The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2001, 11:15 PM   #1
elper

Is 5 acres enough for a small firing range with a shotgun?

Also, does anyone know where a good skeet launcher would be sold?

-elper
Old January 26, 2001, 07:19 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, nope. Even #8 shot will carry well over 100 yards, so 5 acres is not big enough.
Old January 26, 2001, 09:52 AM   #3
M1911

Have to agree with Dave, 5 acres is nowhere near enough. Your shot and birds will land beyond the boundaries of your land. Sorry.

M1911
Old January 26, 2001, 10:15 AM   #4
Jeff, CA

It might be

It depends on how the property is shaped, and where you set up. A 5-acre square is 467 feet on a side, if my calculations are correct. If length-to-width is 1.5:1, the long dimension is 572 feet.

Do you want a true skeet setup (2 towers, 2 launchers), or are you planning on something more informal? A mail-order supplier like Cabela's will usually have a variety of inexpensive manual launchers.

Old January 26, 2001, 10:18 AM   #5
handgun357

If it works out to be shaped correctly to put in a range, be sure to check with zoning. It would not be in your favor to put a range in just to be told to take it out.
Good Luck.........
Old January 26, 2001, 10:50 AM   #6
FPrice

elper,

I am interested in your question, not because I have an answer, but because I would like to retire and buy enough land to have my own pistol/rifle range, and have a similar question.

The answers you have received are, I am sure, correct, if you have flat land. Now, if your land had some sort of a natural backstop, such as a near vertical wall of sufficient height, then 5 acres might suffice. If the fields of fire were oriented correctly.

My problem is too find enough land with a natural backstop which could meet the most stringent safety considerations I can find. You have to make sure that any bullet you fire will NOT impact in populated land.

Frosty
MOLON LABE