The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 15, 2012, 06:14 PM   #1
Blindjim

Illuminated Scopes for Bad eyes 150 yds +/-.40SW carbine

Hello folks!!

I haven't had a scope since I was 13. it was not illuminated but it was illuminating.

I want to get an illuminated scope, but am not sure where I’ll be getting the best value, and I feel I’m going to need a green retical. Or red circle. A red dot likely won’t be much help to these eyes. I’m pretty sure it’s gotta be electronically lit up too.

Neither am I sure about what power (magnifycation) I’ll need as the numbers just confuse me. I don’t recall which is the magnifier, field, tube, lens dia. etc., so some one please shed some light on this subject for me?

I’m thinking $250 - $300… less if possible. Pre-owned is OK too.

Any ideas of what I should be looking for… or looking at? Buruss, Millet? Leatherwood? Aim Point? Nikon? Hasbro? Matell? Weaver? Hubbel?

I want to be able to cover my property and then some. 180ft does that.

I also want to be able to fend off intruders inside my home, and the occasional & outright annoying members of the undead.. as we all know, they require a direct insertion of a pill into their brains. . So accuracy speed, and low light operation is important.

What I want is likely way more $$$ but how close can I get for the funds in my budget?

Thanks a ton.
Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

.... for me, life becomes less and less shocking with every pull of the trigger.
Old August 16, 2012, 12:15 PM   #2
SSA

A 3-9X40 scope has variable magnification from 3 to 9 times, and a 40 mm objective lens.
Generally:
For quick, short distance use, you want low magnification.
For aimed fire at longer distances in darker conditions, you want a larger objective.

A quick check at Natchez Shooters Supply turned up the following options.
Weaver 1.5-4.5X24 Classic Extreme Riflescope Ill. German #4 Reticle Matte
Weaver 2.5-10X50 Classic Extreme Riflescope Ill. German #4 Reticle Matte
Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield 30 European Riflescope 3P#4 LRS Electro-Dot Reticle Gloss
Burris Fullfield TAC30 1-4x24 Tactical Scope Illuminated Ballistic CQ 5.56 Reticle Matte

I haven't used any of these scopes, but I have used other Burris and Weaver models. Any of these scopes is likely to work very well, and will be a big change from iron sights.
Old August 16, 2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Blindjim

SSA

10-4! Thanks loads. natchez huh? Thought all they sold was ammo. Hmmm.

I'm currently using a Green Laser, and/or a 450 lumen LED.

I want to slip the laser onto the side rail, and puyt a lit scope in it's place.

At night, about my place there's scant little light. I can see the laser out to about 125-150ft. in deep darkness. Area lights dim the result and i"m good only to about 100ft.

I'd like to see further of course and use it for targets and if I ever get back into the brush.

I think the CX 4 in 40sw ought to be good to 200- 300ft. Surely up to 200ft. That's also why I don't want to get too deep $$$$ into this project. Illumination though is a MUST. 10x should be an improvement over the green light.

As much as I'd like to get a nice 7mm or 338, etc., I gotta be honest. It would just hang on some hooks on the wall... for damn ever, seeing little if any use.

Alternatively, I'm thinking too to get a 10/22 of one kind or another... and use it for targeting without spending a ton.

So I f I can get a scope that'll play well under 200 but out to 300 that's my ticket... and it needs to be somehow set onto a pick rail... I suppose.

Thanks for those models. I'll give 'em a look monyana
Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

.... for me, life becomes less and less shocking with every pull of the trigger.