The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 13, 2000, 11:56 AM   #1
Clark Kent

Am new here, and had some difficulty getting my profile signature right. In doing so, learned that posters don't have right to delete their own posts. Any special reason for this? Also, it would be nice to have a preview option, to test out stuff -- like getting italics and boldface right on a profile signature -- before they appear in a forum.

My apologies if these questions have been addressed elsewhere. I'm new. This does look like an excellent site. - Clark

------------------
Idiot, n. A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. -- Ambrose Bierce
Old June 13, 2000, 03:13 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Clark, please see my note to you in the PPK thread in the Handguns forum pertaining to deleting posts. I went there before coming here and I hate to repeat myself.
Old June 13, 2000, 03:46 PM   #3
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Clark, doing the preview stuff would require a hack to the software (UBB doesn't include the functionality). As for the delete issue, you could contact the forum moderator(s) and ask them... and don't worry, we've seen everything.

BTW, your bold and italics in your .sig are fine. Bierce is always good content as well.
Old June 13, 2000, 03:51 PM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

UBB is customer friendly software... it makes for a good looking and fun to use forum.
The problem is that when you are successful like TFL is, UBB becomes a bloated and angry hog to handle.
Rich works much harder than should be allowed just to keep this zeplin airborne.

One of the features of UBB is that should the first post in a thread be deleted - the whole thread goes away too.
For that reason, this is disabled.
The option you have is to EDIT out the message. And that works just fine.

------------------
You might laugh in the face of FEAR... but unless your armed, its a nervous, unconvincing, little laugh.
Old June 13, 2000, 06:55 PM   #5
Clark Kent

Thanx for all the comments and suggestions, guys. Mal, I did see your post in the PPK thread. George, perhaps I didn't do it right, but I tried editing out the message, and received a notice something to the effect that all the forms had not been filled in. I took that to mean the message window.

Anyway, altho I had hoped to be able to add a little color to my signature, I did manage to get the italics and bold working.

Thanx again, all.

------------------
Idiot, n. A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling. -- Ambrose Bierce
Old June 13, 2000, 09:07 PM   #6
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Usually when you see a message about forms not being complete, it means that you didn't fill in your UserName and/or Password. Give it another try and let us know how it works out.

Also, I would advise against editing any initial post so much that the original meaning is lost. This would just render all later responses nonsensical. Remember - TTPO (Think Twice, Post Once).

------------------
RKBA!
"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security"
Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4 Concealed Carry is illegal in Ohio.
Ohioans for Concealed Carry Website
Old June 14, 2000, 09:51 AM   #7
DC
Moderator Emeritus

You can't edit a post to "nothingness"...the software requires some characters present. Could be the reason you got the not all fields filled in.
That is why you'll sometimes see:

".....
(edited by yourname)"

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!