The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2001, 01:53 PM   #1
Markk9

A few years ago when molly-coated bullets were all the rage I remember reading about coating cast bullets to help with barrel leading. I just started loading for the 9mm and 40 S&W. Would molly-coating reduce leading in these caliber with the velocity over 1000 fps.

Markk9
Old February 19, 2001, 05:23 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

MOLY COATED CAST BEWLETS

YES, in all probability moly coating will reduce leading in your pistols. The BULL-X company makes their CSJ lead molycoated bullets and they've shot clean as a whistle for me in bigbore sixguns.
But, a BIG but, now you'll have a barrel full of moly heat blasted into your barrel and it is a veritable SOB to clean out...or I just did not know how to do so effectively and quickly. TM
Old February 19, 2001, 05:48 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

This was posted on the art of the rifle 2=10-1001 by Hot Core...........tremendous write up on moly coating. Primarily aimed at jacketed rifle bullets but worth the long read just to get a handle on the process.

Also has good info on cleaning.

http://www.precisionshooting.com/aug98.html

Sam.....my favorite 9mm is the 9X19R