The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Best Progressive Press
Lee Pro 1000 6 14.29%
Dillon Square Deal B 2 4.76%
Dillon RL550B 24 57.14%
Dillon RL650B 10 23.81%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 16, 2004, 09:08 PM   #1
strange246

Which Progressive Press

I'm trying to decide on a progressive press, either the Lee Pro 1000, Dillon RL550B or the Dillon Square Deal B, I've loaded rounds on my uncles RL550B, but I've not used the Square Deal or the Lee before, I'll be using it for .38, .357, .44mag and .45acp, for plinking use so I dont need the absolute consistancy of a single stage, and I really have no need to load rifle rounds and I dont forsee any need in the future. I like the price and features of the Lee Pro but I like the warranty on the Dillons...any opinions on the three?

https://home.comcast.net/~72demon/
Old November 16, 2004, 11:46 PM   #2
rwilson452

Which Press?

I went with the Lee loadmaster. I got it cheaply as a factory second off their web site. they often have factory seconds or rebuilds for a reasonable price. It was cheaper than a store bought Lee 1000. I have since then bought most of the attachments of expand it and have loaded 1000's of .38 and .45ACP with it. no problems. You just need to read the manual and set it up exactly the way they tell you. If your not an experienced reloader, I would suggest you take it real slow and double check everything when starting out.
Old November 17, 2004, 12:36 AM   #3
wichaka

I've got a RL550B...........nothing better than a Dillon.
Old November 17, 2004, 01:08 AM   #4
PinnedAndRecessed

For the calibers you mentioned you can't go wrong with the Square Deal by Dillon. It's auto indexing which means that you just pull the lever and each shell automatically progresses to the next station.

Plus, and this is the best part, if anything goes wrong, ever, Dillon will repair or replace it. Free.

I've had my square deal for about 10 years. This past week the primers started falling on the floor instead of the priming station.

I called Dillon. I immediately got a live person. I told him the problem. He said it was (this, this and this). He said they would ship the parts, no charge, the next day. I asked him for some other parts, too. Those parts weren't broken, but I wanted them anyway. He said no problem. They'd be in the mail.

I said since I had him on the phone, I had another part that was cracked. It had cracked about seven years ago, actually. He said they don't make that part anymore. They replaced it with a different part. He said he'd mail me the new replacement.

All of this at no charge to me and for a machine that's over 10 years old.

They're selling the Square Deal for $289. That's everything you need for one caliber. The dies, by the way, are carbide, an option for other reloading presses.

You can't go wrong with Dillon. And for straight wall pistol cases, the Square Deal is the fastest/best.
Old November 18, 2004, 06:41 PM   #5
K9 Big Dog

Don't rule out the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive. Lots of nice features, great price, easy to use and set up. I haven't had to use their service dept. yet , but I hear they're excellent too.
Old November 18, 2004, 09:53 PM   #6
VAdoublegunner

I second the Hornady L-N-L Progressive. I like mine so much that I just bought a second one so I can leave one set up for large primers and one for small, not that changing the primer parts is all that difficult. Caliber and shell plate change is a snap. For example, I found the 45 (Long) Colt shell plate works just fine with 44 mags or specials. Similarly, the 38/357 works good for 40 S&W. Just set up your dies in the LNL bushings for a 30 sec. change out, adjust your powder, and off you go! Never any problems with primer feed (on the current model, that is - some earlier models had a plastic part that occasionally broke or caused misfeeds). The case-actuated powder measure is really easy to change out powders and trouble free in operation. The only part I've replaced is a cartridge rim retaining spring and Hornady sent me a bagfull for the price of a phone call. Not that I'll ever need a bagfull, I twisted it and broke the old one after about 5000 rounds.

I know a lot of guys like Dillon, and they are very good presses with a history of good service. The ones I've used have worked well. But ... I bought a *2nd* Hornady LNL-AP. And ya couldn't give me 2 Dillons for one of them.
Old November 18, 2004, 10:09 PM   #7
Arc Angel

I've got a Dillon XL-650. No complaints - except that it may be a little too fast and a little too automated for my older hands. One thing's for sure, though, unless you're in the reloading business you really don't need to go faster!

(And I'll agree about the STAR!)

Last edited by Arc Angel; November 19, 2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old November 19, 2004, 09:37 AM   #8
Quantrill

I voted for the Dillon 550 as I have one and it does me well. BUT actually the best progressive is the original STAR and always has been. Quantrill
Old November 20, 2004, 02:43 AM   #9
Paul Fitz Jones

The Star is the best since 1931

And loads millions of rounds without Dillon telephone consultants and can and is passed to sons, grandsons and great grandsons.

Paul Fitz Jones
Old November 20, 2004, 06:05 PM   #10
Tacoma

I won't argue the quality of any Dillon. However, I will argue that if your not shooting 5000 rounds /year, the lee will payfor itself allot faster. In fact, if you go to the lee website, you can buy a factory reconditioned lee 1000 , completely set up with dies of your choice for $84 delivered. Lee is also excellent ( and cheap) with customer service if you need them. I have two 1000's that I bought this way (as it's not even worth changing over calibers at that price.) Mine have made 1000's of rounds with no issues. Simply drop a bullet, pull the lever, catch the round. They just need a little adjusting/cleaning now and then to keep the primers /cases feeding smoothly.
hth
Old November 22, 2004, 10:54 PM   #11
Black_Snowman

I went with the Lee Load Master because it was a smaller investment and I just wanted something versatile that was faster than a single stage. If loaded any more than I do now, like if I participated in competitions, I'd spring for the 650 or a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP.

The Load Master is functional and a good press but can be a little more sensative to adjustments than the Dillion or Hornady. If you just are sick of cranking out ammo slowly on your single stage then get the Lee, if you're going to be cranking out a thousand rounds a week go for a higher end machine.
Old November 24, 2004, 08:50 PM   #12
grunewaj

This poll would be a lot more interesting if there were more progressive presses to choose from. The RCBS, and Hornady presses are popular presses and aren't an option. This is really only a choice between a Lee and two Dillon presses. I would vote for Hornady, but since I can't, I'd probably have to vote for the Dillon 650, though I think it's over priced compared to the Hornady.

Just my $0.02.
The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office. Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them. Nine times out of ten, that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods.

-- H. L. Mencken
Old November 24, 2004, 11:49 PM   #13
Cortland

Hornady Lock-N-Load AP!! Read my Hornady/Dillon fever-dream/rant here.
Old November 27, 2004, 12:09 PM   #14
AustinMike

My 550B has been great the past 6 years that I've owned it. Dillon stuff is a bit pricey, especially when comparing to Lee. But, the machines are built solid though and their customer support takes care of you. They've replaced parts for free for me a couple times, that were broken due to no fault of theirs (my stupidity in one case and the rest just normal wear and tear.) These days where you generally have to pay for extended warranties and still get crappy service half the time, Dillon's commitment to quality and customer satisfaction is refreshing. Their "no bull ****" lifetime warranty is for real!
Old November 27, 2004, 08:48 PM   #15
Stan_TheGunNut

I voted for the dillon 550 because that's what I have, and I love it. From what you posted, you might be better off with the dillon square deal. It's a bit cheaper than the 550 and you're only loading pistol rounds. However, should you ever decide to reload for a rifle, you're outta luck with the square deal. Only you can make that call. I don't have ane experience with the others you mentioned.
Old December 6, 2004, 01:14 PM   #16
The Plainsman

Hornady LnL AP press

I can't find the button for the Hornady LnL AP press. Go Big Red.
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
--Thomas Jefferson
Old December 11, 2004, 08:27 PM   #17
freecdp45

Have a Dillon SDB that I could not be happier with.