The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 20, 2002, 05:44 PM   #1
Sisco

Shot patterns & turkey

Took my 870 out today and shot some Rem Premier Magnum turkey loads through a full choke.
at 30yds I got 40 pellets in the kill zone, from 40 I only got 17. Thinking of trying an extra full turkey choke but have heard they can be a disadvantage at closer ranges with their tighter pattern.
Opinions please?
Old February 21, 2002, 04:08 AM   #2
goosegunner

I have a marlin goosegun, and with 91cm barrel and superfull choke it have nice thight patterns. The Rem Premier Magnum turkey shots bring dovn cormorants and goose at 40m, (have never tested them on paper, but federal turkey mag. makes about 70% hit inside 70cm circle and about 2cm between the pellets at 40m) but if you hit something at closer ranges it will be totally overkill (and nothing left to eat)
Old February 22, 2002, 05:53 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I suggest trying out some other loads, each shotgun is a law unto itself when it comes to which load it "Likes".

And, I get better patterns from an Extra Ful choke rather than a custom .675" one, but YMMV.
Old February 22, 2002, 01:44 PM   #4
Sisco

I'd like to try other loads but can't find them locally. Not exactly a turkey hunting mecca around here, only thing Wallyworld has is a vest - no ammo, no calls, no chokes, no nothing.