The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2007, 01:11 PM   #1
Sevens

powder choice/.44 Magnum

A friend has asked me to build him some .44 mag reloads from his brass. He does not reload and doesn't want to get in to the hobby, but he'd like me to help him out because he's grown weary of $30 per box of 50 at the gun store.

I figure that I'd buy the dies to add to my collection of tools, and I'd let him purchase the projectiles, then I'd pass along the cost of powder and primers on to him. I'm not going to profit from this venture, I just want to help him out with a few boxes every so often.

Here's my question: While I realize that everyone has their pet load and favorite recipes, I'd really rather keep my (ever growing) collection of different powders at bay. So I'd like to know if anyone regularly builds .44 mag loads (jacketed bullets from 180 to 240 grains) using the powders I already have in stock:

IMR 4227, Bullseye, Green Dot, Unique

Of course, I will go ahead and buy another different powder if none of these are decently suitable, but I'd really like to hear from anyone who has experience with the .44 mag for some tips. If it matters, I also load .38, .357, 10mm and .45, if you should try to push me in to another powder... hopefully I could effectively use it in one of those calibers, too.

Also, this would be the biggest round I've ever loaded for -- so I'm wondering if I really need to pay special attention to the crimp I give them, given the massive recoil you can expect from a .44 mag. Standard roll crimp? Taper crimp? Factory crimp die?

These will be fired exclusively from a fairly new S&W model 629 with the longer-than-6" barrel. (8 3/8" ?)

ANY help or suggestions will be monumentally appreciated -- and passed along to help another shooter!
Old August 1, 2007, 01:25 PM   #2
LHB1

Sevens,
Personally I will NOT load ammo for another person because of the legal liability. And certainly do NOT SELL your handloaded ammo unless you have procured a license as an ammunition manufacturer. It might be safer to let your friend buy his own reloading components and use your reloading press to load his own ammunition. Perhaps someone with legal background can tell us if that still entails legal liability on your part if he has a problem.

Q: Does he want mid-range/field loads or full power loads? I use AA #5 for my mid-range/field loads and Win 296 for full power hunting loads.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

Last edited by LHB1; August 1, 2007 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Major typo correction on Win powder. S/B Win 296.
Old August 1, 2007, 01:42 PM   #3
DMZX

I agree with LHB1 in regards to reloading for others. Don't pass up an opportunity to introduce your friend to a whole different field of the sport. Plus you will have someone to BS with about loads/bullets/powder/etc. Buy the dies and invite him over for a mini-clinic.

I use Unique for mid-range loads in the .44 mag and either 2400 or IMR 4227 for the warmer stuff.
Old August 1, 2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Scorch

I use:
Cast bullets over Unique for target loads for both my 357 and 44 Mag.
Jacketed over Blue Dot for hot ones for 357 and 44 Mag. If you don't want to add another powder, 4227 will work well.

Just roll crimp them, no special treatment for the supposed massive, bone-crushing, wrist-wrenching recoil.
Old August 1, 2007, 03:14 PM   #5
FM12

H110 or WW296, but ONLY with max loads, magnum primers, heavy bullets and heavy crimps. Excellent accuracy and velocities, with lower pressures, and at least for me, less felt recoil. The recoil is more like a push rather than a sharp punch.

Use Bullseye or Unique for lead bullets.

Dont load for him, make him help. It's a slippery slope when you do all the work!
Old August 1, 2007, 05:43 PM   #6
caz223

Alliant 2400.
H110 is good for full throttle loads, but somewhat less forgiving to work with.
Old August 1, 2007, 06:02 PM   #7
DIXIEDOG

The IMR 4227 will work if you don't want to expand your powder inventory but I have always had better success using Alliant 2400 for .44 magnum. The groups always seem to look better and my SD is always smaller.
Old August 1, 2007, 06:06 PM   #8
nate45

H-110

You can make some nice medium power loads with 2400
15 to 18grs with standard primers. I like the 250 gr KT bullet. Or even go up to 21 or 22grs for a full magnum load.

As others noted the H-110 works best with heavy loads and magnum primers. For example I use a 240gr XTP or Gold Dot over 21grs of H-110 CCI350 magnum primer. It also burns cleaner than 2400.
Old August 1, 2007, 06:28 PM   #9
firechicken

I use Unique for my light 44 Mag loads with lead bullets. Seems to work well with 7-10 grains under a 240gr SWC. For my full power "hunting" loads I use 24.0gr H110 under a Hornady 240gr XTP with a CCI 350 primer. Every time I shoot that load from a rest I get a nice tight group. The last time out I put 10 rounds in 1 1/2" at 25yds.......thats's outstanding for me.
Old August 1, 2007, 06:47 PM   #10
Ammo Junky

If you must have max power H110
for deer and such hs6

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old August 1, 2007, 08:33 PM   #11
caz223

I should point out that you can use H110 and 2400 in .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 mag, and larger magnum caliber like .454, but not really much else, unless you load for magnum shotgun. They're also both good in .22 hornet, of all things....
You can also use blue dot in the magnum calibers, but I personally haven't had the best of luck with it. There will be others who disagree. You can also use blue dot in 10mm with heavy bullets, however it meters like unique.
Old August 1, 2007, 09:30 PM   #12
DIXIEDOG

I should point out that you can use H110 and 2400 in .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 mag, and larger magnum caliber like .454, but not really much else, unless you load for magnum shotgun.

You missed out on the best use of 2400 .30 carbine 12.5 grs of 2400 with a 110 RN FMJ will keep the M1 very happy.
Old August 1, 2007, 09:39 PM   #13
LHB1

WHOA!! Major typo correction in my post above (#2). The correct powder for my full power .44 Mag loads should have been Win 296 and NOT Win 231!

Just goes to show why no one should ever use a recommended load from friend, stranger, or internet unless they can confirm the load from at least one and preferably two commercially published loading manuals.

LB
Old August 2, 2007, 12:45 AM   #14
Sevens

Guys, I really appreciate the help. Also, I hear the warnings about building loads for somebody else, and it's certainly making me give it more thought. I don't think I'm going to convince him to start at the bench himself, but it's definitely something I need to take further in to consideration.

Also, always a good warning to double check load recipes against a powder manufacturer -- I appreciate that it's mentioned out loud, but believe me, I double and triple check any load before I've EVER seated a bullet, and even then I typically do the standard 10% reduction for a short run, and get them out for test-fire before going whole hog on a few boxes of loaded rounds.

Thanks again.
Old August 2, 2007, 01:49 AM   #15
Edward429451

When my buddies want some ammo, I get them over for a clinic and let them hand weigh each charge and pull the handle to seat the bullets, I only set things up and do a few while explaining etc.. If them coming over is not an option for any reason, then they get starting loads only.

To answer the question, 2400 for everything from mild to wild and Unique for medium loads only, and H-110 for full house loads only.
Old August 2, 2007, 07:11 AM   #16
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I've loaded for a couple of my shooting partners before. Mostly just to show them what can be done with home-built cartridges vs. store-bought cartridges.

In one case, 2 of my shooting friends were won over to the "dark side," and are now reloaders. They bought the dies, powder, brass, etc. All I did was work up the loads for them. Once they saw that they could get better accuracy, they were sold. One friend didn't take. I don't load for him anymore.

As for the 44, you already have one of the best powders: IMR 4227. While it won't get quite the punch of a full load of H110, it won't be far behind. For me, it meters better than H110. YMMV.
Old August 2, 2007, 07:12 AM   #17
gandog56

Yeah, God help you if he has a KB using your reloads. He does know he can practice using 44 Specials which are cheaper, right? I use Unique for mid level loads, AA#9 for heavier loads.
Old August 3, 2007, 06:23 PM   #18
100W_Warlock

Reloads...

I am just about to pick up a new 44mag Taurus Raging Bull and was wondering about the same thing.

My situation is a bit different, in that I already have H110, W296 and Alliant 2400.

2400 is my favorite magnum powder, by far. Its not as fast/powerful as W296, which I use for full house loads.

There is no substitute for good technique, no shortcuts.

For a friend, I have/would handload each round one at a time and inspect each loaded case sitting in a loading block with a flashlight to make sure they are not un/over charged. This prevents "KA-BOOMS" and looseing fingers/friends in the process.
Old August 3, 2007, 07:22 PM   #19
LHB1

Note: H110 and Win 296 are the SAME powder, made by one company, and marketed under two different names by Hodgdon and Winchester.

LB
Old August 3, 2007, 08:17 PM   #20
Trapper L

Sevens, have your friend buy the dies, Lee carbide dies are not expensive, and the dies are his for you to keep. Have him buy powder, put his name on the can, for you to keep. Have him buy the bullets, put his name on the box, for you to keep. Then get the brass from the guy, size it and get it ready for primers and powder. Show him how to install the primers and watch him do it. Now sit him down to a scale with powder and have him load ten at a time and seat ten bullets at a time- and watch him. There is no liabilty on your part as the cartridge/components equipment are his. And if I can teach 10 Boy Scouts at one time how reload and have each make ten rounds of ammo including the sizing, you shouldn't have much of a problem with an adult.

I would suggest using a light bullet if he is just going to plink away. I'd suggest a 180gr bullet like a Sierra JHP sitting on top of 12.5grs of Unique. That will get him around 1400'ps which is not a max load but it isn't a sleeper either. It would definitely hunt.
Old August 3, 2007, 09:15 PM   #21
crowbeaner

Sevens: what you REALLY need to do is to teach your friend how to cast bullets and then you can share the work. I spend many hot afternoons in the shade with my old Mag 20 leadpot and a couple of trusty moulds just to get out doors and away from the boob tube. There are many good designs and different weights to choose from, as well as many different mfgs. Look over the catalogs and pick some that will work for different guns you both own to maximize the ammo you can put together. Then if he doesn't want to learn how to reload you can get a couple of coffeecans full to keep for your own use. Enjoy. CB
Old August 4, 2007, 04:31 AM   #22
Sevens

Yes, I think I'm quite capable and duly motivated to teach another the operation... he's just not interested in the hobby. He's not looking at me to be his primary supply of ammo, he'd just like to try a few boxes for less than retail. I understand there's a certain liability in this hobby of ours, but I'm just not really quite that concerned about it. With my already conservative methods and my own (entirely successful and safe) history at the bench, I'm pretty confident that I'm not rolling out little atomic bombs here. Half charges, double charges and mistaken powder is not something that afflicts my work at the press. And I still submit that loading at a casual pace and at single stage is the main reason for this success. I don't rely on luck or good fortune to keep me from bulging barrels and blowing top straps in to shrapnel.

I know that we live in a litigious society these days, but it doesn't keep buddies from work on each other's cars, tossing a meal at 'em or maybe helping them wire up new lights in the garage. So it shall go with a few boxes of .44 ammo.

Casting bullets -- I've kicked over the idea so many times I've lost count! One day many moons in the future I may even kick it over again but for now, I just can't leap head first in to another hobby! Especially one that has me chasing down scrap metal! (everyone who knows me is already convinced I'm the cheapest of the cheap... I can just see me walking down the street with a bucket of scrap lead! )
Old August 4, 2007, 02:46 PM   #23
m-g willy

I get asked all the time by guys at work for reloads after they find out I reload!
Biggest reason I DON'T reload for anyone else is because if they screw up and do something stupid ( like drop gun and dirt fills muzzle and blows up on next shot,miss shot of life time on deer,gun didn't fire because they did their own action job on it or ANYTHING else that could go wrong you can bet it will be because the reloaded ammo was at fault!
Sooo! I f they want to save some money with reloads --they can do what I do -load your own!
That being said-I only need two powders for all my revolver loads 38spl. 357, 44spl. 44mag. 45auto rim 45colt.
Unique and 2400
In the 44mag. I use Unique for loads under 1000fps and 2400 for all loads above that.
I could get along fine with just 2400 but Unique is only about 1/2 the price for reloads as 2400.

Willy
Old August 4, 2007, 02:49 PM   #24
Alleykat

AA#9
Old August 4, 2007, 11:04 PM   #25
Mr Kris

Quote:
I know that we live in a litigious society these days, but it doesn't keep buddies from work on each other's cars, tossing a meal at 'em or maybe helping them wire up new lights in the garage. So it shall go with a few boxes of .44 ammo.
That makes me smile

44 magnum is the first caliber I reloaded, and I've only ever used H110 for full house loads or Universal for light "special in a magnum case" loads. Never had a problem with either.