The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 12, 2012, 04:44 AM   #1
UncleGrumpy

Problem with New Norma .220 Swift Brass

Hi,

I am starting to use some new Norma brass for my 220 Swift. I have found a percentage of them that have rims over sized and they don't fit in my shell holder.

On average the rims measure:

Good ones .467" Bad ones .4715"

So do I need to toss the "bad" ones or is my Lee shell holder the problem?

Cheers
Old September 12, 2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Creeper

Per SAAMI, maximum rim diameter for .220 Swift is .473".

Cheers,
C
Old September 12, 2012, 04:55 PM   #3
steve4102

What brand and what number shell holder are you using?
Old September 12, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
603Country

You can Google up the shellholder number. My reloading gear is in the barn workshop, so I can't go look at it to get the number. Anyway, there were always some cases that were snug in my 220 shellholder, though I don't remember any that wouldn't fit at all. The 220 cases and that shellholder were the only combo that has ever given me any fit problems.

Still, Norma brass is my favorite for all of my rifles.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:10 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

It's the shell holder.
Lee's shell holder is not actually designed for .220 Swift. It's designed for 6.5 Jap, and just happens to usually work for .220 Swift (until they let their tolerances drift...).

The problem is almost always the portion of the shell holder that's supposed to engage the extractor groove of the case. It's too narrow (around 0.415"), so the smaller rebated extractor groove of some .220 Swift brass won't fit (~0.420-0.425").

Sometimes, a sloppy .30-06 shell holder will work, but not always.
If you happen to have one, a .41 Mag shell holder sometimes works. (But you may need to manually aid alignment while the case enters a die.)
When I was still reloading .220 Swift, I had to keep 4 ".220 Swift" shell holders on hand; just to be able to handle all of the varied case head dimensions. ...and I only had three lots of brass: boxed Norma (same lot), W-W (one lot), and newer Winchester (one lot). It's not bad brass... it's just that almost no one makes a shell holder specifically for .220 Swift.

It wasn't until nearly the end of my .220 Swift experience, that I bought a Hornady shell holder. It never gave me trouble. ...which isn't surprising, considering it was designed specifically for .220 Swift/.225 Win.

Just to be sure...
Check the rim thickness of your brass, as well. I found the rims on Norma .220 Swift brass to be quite variable in all dimensions. They're usually within tolerance, but not very consistent.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:25 AM   #6
UncleGrumpy

Thanks all,

It is the LEE #10 shell holder that I just got. I am pretty sure it is the diameter of the rim causing the problem. My measurements of the brass's extractor groove don't show any differences.

I must admit that I was surprised to be blaming Norma brass as the culprit I was always brought up being told it is the best. (Sorry Norma)

It has me even more surprised that the long standing LEE company could be selling stuff this far out of whack. (Wake Up LEE)

If I have any luck I will let you all know.

Cheers
Old September 13, 2012, 08:43 AM   #7
603Country

Now that Frankenmauser has mentioned that it's the Lee shellholder that's the problem, I went and looked. My 220 shellholder, the 'snug' one, is a Lee. But it has worked for me for decades, so I guess I'll keep it for now.