The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 17, 2006, 06:08 PM   #1
drdirk

rogers & spencer

Sometimes you get lucky: I bought a near mint Rogers and Spencer Black Powder revolver off a guy for $80. I have a Ruger (with conversion cylinder) that I love and used to have a 58 Remington that my brother in law now has. Don't know much about the Rogers and Spencer but it looks very similar to the 58 Remingtons. Not much info on this forum either. Any of you guys have one and what it the word on it. Anything to watch out for, any recommendation on the load? How come so few are around. Looks as solid, if not more so than a 58 Remington. Mine is from Euroarms, at least this is what it says on it.

Any suggestion on what holster will fit? Would like to buy an inexpensive holster for it and carry it in the woods.

Thanks for any feedback and suggestions!
Old March 17, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2
Hafoc

I don't know how the reproductions are- never shot one, never even saw one in person. I've read some good things about them. Supposedly the Rogers and Spencer is a good solid piece.

Its history is a bit odd. What I read about it, I read long ago, so this may not be entirely correct.

Rogers and Spencer, of Utica, New York iirc, were manufacturing a number of revolvers during the Civil War. These included an odd-looking double action, the Pettingill, mainly notable because its barrel and ramming lever look identical to the one on the Rogers and Spence revolver.

As i remember the story, they were investigated for fraud and lost their contracts, although it turned out they weren't guilty of anything. Then the head honcho for arms, who had been involved in investigating them, signed another contract with them for 5000 improved revolvers. The R&S was the result- a much more conventional revolver than the earlier designs the company made. The book I read suggested this was done to try to recompense R&S for what they'd lost when their earlier contracts were canceled, more or less wrongfully.

Be that as it may, Rogers and Spencer made the 5000 revolvers and delivered them. And then the Civil War ended, before a single one was ever issued. The whole lot went into storage. However, since they were actually purchased by the government and delivered during the Civil War, they are allowed in skirmishes by the North-South Skirmish Association.

The entire 5000 revolvers went into storage. They stayed in some warehouse or other for decades, then got sold off (still unissued and unused) as surplus. Surplus dealers sold them to the public. Since they were never used in (official) battle, a fair number of them even today are in excellent shape, with very little wear and tear.

There aren't many around because the Remingtons were made in huge numbers and used throughout the Civil War and afterward; the R&S in small numbers, and never issued to the army at all. But they were a good, solid design. If the Union forces had been issued R&S instead of Colt and Remington from the beginning of the war, it wouldn't have hurt their performance any, I'd wager. The R&S, as far as design and performance goes, rates comparison with the best.
Old March 18, 2006, 01:25 AM   #3
oldwheat

......If my memory serves me ( & it frequently doesn't ) , the total production was some 5800 in number with around 800 going to the civilian market....I believe that there is conflict of opinion as to the exact number but apparently there were a number in use before Bannerman's flooded the market in the early 20th century.....
Old March 19, 2006, 09:42 AM   #4
drdirk

interesting history

Thanks guys, interesting history. My gun is made (or imported) by Euroarms. On the barrel I also see a "PN" mark. I assume this is Pietta, but have no idea. It looks solid and the tigger is better than the 58 Remington I used to have. Have not shot it so far. Just put on some caps and it hit them VERY hard, so hard that they fell apart!!! Seem like a very powerful mainspring.
Old March 19, 2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Old Dragoon

Drdirk,
Euroarms is not Pietta. the PN is a proofhouse mark. Euroarms/Armi San Paolo is a seperate entity then either Pietta or Uberti. They have been in business since the early 70's Thay make Rogers and Spencer Model, a '58 Remington Model(actually based on an early Remington-Beals or Old Model Army) and at least two Colt Models, a '51 Navy and I believe a '60 Army model. They also make several Civil war era Muskets.

I have two Euroarms '58 Remingtons, one a newer one, and one a 1973 model.
I believe they compare favorably with both the Pietta and Uberti. I like them because I have small hands and they ffell and balance better than the orther two.

There is a Euroarms '51 navy in my future.

Shoot your Rogers and Spencer and have fun.
Old March 22, 2006, 09:20 AM   #6
drdirk

Manufacturer of Rogers & Spencer

Thanks for the info. I am kind of glad to hear that Euroarms is NOT Pietta. Frankly I had not had the best of luck with there guns. They just do not seem as well made. This one looks a lot better. May get a conversion cylinder for it as well if I ever come across one cheap. Love the balance of the gun. The only thing I am not crazy about is the loading lever. Looks a little weaker than the Ruger.