The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 24, 2011, 01:29 PM   #26
William T. Watts

If my Pistol or rifle wasn't up to the task I would replace it with a magnum, that's called common sense. To the original poster C0untzer0 I hope your not seriously considering purchasing a pistol that may have been subjected to higher than +P+ pressures. This thread makes me a bit uncomfortable after reading some of the responses, it only takes being stupid one time that could result in consequences that last a life time! William

Last edited by William T. Watts; June 24, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
Old June 24, 2011, 03:38 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I sense serious laziness, reading comprehension issues, or both, from a lot of people responding to this thread.

READ what the OP has said!!

HE DOESN'T WANT LOADS OR A GUN THAT'S BEEN LOADED TO THOSE LEVELS OR EVEN A GUN CAPABLE OF LOADS RATED +P+!!!!

HE IS CONCERNED ABOUT BUYING A GUN THAT MAY HAVE BEEN SUBJECTED TO SUCH LOADS BUT WAS NOT SURE IF THE CASE ITSELF COULD EVEN BE LOADED TO THOSE LEVELS AND, AS SUCH, WAS NOT SURE IF HE EVEN SHOULD BE CONCERNED OR NOT!!

For crying out loud!! READ!!
Old June 24, 2011, 07:31 PM   #28
FM12

Can it? Probably...Should it? Naw. Snot worth any increase in speed for the increase in pressure and beating of ur pistol. Just MHO. YMMV.
Old June 26, 2011, 09:40 AM   #29
Clark

Quote:
C0untZer0

I am going to look at a Glock this weekend, I know the Glocks are designed to handle +P.

I was hoping that the worst case scenario for loading 9mm hot would be the commercially availble +P+ like Buffalo Bore.

I guess I am worried about the previous owner fired hot ammo through it and was hoping that you couldn't make 9mm so hot that it would damage a Glock - but that's too much to ask for I guess.

Someone could always load to +P+ pressures with regular brass and blown it up I am guessing...
The pressure is not likely to cause wear on the Glock, recoil is.
The Glock 19 with too much recoil has the slide hit the frame.

Here is a Glock 19 that has shot a lot of hot 9mm ammo, much hotter than any +P+ commercially available.
In the pics I have tried to label, in red, the two surfaces that collide when there is too much recoil.
It is ~ a 12 ounce slide hitting an ~ 5 ounce frame.
If your hands were made of metal, the frame would take a much bigger beating, but the compliance of your hand's web allows to frame to move.

Can you see a slight deformation of the plastic frame?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glock 19 9mm slide stop 5 ounce frame.jpg (86.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Glock 19 9mm slide stop.jpg (69.0 KB, 20 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 26, 2011, 05:53 PM   #30
wncchester

"Can the 147 +P+ be made hotter than it already is, in +P+ brass? "

Sure it can. How much depends only on how hot you want to go and IF you want to get more than one shot per pistol.