnut grips for around $40 making the actual price $160). SW small

revolvers are in the $350 to $400 range, lots of police and security company

turn ins out there (not snub nosed five shots revolvers). I have seen some

SW snub nosed revolvers that have been used and abused, the action is a

hard pull, indicating that the internal workings might have residue inside and

the finish is marked (stainless) or scratched. The asking price for these guns

seems to be a flat $400.

There might be a reason why a Taurus has survived 15 .. 20 .. 30 years,

and works fine , and you can get one for a fair price.

How someone can ask $400 for a SW in rough shape is beyond me?

But what really has caught my attention is the HUGE mark ups on the

cheap automatics sold second hand.

No one in their right mind would engage in a fire fight with a five shot

two inch revolver ... but a cheap automatic comes in handy for that.

Well you can guess the answer to this riddle ... used automatics have

a mark up because private sellers might just take cash for them and not

really mess around with paperwork.

The guy who sold me my revolver had me fill out a bill of sale and wrote

down my my license.

After the cash was in his hands, he told me he prefers automatics

and kinda gave me a look like I was a Nancy boy for wanting his dead daddy's

old revolver. Hey it was July 4th .. he needed the money and I needed

a pocket gun ..
Old August 9, 2012, 09:14 PM   #44
shep854

I had a couple of Taurus 85s, back in the '90s and found them to be good, serviceable guns. I traded them off, not because of a problem with them, but I saw other guns I wanted. I would feel very adequately armed with one.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:41 PM   #45
kinggabby

Taurus makes really good revolvers. I have the 617 snub .357 holds 7 shots. Great gun. Would not hesitate getting another revolver from Taurus if I had the money. They have several that I want.
Old September 7, 2012, 06:48 PM   #46
brazosdave

I used to have a 85 and I loved it! I have a Taurus .357 now, and I bought my wife a .38spl ultralite for her birthday in 2006. Both guns get a lot of working out at the range, and never had any problems. I would definitely buy a Taurus again, at least a revolver. No experience with their semi-auto's. And the Taurus-Rossi ranch rifle is just way to similar to Steve McQueen's "Mares Laig" as to not make me drool over it, lol! I believe I will definitley be picking one of those up, although it is classified as a pistol, I think I will have a hard time convincing the range control guys at Ft. Hood to let me shoot at the pistol targets with it.