The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 12, 2009, 07:12 AM   #26
JasonG

The current PT___ series should definitely be viewed as SA with restrike capability. the internals have a sear mechanisim that holds the hammer fully cocked, the safety also keeps the slide from moving out of battery and the pin block from moving. The "putting the first round 6' in front of me" issue was from older DA/SA models.
That said, use the safety. While the take-up is long due to the restrike capability, it is nearly weightless.
If the gun is new both the safety and the takedown pin will be snug. 50 or so "draw and unsafety" drills will cure that as well as get your thumb in gear. I confessed to a friend last month that one day I came home and unholstered it (normally it stays in the holster) for the night. In the morning when I was getting dressed, I found the safety was off ! Point of the story, practice and the drawing and clicking the safety off will become a subconcsios action.
"Bones, what killed him ?" "Acute lead poisoning Jim....." ST-TOS#61
Old February 12, 2009, 11:41 PM   #27
Dallas Jack

All of the Mil Pro PT__ guns are striker fired. The 1st & 2nd gen guns were DAO and were as safe as a Glock to carry with safety off. (the striker was not cocked) As has been said the 3rd gen guns are cocked and as such should be treated as any cocked single action would be. The "long trigger" pull is a bunch of takeup at 0 lbs. of presure followed by a short 5-6 lb. SA pull.

I've got 3 Mil Pro's (3rd gen) and had 3 of the 2nd gen guns. As a DAO (2nd gen) I never had a problem with carrying safety off but I would not consider carrying the new guns (3rd gen) with safety off.

There it is clear as mud.
Dallas Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0617B.jpg (241.2 KB, 16 views)
Old February 13, 2009, 08:49 PM   #28
izzkidioto

Get a new gun that you are more comfortable with. No sense in fighting against something you are going to be fighting with!
Old February 15, 2009, 03:47 PM   #29
TRX

Model 1911 - safety off, hammer down. It's far easier to thumb back the hammer than to try to scrinch my thumb up to the safety lever.

No real solution about it ejecting its empties into my face, though. At least my glasses keep the brass out of my eyes.

- Dave (left-handed)
Old February 15, 2009, 05:19 PM   #30
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Model 1911 - safety off, hammer down. It's far easier to thumb back the hammer than to try to scrinch my thumb up to the safety lever
I would hazard to guess that this is perfectly safe to carry modern 1911's this way if they have firing pin safeties.